SportsWrath

Enough about coaching...what players does this team need? (incredibly long-winded)

fishgutmartyr

I like it Bigblue. Looks like a football player to me. I don't know about using a 2nd on TE, but one thing is for sure, the Giants need a lot of help on the offensive side of the ball in this draft. He looks to be one of those guys that even when he is covered, he's open, because he's so big and strong. I'm in.

CBS has him right now as the 5th ranked TE on their board. Hard to believe that 5 tight ends will go in the first two rounds. I think the Giants third rounder is at pick # 76. He could be a steal there.

I've seen him higher. To me he's better then Seferian Jenkins who's projected has an early second.

I don't think we resign Joseph and drafted Hankins to fill that 1 tech role. We haven't really had a true 3tech DT under Fewell and I think we draft one this year. I have us taken Ra'shede Hageman in the 1st. The future of the dline would be pretty good with JPP,Hageman,Hankins and Moore

Wow.. with all the problems we have at the OL, you think the Giants will go DT? I won't be shocked if it happens though... but I think a stud OT if available would be hard to pass on.

Wow.. with all the problems we have at the OL, you think the Giants will go DT? I won't be shocked if it happens though... but I think a stud OT if available would be hard to pass on.

I agree that OT is the way to go in with the 1st, but I also don't think it'll happen.

I think it gives us depth and options on the offensive line. If the draft pick excels AND Beatty returns to form, we could move Pugh to G and 3/5 of the line is in good shape. If the draft pick excels AND Beatty fails, we could move Pugh to LT and the draft pick at RT. Whether you agree with the shifting of guys on the line or not, the options are created by taking an OT.

I don't see the Giants investing 1st rounders in back to back years at the same position.

Buffalo extended Chandler last year. I want us to draft a TE has I'm not real thrilled about the FA options. C.J Fiedorowicz from Iowa is pretty much a Chandler clone. I think a second rounder.

They extended Chandler 2 years ago, for 2 years, he is a free agent.

We need interior line though. Not a OG worth taking a 12. We can get a good OG in round two or round 3. I don't want Pugh moved

They extended Chandler 2 years ago, for 2 years, he is a free agent.

Yeah, I thought it was last year. Anyways he 29 and He's not a fit now with McAdoo. I think we could look at a more explosive TE In the draft. My whole draft philosophy has changed

We need interior line though. Not a OG worth taking a 12. We can get a good OG in round two or round 3. I don't want Pugh moved

What happens this year when Beatty doesn't regain form or misses significant time due to his injury...or both? I understand not wanting to use a 1st rounder for strictly depth purposes with a possibility the guy doesn't see the field this year...but there's also a need for some level of insurance. There's also nothing to say that Pugh can't be just as good on the inside as he was on the outside this past season.

All I'm saying is that if it comes down to one of the better OTs in the draft and one of the better WRs in the draft...I'm taking the OT all day because of the flexibility it'd give us. Part of what made Pugh as valuable as he was on draft day was his ability to play across the line...not just one position. If the opportunity for one of the OTs presents itself, I'm just thinking...why not take advantage of Pugh's ability?

What happens this year when Beatty doesn't regain form or misses significant time due to his injury...or both? I understand not wanting to use a 1st rounder for strictly depth purposes with a possibility the guy doesn't see the field this year...but there's also a need for some level of insurance. There's also nothing to say that Pugh can't be just as good on the inside as he was on the outside this past season.

All I'm saying is that if it comes down to one of the better OTs in the draft and one of the better WRs in the draft...I'm taking the OT all day because of the flexibility it'd give us. Part of what made Pugh as valuable as he was on draft day was his ability to play across the line...not just one position. If the opportunity for one of the OTs presents itself, I'm just thinking...why not take advantage of Pugh's ability?

I think Pugh is more likely to move to LT than Guard. Even if he bulks up to 318, as TC mentioned, that's still a little light for a Guard. But you hit the big question on the nose - what do we have in William Beatty? And are there any escape clauses (AKA "team option") in that contract? Ideally, we'd draft a guy who could be a stud inside or outside - like Mathews, but from what I read, he'll be gone.

The Giants HAVE to dip in to FA and sign at least 2 OLs.

I don't think Beaty's injury is an issue at all... it's not that serious... I think his conistency is the problem. I can see the Giants shuffling the OL and I do think Pugh ends up on the left tackle.

I think Pugh is more likely to move to LT than Guard. Even if he bulks up to 318, as TC mentioned, that's still a little light for a Guard. But you hit the big question on the nose - what do we have in William Beatty? And are there any escape clauses (AKA "team option") in that contract? Ideally, we'd draft a guy who could be a stud inside or outside - like Mathews, but from what I read, he'll be gone.

The real issue is that we won't know what we have in Beatty until long after the time of getting a replacement passes...so I play the game cautious and prepare as if we won't have him available...and if we end up with 3 really good OTs, so be it. I'd rather have 3 (with some flexibility to use all 3 in some way, shape or form) than 1. Just my take.

The Giants HAVE to dip in to FA and sign at least 2 OLs.

I don't think Beaty's injury is an issue at all... it's not that serious... I think his conistency is the problem. I can see the Giants shuffling the OL and I do think Pugh ends up on the left tackle.

Agreed, I think we go Evan Dietrich-Smith was the C for Green Bay and Jon Asamoah OG from KC. First round I've changed many times, but I'll go with Greg Robinson OT from Auburn, third round Chris Watt OG from Notre Dame. Beatty is going to miss most offseason activities like Gmen said we have to prepare like we don't have him.

Agreed, I think we go Evan Dietrich-Smith was the C for Green Bay and Jon Asamoah OG from KC. First round I've changed many times, but I'll go with Greg Robinson OT from Auburn, third round Chris Watt OG from Notre Dame. Beatty is going to miss most offseason activities like Gmen said we have to prepare like we don't have him.

My understanding of Beaty's injury is that it's a broken leg... no ligament damage .. nothing.. should be up and running in 2 months.

Beatty was slow to round back into shape after the eye injury, let alone a broken leg. And as has been mentioned above, his play while healthy this year is a greater concern. I know he's got the big contract but the organization simply cannot put too many eggs in that basket going into camp & season. Brewer and Mosley don't inspire great confidence at this point, either. Either through draft (my preference) or FA (and don't know who, if anyone worth mentioning, is out there) if they don't bring in AT LEAST one OT, they are leaving themselves vulnerable to another difficult year for the Offense and their new OC.

We actually have the basic foundation of a very good team - BUT, Without a doubt, the O-line needs overhauling and we need a solid and DURABLE running back. Those are the areas that let us down this year. Solve those two problems and we're a completely different team...in a good way.

Unfortunately, since we are in cap hell, the "easy" fix can't be done by purchasing top shelf free agents.

We must get the cap situation in workable shape and probably rely on drafting really well this year, as well as sifting through the free agent pool and picking up a guy or two for the offensive line on a 1-yr contract who is nearing the end of his NFL road, but still has a potentially good year left in his legs.

Resign Nicks and draft in this order: OT, RB, OG/C, CB, TE, OG, surprise player from small school (maybe a huge center that's been overlooked)

That's probably to get his ass back into shape... He seems to lack the disciple to stay in shape it seems. I'd be surprised if he's not running by April.

I don't think it's out of the question we bring in someone for Beatty to fight with at RT and move Pugh to LT. It's not like the team to give up on someone a year after a big deal, but then this injury and his laziness comes into play.

We actually have the basic foundation of a very good team - BUT, Without a doubt, the O-line needs overhauling and we need a solid and DURABLE running back. Those are the areas that let us down this year. Solve those two problems and we're a completely different team...in a good way.

Unfortunately, since we are in cap hell, the "easy" fix can't be done by purchasing top shelf free agents.

We must get the cap situation in workable shape and probably rely on drafting really well this year, as well as sifting through the free agent pool and picking up a guy or two for the offensive line on a 1-yr contract who is nearing the end of his NFL road, but still has a potentially good year left in his legs.

Resign Nicks and draft in this order: OT, RB, OG/C, CB, TE, OG, surprise player from small school (maybe a huge center that's been overlooked)

I have OT,TE,OG,DT,CB,RB and I think we get two lineman in free agency and if we don't resign Nicks, go with someone like Maclin or Decker.

I think our interior o-line is in more need of fixing than the tackles.

Yes Beatty sucked, but the interior was just terrible which I think was more of a problem, if the interior is strong but the tackle is weak, he can usually at least still step up into the pocket.

I just read yesterday or the day before that we'll have in the neighborhood of 20M to spend this offseason, after contracts officially expire. AND we can increase that figure by restructuring/extending guys like Manning and Rolle.

Not exactly cap hell, but not a ton of money either.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/34001/big-blue-morning-reese-will-be-busy

I have OT,TE,OG,DT,CB,RB and I think we get two lineman in free agency and if we don't resign Nicks, go with someone like Maclin or Decker.

I have to agree that a stud TE could have a huge impact on the offense. With Pope gone, the new TE coach should be screaming for a tool he can work with. I would love to have a weapon for Eli like Witten is for Romo.

I don't know if I'd worry about a DT unless we lose Joseph because of cost. I'm more worried about CB depth than DT depth. But hey, there's a reason I don't make a half million a year advising teams what to do.

I have to agree that a stud TE could have a huge impact on the offense. With Pope gone, the new TE coach should be screaming for a tool he can work with. I would love to have a weapon for Eli like Witten is for Romo.

I don't know if I'd worry about a DT unless we lose Joseph because of cost. I'm more worried about CB depth than DT depth. But hey, there's a reason I don't make a half million a year advising teams what to do.

I think we can use a true 3 tech DT to develop behind Jenkins. I think the decision on Joseph is one, money and two, if we think Hankins can take that role.

My personal (fan point of view) opinion that if we fix the o-line and can move the ball on the ground, the ship gets righted. A stud TE or shutdown CB would be icing on the cake. I just don't worry all that much about the defensive line...and for that matter, I have a lot of confidence in the linebackers now that Beason is on board and the d-line is no longer porous as a sieve.

I don't think we can fix all problems in a single draft or with FA's, and at the same time reload for the future with quality backups. Must address the blood gushing from the jugular first - fix the cuts, scrapes, and broken bones after the bleeding is stopped.

I think our interior o-line is in more need of fixing than the tackles.

Yes Beatty sucked, but the interior was just terrible which I think was more of a problem, if the interior is strong but the tackle is weak, he can usually at least still step up into the pocket.

Very true. Is there a guard worthy of the 12th pick, though? I'm all for trading down and getting a guard later on, but it's been 8 years since we did something like that.

We don't have a whole lot behind Beatty and Pugh. Beatty comes with a LOT of questions next season. If he comes back at the same level he played this year, or if one of them becomes injured, we're screwed. It makes sense to get a tackle when we have a chance.