SportsWrath

Ben Macadoo

BIGBLUE01

Sullivan had been considered the early favorite due to his prior connections and knowledge of the offense, but some in the Giants hierarchy have been pushing Coughlin to consider a more drastic change, and the hiring of McAdoo indicates that is indeed possible.

Great to hear this

Eli has always been at his best when running a hurry up offense. It's been that way his whole Giant career. For the life of me I don't know why they never ran a more uptempo offense.

They had preferred the more cerebral, wait til there's 1 second on the game clock to snap the ball ;)

i think it's more of mara stepping in and telling coughlin the party's over

maybe it's early but it's kinda weird that there's no extension for him yet

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Ben-McAdoo-named-Offensive-Coordinator/75fcdfe8-a926-4598-ab5a-43d53602ae1a

“Think about what they overcame this year in Green Bay,” Coughlin said, with Rodgers getting hurt and three other quarterbacks playing. "One of them (Flynn) wasn’t even on their roster to start the season. And they still got in the playoffs. We beat them when Tolzien was in there. Then Flynn came in and they won a critical, critical game with him at quarterback in Dallas. They lost to the Steelers when they could have cushioned their opportunity a little bit. The ball was down in close and it just got away from them. But then they beat Chicago (in Week 17 in a winner-take-all game in which Rodgers returned).

“(McAdoo) is a detailed, very, very meticulous coach who has been greatly influenced by Mike McCarthy. He has a great relationship with him. The thing I was impressed by is, he’s been in San Francisco, he’s been in Green Bay, now he has an opportunity to come to the New York Giants. He thinks these clubs represent the NFL. He feels privileged to be here. He’s looking forward in a very humble way to becoming a New York Giant.”

Manning has played in the same offensive system throughout his career, which is entering its 11th season. Now he and other offensive players must learn new terminology and plays, which Coughlin suggested should energize everyone.

“Here’s what I expect,” Coughlin said. “I think the players will respond to this. We’re going to try to compromise the system with what we have here. However, there will be change. And that change will be very positive and very well-received by our team and our players. And if our players are scrambling around to learn a new system – good. That’s another fire in their rear end.”

He’s a western Pennsylvania guy who has earned everything and he’s earned it the hard way,” Coughlin said. “He’s a smart guy. He’s done it the right way. He’s not a flashy guy. He’s a smart, intelligent guy to work with. He works very, very hard. He’s got the dirt under his fingernails. He’s my kind of guy. He’s got the blue-collar work ethic.”

Coughlin interviewed McAdoo yesterday at the Giants’ headquarters in the Quest Diagnostics Training Center.

“He’s a very detail-oriented, meticulous teacher, a fundamentalist, first and foremost,” Coughlin said. “I was very, very impressed by the presentation that he made, in terms of the fundamental details of his presentation, whether it is quarterback fundamentals, offensive philosophy. I was just very, very impressed with that.

“Whether he was the tight ends or the quarterbacks coach, he has prepared for this type of an interview for a long time. He comes with two notebooks, all the things he’s put together and thought about and when given the opportunity, wanted to present.”

For what it's worth, it sounds like Coughlin is into the hire. So who knows? I don't think you can ignore your coach--you either accept his feedback, or fire him.

From the way Coughlin described the guy, they're very similar.

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Ben-McAdoo-named-Offensive-Coordinator/75fcdfe8-a926-4598-ab5a-43d53602ae1a

For what it's worth, it sounds like Coughlin is into the hire. So who knows? I don't think you can ignore your coach--you either accept his feedback, or fire him.

From the way Coughlin described the guy, they're very similar.

i'm sure coughlin had input on the coach and i have no reason to believe that he was thrust upon him, but i would not be surprised if his first choice was sullivan