SportsWrath

Officially drafting 12th

Bigblue25

Do you guys think it was more of a shitty redskins defense or talent we didn't realize with Jernigan. I was ready to give him the Sinorice Moss tag, them he had a couple good games. If he's for real, i like our WR cite, even without Nicks. I say beg up our O line

I don't think one good game is enough to render a verdict. And with a healthy Nicks our O is dangerous... I'm not sure if nicks can get back to form. He does look like he's slowed down a bit but he's young so who knows.... If he's not on the team, the Giants better draft or sign a #1.

Free agents I would like to see added to Jim's

Matt Slauson OG

Mike Pollak OG/ C

Alteraun Verner CB

Chris Harris CB

If not Pitta

Brandon Pettigrew TE

Michael Johnson DE

Matt Slauson OG Just signed 4 year deal with DA Bears

Mike Pollak OG/ C

Alteraun Verner CB

Chris Harris CB

If not Pitta

Brandon Pettigrew TE

Michael Johnson DE

1st: CB <--- Best prospect at his position in the draft, Prince might be our only legit corner going into next season. Secondary needs help in a bad way.

2nd: Guard <--- Snee is done, we need to find an replacement for Eli's sake. Someone who can lock down the position for 8+ years.

3rd: Center <--- O'hara was hugely underrated and his absence has been felt since leaving, Eli needs a new leader of the O-line.

4th: QB <--- Which ever QB has the biggest Boom or Bust in the draft, hopefully one that can hit a WR in the chest. Make them and Nassib fight it out if Eli puts up another 20+ INT season and ship Eli out for draft picks if we can.

5th: OT <--- Just another body in camp, maybe one who would be able to replace Beatty if he doesnt become his old self.

6th: WR <--- Make it Ramses Barden 2.0, find the tallest S.O.B. in the draft.

This will all likely change since I don't really read up on college players till the draft gets closer.

Seriously, you're kidding about that 4th round pick, right?

Seriously, you're kidding about that 4th round pick, right?

Well I put that in there for you, plus I mean after JRs draft history I just dont know what he'll do.

With Eli getting hurt this season and going into his mid 30s, the FO might not be set on the future being decided between Nassib and some journyman QB, I could see JR blowing another pick on QB, letting Painter go having Nassib as the backup. But like I said this is only JRs line of thinking with his recent draft history, bring in players to sit behind other players.

Matt Slauson OG Just signed 4 year deal with DA Bears

Mike Pollak OG/ C

Alteraun Verner CB

Chris Harris CB

If not Pitta

Brandon Pettigrew TE

Michael Johnson DE

Yeah, seen that. Jon Asamoah would be my choice now. I liked him at Illinois and thought we should of drafted him.

It's an impossible dream to think we could fix this whole roster with one draft. As I see it:

Defense

DT: Decent

DE: Questionable (depends on JPP's recovery)

LB: Decent (not nearly the priority it was pre-Beason)

CB: Thin

S: Rich

Offense

OT: Huge question mark on Beatty

OG: #1 Need

C: Need, but we could survive with either Baas or even Cordle

WR: Need to sign or replace Nicks

TE: Need

RB: Huge question mark on Wilson

FB: Solid

QB: No comment

I'd like to see us address OG, TE and CB early (or in FA) and see what's available for OT, C, and RB. I would be cautiously happy if Eli's successor was there for the taking too.

It's an impossible dream to think we could fix this whole roster with one draft. As I see it:

Defense

DT: Decent

DE: Questionable (depends on JPP's recovery)

LB: Decent (not nearly the priority it was pre-Beason)

CB: Thin

S: Rich

Offense

OT: Huge question mark on Beatty

OG: #1 Need

C: Need, but we could survive with either Baas or even Cordle

WR: Need to sign or replace Nicks

TE: Need

RB: Huge question mark on Wilson

FB: Solid

QB: No comment

I'd like to see us address OG, TE and CB early (or in FA) and see what's available for OT, C, and RB. I would be cautiously happy if Eli's successor was there for the taking too.

Sounds about right so long as we resign a few guys.

DT - as long as Linval Joseph is resigned...we're good.

DE - depends also on Tuck resigning

LB - depends on Beason resigning

CB - we're thin, but we don't necessarily need a starter. McBride and Amukamara with Hosely in the slot...given the other areas needed, this doesn't need to be a priority, but shouldn't be ignored either. Perhaps a 2nd round guy?

S - with Brown, Rolle, and Hill...we're good except to maybe restructure Rolle's deal to give us flexibility elsewhere

C/G - both #1 needs as far as I'm concerned. Baas, while not as bad as many think in my opinion, he's often injured. Cordle is a FA if I'm not mistaken. Boothe is a free agent. Snee is done. Diehl is done. Pugh could move inside to cover one if one of the blue chip tackles is available come draft day.

T - With Beatty, given his contract was just given last year, I really think our hands are tied on him. While he might get shifted to the right side with Pugh or a draft pick moving to left, he's playing on the line next year due to his cap hit alone. Cutting him now would create a huge chunk of dead money.

WR - replace Nicks...don't think the resigning thing is going to happen.

TE - replace Myers, perhaps Robinson finally steps up?

RB - huge ? on BOTH Brown AND Wilson

FB - we're good

QB - we're good

Sounds about right so long as we resign a few guys.

DT - as long as Linval Joseph is resigned...we're good.

DE - depends also on Tuck resigning

LB - depends on Beason resigning

CB - we're thin, but we don't necessarily need a starter. McBride and Amukamara with Hosely in the slot...given the other areas needed, this doesn't need to be a priority, but shouldn't be ignored either. Perhaps a 2nd round guy?

S - with Brown, Rolle, and Hill...we're good except to maybe restructure Rolle's deal to give us flexibility elsewhere

C/G - both #1 needs as far as I'm concerned. Baas, while not as bad as many think in my opinion, he's often injured. Cordle is a FA if I'm not mistaken. Boothe is a free agent. Snee is done. Diehl is done. Pugh could move inside to cover one if one of the blue chip tackles is available come draft day.

T - With Beatty, given his contract was just given last year, I really think our hands are tied on him. While he might get shifted to the right side with Pugh or a draft pick moving to left, he's playing on the line next year due to his cap hit alone. Cutting him now would create a huge chunk of dead money.

WR - replace Nicks...don't think the resigning thing is going to happen.

TE - replace Myers, perhaps Robinson finally steps up?

RB - huge ? on BOTH Brown AND Wilson

FB - we're good

QB - we're good

I really like McBride and Hosley is okay in the slot but I'd hate to see him starting if Prince or McBide go down, which they will at some stage. Rolle does a great job as a fill in but we're much better with him at S.

I have no reason to have any faith that Robinson will pan out after two seasons of nothing. He's looking a lot like that other TE project we held onto for too long...H's guy.

We definitely need to resign Boothe, and as you pointed out we could move Beatty, either a straight swap with Pugh or move him to G, depending on who we bring in. I see no reason to move Pugh inside.

I really like McBride and Hosley is okay in the slot but I'd hate to see him starting if Prince or McBide go down, which they will at some stage. Rolle does a great job as a fill in but we're much better with him at S.

I have no reason to have any faith that Robinson will pan out after two seasons of nothing. He's looking a lot like that other TE project we held onto for too long...H's guy.

We definitely need to resign Boothe, and as you pointed out we could move Beatty, either a straight swap with Pugh or move him to G, depending on who we bring in. I see no reason to move Pugh inside.

Agree with everything. Putting Pugh anywhere but on one of the ends would be a complete waste of his talent. His balance and footwork is phenomenal - the perfect ingredient for tackle. He was a lifetime LT, but did a stellar job going to the right side where he had never played. Guards need to be big and strong, the tackles need to have balance, speed, and quick lateral movement. Pugh was a steal last year.

I remember reading that Pugh was almost as much a G prospect as he was a T coming out of the draft. I have no doubts he'd succeed on the inside if that move was made. I only make the point of moving him inside as an option, because of where we're drafting. If we have a shot at one of the better tackles in the draft this year...AND if Beatty returns to form...we then have an abundance of talent on the outside and the same problems on the inside that could be aided by the moving of Pugh. Furthermore, if we draft one of the better tackles in this year's draft, it insures us somewhat should Beatty not perform next season or should Beatty's injury make him unavailable for any of next year.

Moving Beatty inside...I don't see it. He has been criticized for his toughness this year and it's been written that he wins his battles with quick footwork and finesse as opposed to grit, strength, power. A mauler, he is not. And because of that, I think he's much more suited for the outside.

As for Robinson...I did mention that Myers needed replacing...and maybe finally, that's Robinson...but I'm certainly making a backup plan there if I'm the Giants.

I remember reading that Pugh was almost as much a G prospect as he was a T coming out of the draft. I have no doubts he'd succeed on the inside if that move was made. I only make the point of moving him inside as an option, because of where we're drafting. If we have a shot at one of the better tackles in the draft this year...AND if Beatty returns to form...we then have an abundance of talent on the outside and the same problems on the inside that could be aided by the moving of Pugh. Furthermore, if we draft one of the better tackles in this year's draft, it insures us somewhat should Beatty not perform next season or should Beatty's injury make him unavailable for any of next year.

Moving Beatty inside...I don't see it. He has been criticized for his toughness this year and it's been written that he wins his battles with quick footwork and finesse as opposed to grit, strength, power. A mauler, he is not. And because of that, I think he's much more suited for the outside.

As for Robinson...I did mention that Myers needed replacing...and maybe finally, that's Robinson...but I'm certainly making a backup plan there if I'm the Giants.

We did sign Daniel Fells yesterday. Journeyman with 8 career touchdowns. Not saying he's the answer, just that we now have him.

• 2 weeks later...

If this is true, then the Giants may very well select other than an OLineman in the 1st round:

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/01/giant_bummer_offensive_line_help_limited_in_2014_nfl_draft.html

There are a couple of standout lineman that should be available at 12. One of the interesting things about this upcoming draft, is that a record number of 98 underclassman have declared for the draft. All of them are good enough to be drafted into the NFL or they wouldn't be declaring. In a draft that divvies out 7 rounds to 32 teams, that's only 224 players (plus an additional 12-20 for comp picks), so throwing a 100 underclassmen into the pool means more opportunity for teams who have done a superb job of scouting. The fact that the Giants front office picked Pugh (to the dismay and ridicule of Kiper) shows the Giants' scouting crew has to have a pretty good eye for talent on the o-line.

With so many underclassmen declaring, there's a possibility that Mathews, or Robinson fall into our laps. I cannot imagine the Giants passing on either of those two guys if they are there on the board. Center Swanson would be a great pickup in round 2 if he's still there...and past drafts show that centers rarely go before the third round, even the best ones.

I'd be ecstatic with Robinson and Swanson falling into the line with our first and second.

There are a couple of standout lineman that should be available at 12. One of the interesting things about this upcoming draft, is that a record number of 98 underclassman have declared for the draft. All of them are good enough to be drafted into the NFL or they wouldn't be declaring. In a draft that divvies out 7 rounds to 32 teams, that's only 224 players (plus an additional 12-20 for comp picks), so throwing a 100 underclassmen into the pool means more opportunity for teams who have done a superb job of scouting. The fact that the Giants front office picked Pugh (to the dismay and ridicule of Kiper) shows the Giants' scouting crew has to have a pretty good eye for talent on the o-line.

With so many underclassmen declaring, there's a possibility that Mathews, or Robinson fall into our laps. I cannot imagine the Giants passing on either of those two guys if they are there on the board. Center Swanson would be a great pickup in round 2 if he's still there...and past drafts show that centers rarely go before the third round, even the best ones.

I'd be ecstatic with Robinson and Swanson falling into the line with our first and second.

The more I watch on Robinson, the more I think he's overrated.