SportsWrath

Ben Macadoo

BIGBLUE01

It doesn't matter what O we run. Eli needs to be protected and he needs a big body tight end.

What worries me is his accuracy is to erratic for this style of Offense but if we can get him a big target at TE and a receiver who can adjust his body quickly it can work.

Good read:

Packers' McCarthy: Giants Hired the right man in McAdoo

Not long after Ben McAdoo learned Tom Coughlin and the Giants wanted to speak with him about their offensive coordinator vacancy, Packers head coach Mike McCarthy offered some advice to his young assistant.

"We talked at length about Coach Coughlin and what they've done there, and I thought that from day one those two would be an excellent fit," McCarthy told The Post on Friday morning in a phone interview from Green Bay. "I think he definitely hired the right man."

No one in the NFL knows the 36-year old McAdoo better than McCarthy and no one can break down what McAdoo will bring the Giants more accurately than McCarthy.

McCarthy brought McAdoo into the league back in 2004, when McCarthy was the Saints offensive coordinator, and the two worked together for more than a decade, with stops in New Orleans and San Francisco with the 49ers before spending the past eight years with the Packers.

"He's prepared himself a long time for this opportunity," McCarthy said. "I feel personally, we have a very strong relationship and I couldn't be more excited for Ben and his family. Professionally, I'm very proud of him."

In 2002, McCarthy was looking for an offensive quality control coach when he put a call in to McAdoo, who at the time was an assistant at Fairfield University. McCarthy was at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis and the two agreed to speak again.

"The next day I'm walking through the lobby there at the Canterbury Hotel and there's this young man in a suit sitting there with a bunch of playbooks," McCarthy recalled. "After the phone call, he jumped in his car, filled it up with gas and drove from Connecticut all the way to Indianapolis just to sit down and meet with me. I didn't know he was coming. I spent my lunch hour with him and we visited. It didn't work out, he ended up having an opportunity to go to the University of Pittsburgh that year as a graduate assistant and we hired him the following year with Saints.

"I've never forgotten that first meeting with Ben because just his desire and work ethic was evident from that day and it never ceased. That's the way he's always approached the game of football."

McCarthy entrusted McAdoo with the Packers tight ends for six years, and, the last two seasons, handed over Aaron Rodgers and the rest of the quarterbacks.

Asked what offensive system McAdoo will bring to the Giants, McCarthy said, "That’s a question for him. I think it will definitely be a product of his experiences. He"s creative, he believes in the hard-nosed approach and I think he's an excellent fit for Coach Coughlin."

Will it be some version of the West Coast offense?

"I would think so," McCarthy said. "I think the West Coach offense is a term that kind of blankets some people's systems. I still believe in the origin of the West Coast offense, but I think the approach of today's game is a little different, there's more things done at the line of scrimmage than in the old days. I think Ben will do a great job of utilizing his resources and customizing the system to utilize his personnel."

McAdoo never called plays for McCarthy. In fact, he has never called plays at any level.

"It's not a concern," McCarthy said. "I always felt if you coach the quarterback, you're also in the daily grind of preparing the quarterback - there's no better preparation to call plays. Ben's been sitting there a long time calling plays in his head. He was my eyes in the press box. There's no better targeting for calling plays on the field than to be the guy in the box that has to regulate the game and watch the game and be two or three plays ahead. He's done that for us the last two years, so I don't think that will be an issue at all."

If McAdoo is a hit with the Giants, he could be in line to succeed Coughlin, who turns 68 in August.

"I think he's definitely on that track," McCarthy said of McAdoo's possible future as an NFL head coach. "He's a simple man, but he's a complex individual. He's not going to get off track, he's very, very focused on the priorities of his life, both personally and professionally, so I can you promise you this: He'll pour everything he has into the offense in New York.

"I'm a Ben McAdoo fan, absolutely."

http://nypost.com/2014/01/17/packers-mccarthy-giants-definitely-hired-right-man-in-mcadoo/