SportsWrath

Ben Macadoo

BIGBLUE01

I guess this means we'll be a running team, because the last McAdoo I knew wouldn't pass to anybody!

And when is the last time a new Offensive Coordinator DID NOT say he wants an "up tempo, attacking offense"?

All we can do is hope for the best and wait & see.

Kind of interesting that Flaherty is still here, considering the state of the oline.

Most of our picks have been busts. McCants get cut and becomes a starter for the Raiders. Beatty fell off. And other than Pugh, the only other player he developed that played a reasonable level this year is Boothe. Maybe Cordle.

Not that I think he's a bad coach, but based on the measuring stick for Pope and Ingram, I would have thought he would be gone, too.

Kind of interesting that Flaherty is still here, considering the state of the oline.

Most of our picks have been busts. McCants get cut and becomes a starter for the Raiders. Beatty fell off. And other than Pugh, the only other player he developed that played a reasonable level this year is Boothe. Maybe Cordle.

Not that I think he's a bad coach, but based on the measuring stick for Pope and Ingram, I would have thought he would be gone, too.

Might be waiting to see what McAdoo wants. Perhaps McAdoo wanted someone else until he realized Flaherty was a possibility. I don't think any offensive coach with the Giants should feel safe after Pope was let go.

Might be waiting to see what McAdoo wants. Perhaps McAdoo wanted someone else until he realized Flaherty was a possibility. I don't think any offensive coach with the Giants should feel safe after Pope was let go.

True, and maybe that was the point of the move. I assume McAdoo would have a level of comfort in finding a TE coach, knowing through experience what's needed.

Hasn't Whimper been the starting tackle in Jacksonville for years too?

I don't know why... MaCadoo is west coast coordinator. Eli is not West Coast QB. This hiring doesn't make sense to me...

Eli has never been asked to run that kind of system. I think that the west coast system is designed to get guys open faster, as a result of the play design moreso that relying on the player to beat the guy across the line outright. I'm glad we have a guy who has that background because it'll be nice to see those wrinkles brought in.

Eli has done well at times in a 2 minute drill uptempo, no huddle kind of offense. I think he can recognize and make good decisions. His issue is that he'll try to do too much, especially if he starts to feel it's all on his shoulders. No run game, not much time to throw, and receivers who weren't getting open all plagued this season from the get-go.

I also think a west coast system will help the current offensive line tremendously in the passing game. The running game, still a concern and cause for an upgrade to the offensive line.

I am curious if Macadoo will be bringing in his own offense, or if he'll just be working with Coughlin's offense.

I don't know that the team gives him the ability to fire Pope and Ingram if he's not bringing in a substantial amount of his own offense. I think too, it's telling that they didn't go with Sullivan. If the Giants wanted the same thing as last season, they'd have kept Gilbride or signed Sullivan. I think that the comments made of the offense being broken are enough for us fans to know that the Giants are looking to change, but not for the sake of change. Rather, they know what they were doing no longer worked and they're approaching this change deliberately and carefully.

I don't know that the team gives him the ability to fire Pope and Ingram if he's not bringing in a substantial amount of his own offense. I think too, it's telling that they didn't go with Sullivan. If the Giants wanted the same thing as last season, they'd have kept Gilbride or signed Sullivan. I think that the comments made of the offense being broken are enough for us fans to know that the Giants are looking to change, but not for the sake of change. Rather, they know what they were doing no longer worked and they're approaching this change deliberately and carefully.

oh, that was Macadoo's call? If so, this sounds almost like a head-coach-in-training....

Yeah the league is changing as a whole, you need to be able to play all aspects of the game on offense, you can no longer be a ground team or a passing team you need to be able to do both and you need to do both well if you want to win. Look at some of the teams in the playoffs, the Patriots are a pass first team yet come playoff time they have relied more on the running game then Brady. The Seahawks have a great running game but when they need to they also have a very potent passing attack as well, the days of relying only on one aspect of the offence to win the game is long gone.

I hope if anything Macaroni brings in a system that doesnt need to reinvent the wheel but something that can adapt and change from week to week. Now obviously he has some big hurdles to get over with the players and personnel but maybe in a season or two he can shape his side of the team how he wants and if it's anything like Green Bays approach I'm all for it.

oh, that was Macadoo's call? If so, this sounds almost like a head-coach-in-training....

Maybe not entirely his call, but I'm sure if he wanted to keep them, they'd likely have been kept.

And yes, I think the fact that Coughlin has not yet been extended beyond 2014 leaves the door wide open for McAdoo to move right up. Maybe that's not definitive just yet...but if I'm the Giants, I was advertising the OC position ensuring a chance at a HC position 1-2 years down the road depending upon what Coughlin decides and depending upon what success is had in the interim.