SportsWrath

Incognito

Treehugger

yeah, Brian Hartline said the same thing.

Is it possible that this story is entirely media driven? ::gasp:: I am shocked!

Maybe Martin has other issues....

Like a lawyer father with an easy payday coming? I dump on my girlfriend all the time calling her names but we're joking. Shit she says she'll murder me once a week and tells my daughter she's going to get cut. This is the issue with sarcastic humour. Out of context it's easy to make it into a damaging statement.

Interesting rebuttal:

Richie Incognito defends voice mail to Jonathan Martin
  • By Gregg Rosenthal
  • Around The League Editor
  • Published: Nov. 10, 2013 at 12:42 p.m.
  • Updated: Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:23 a.m.

In Richie Incognito's first extended comments since being suspended indefinitely by the Miami Dolphins, the guard tried to explain the graphic and racial nature of the voice mail he left for teammate Jonathan Martin.

"I've taken stuff too far. I did not intend to hurt him," Incognito said in an interview with Jay Glazer of Fox Sports that aired Sunday.

0ap2000000277901.jpg

"What I was going for ... I hadn't seen my buddy. I wanted to shock him. I wanted him to call me back. When the words are put out of context, I understand why a lot of eyebrows are raised. What people don't know is how Jon and I communicate to one another.

"A week before this went down, Jonathan Martin texted me, 'I will murder your whole (expletive) family.' Now did I think Jonathan Martin was going to murder my family? Not one bit. I know it was coming from a brother. I knew it was coming from a friend. I knew it was coming from a teammate. That puts in context how we communicate with one another."

The broadcast also showed text messages Martin sent to Incognito after Martin had left the team.

"Wassup man? The world's gone crazy lol I'm good tho congrats on the win," Martin wrote. "Yeah I'm good man. It's insane bro but just know I don't blame you guys at all it's just the culture around football and the locker room got to me a little."

Perhaps the most telling part of Glazer's sit-down interview with Incognito: The guard refused to answer a question about whether the Dolphins' coaching staff instructed him to "toughen up" Martin.

The NFL is investigating allegations of player misconduct by Incognito. Martin's representation submitted materials to the Dolphins, including a voice mail in which Incognito used a racial slur and threatened violence toward Martin. The team first heard the voice mail last Sunday; Incognito was suspended for conduct detrimental to the team shortly thereafter.

"This is an issue of my and John's relationship," Incognito said. "You can ask anybody in the Miami Dolphins locker room, 'Who had John Martin's back the absolute most?' And they will undoubtedly tell you me.

"All of this stuff coming out, just, it speaks to the culture of our locker room, it speaks to the culture of our closeness, it speaks to the culture of our brotherhood. And the racism, the bad words, um, you know, that's what I regret most, but that's a product of the environment, that's something that we use all the time."

Incognito denied being a racist.

"I'm not a racist. To judge me by that one word, is wrong," Incognito said of using the N-word, although he was apologetic and admitted using it was unacceptable. "It's thrown around a lot. It's a word I've heard Jon use a lot."

NFL Media's Albert Breer reported Saturday that Martin likely will meet with Ted Wells, an independent investigator, Thursday or Friday in Los Angeles.

Here's a guy who gets it:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9941696/jonathan-martin-walked-twisted-world-led-incognito

Mass incarceration has turned segments of Black America so upside down that a tatted-up, N-word-tossing white goon is more respected and accepted than a soft-spoken, highly intelligent black Stanford graduate.

According to a story in the Miami Herald, black Dolphins players granted Richie Incognito"honorary" status as a black man while feeling little connection to Jonathan Martin.

Welcome to Incarceration Nation, where the mindset of the Miami Dolphins' locker room mirrors the mentality of a maximum-security prison yard and where a wide swath of America believes the nonviolent intellectual needs to adopt the tactics of the barbarian.

I don't blame Jonathan Martin for walking away from the Dolphins and checking himself into a hospital seeking treatment for emotional distress. The cesspool of insanity that apparently is the Miami locker room would test the mental stability of any sane man. Martin, the offspring of Harvard grads, a 24-year-old trained at some of America's finest academic institutions, is a first-time offender callously thrown into an Attica prison cell with Incognito and Aaron Hernandez's BFF Mike Pouncey. Dolphins warden Jeff Ireland and deputy warden Joe Philbin put zero sophisticated thought into what they were doing when they drafted Martin in the second round in 2012.

You don't put Jonathan Martin in a cell with Incognito and Pouncey. You draft someone else, and let another team take Martin. The Dolphins don't have the kind of environment to support someone with Martin's background. It takes intelligence and common sense to connect with and manage Martin. Those attributes appear to be in short supply in Miami.

"Richie is honorary," a black former Dolphins player told Miami Herald reporter Armando Salguero. "I don't expect you to understand because you're not black. But being a black guy, being a brother is more than just about skin color. It's about how you carry yourself. How you play. Where you come from. What you've experienced. A lot of things."

I'm black. And I totally understand the genesis of this particular brand of stupidity and self-hatred. Mass Incarceration, its bastard child, Hurricane Illegitimacy, and their marketing firm, commercial hip-hop music, have created a culture that perpetrates the idea that authentic blackness is criminal, savage, uneducated and irresponsible. The tenets of white supremacy and bigotry have been injected into popular youth culture. The blackest things a black man can do are loudly spew the N-word publicly and react violently to the slightest sign of disrespect or disagreement.

Yeah, Richie Incognito is an honorary black. And Jonathan Martin is a sellout.

"I don't have a problem with Richie," Dolphins receiver Mike Wallace was quoted in Salguero's story. "I love Richie."

Yeah, the Dolphins are circling the wagons around Incognito. I get Ryan Tannehill's defense of his Pro Bowl left guard. He needs him. He doesn't believe the Dolphins can protect him or win games without Incognito. There's a popular belief you can't consistently win football games without a few "thugs" like Incognito in your locker room. Makes you wonder how Stanford competes with USC, Oregon, UCLA, etc., every year. You wonder how Nebraska and Oregon survived after booting Incognito. You wonder why three NFL teams let him go. Maybe he's not as essential as the myth-makers would have you believe.

But what makes me want to check into a mental hospital is Miami's black players' unconditional love of Incognito and indifference to Martin.

It points to our fundamental lack of knowledge of our own history in this country. We think the fake tough guy, the ex-con turned rhetoric spewer was more courageous than the educated pacifist who won our liberation standing in the streets, absorbing repeated ass-whippings, jail and a white assassin's bullet. We fell for the okeydoke.

We think Malcolm X was blacker than Martin Luther King Jr.

I'm as guilty as anybody. I've read X's autobiography a half-dozen times. I own Spike Lee's movie about X and watch it a couple of times a year. I love Malcolm X. But I'm not an idiot. MLK liberated me. MLK blazed the proper path to respect, progress and achievement. Barack Obama stands on MLK's shoulders. And so does Jonathan Martin.

Richie Incognito is an "honorary" bigot, standing on the shoulders of Gov. George Wallace. The fact that a group of young black men in the Dolphins' locker room can't see that speaks to the level of ignorance unleashed by Mass Incarceration, Hurricane Illegitimacy and commercial hip-hop.

Too many young people have grown up. There's a difference between growing up and being raised. When you grow up, you're left to figure things out on your own. That's why we have a generation of young people who can't recognize the self-hatred and damage of describing yourself as the N-word. They don't know what they haven't been taught. Video games, iPads and headphones can't raise a child. But those technological advances can entertain and empower popular culture to corrupt.

The Dolphins tagged him the "Big Weirdo." The Dolphins held up Richie Incognito as the ultimate role model for offensive linemen. Incognito was a Pro Bowler. He was a member of the six-man leadership council. It makes perfect sense for a kid like Martin to befriend Incognito and try to fit in. I'm sure they were best friends, for a time. I'm sure Incognito offered Martin physical protection on the football field. It's standard operating procedure for a prison-yard bully to cultivate a relationship that is equal parts fear, love and disrespect. It's how you turn a guy out and make him grab your belt loop.I don't know Jonathan Martin. He's biracial. He was apparently smart enough to qualify for entry into Harvard. He's huge and athletic. He strikes me as someone ripe to struggle with his identity.

Martin was confused. He probably thought the bullying and hazing would pass after his rookie season. He wanted to fit in and make it in the NFL. The paycheck is incredible. He tried to laugh off the abuse and disrespect. He participated in it. He coughed up $15,000 for a trip to Las Vegas he didn't want to take.

Finally he snapped. He wasn't raised to be a full-blown idiot. He was raised to think and solve problems with his mind. He was savvy enough to figure out a physical confrontation with Incognito was a no-win situation. It wouldn't curb Incognito's behavior or change the culture inside the Miami locker room. It would confirm it. In order to win the fight, Martin would have to physically harm Incognito. It would not be a one-punch or two-punch fight.

Martin walked. If the entry fee to being an NFL offensive lineman is adopting the mindset of Incognito and Pouncey, Martin wisely chose not to pay it. He has a developed brain and a supportive family unit. He's not desperate. He has options. People with limited options and no family support may not understand or respect his decision. That's on them and illustrates the vast impact of Mass Incarceration and Hurricane Illegitimacy.

It's now time for Roger Goodell to render a verdict on wardens Ireland and Philbin and Cell Block D leader Incognito. The world is so upside down that I half expect Goodell to suspend Martin for conduct detrimental to American idiocy.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9941696/jonathan-martin-walked-twisted-world-led-incognito

Mass incarceration has turned segments of Black America so upside down that a tatted-up, N-word-tossing white goon is more respected and accepted than a soft-spoken, highly intelligent black Stanford graduate.

According to a story in the Miami Herald, black Dolphins players granted Richie Incognito"honorary" status as a black man while feeling little connection to Jonathan Martin.

Welcome to Incarceration Nation, where the mindset of the Miami Dolphins' locker room mirrors the mentality of a maximum-security prison yard and where a wide swath of America believes the nonviolent intellectual needs to adopt the tactics of the barbarian.

I don't blame Jonathan Martin for walking away from the Dolphins and checking himself into a hospital seeking treatment for emotional distress. The cesspool of insanity that apparently is the Miami locker room would test the mental stability of any sane man. Martin, the offspring of Harvard grads, a 24-year-old trained at some of America's finest academic institutions, is a first-time offender callously thrown into an Attica prison cell with Incognito and Aaron Hernandez's BFF Mike Pouncey. Dolphins warden Jeff Ireland and deputy warden Joe Philbin put zero sophisticated thought into what they were doing when they drafted Martin in the second round in 2012.

You don't put Jonathan Martin in a cell with Incognito and Pouncey. You draft someone else, and let another team take Martin. The Dolphins don't have the kind of environment to support someone with Martin's background. It takes intelligence and common sense to connect with and manage Martin. Those attributes appear to be in short supply in Miami.

"Richie is honorary," a black former Dolphins player told Miami Herald reporter Armando Salguero. "I don't expect you to understand because you're not black. But being a black guy, being a brother is more than just about skin color. It's about how you carry yourself. How you play. Where you come from. What you've experienced. A lot of things."

I'm black. And I totally understand the genesis of this particular brand of stupidity and self-hatred. Mass Incarceration, its bastard child, Hurricane Illegitimacy, and their marketing firm, commercial hip-hop music, have created a culture that perpetrates the idea that authentic blackness is criminal, savage, uneducated and irresponsible. The tenets of white supremacy and bigotry have been injected into popular youth culture. The blackest things a black man can do are loudly spew the N-word publicly and react violently to the slightest sign of disrespect or disagreement.

"I don't have a problem with Richie," Dolphins receiver Mike Wallace was quoted in Salguero's story. "I love Richie."

Yeah, the Dolphins are circling the wagons around Incognito. I get Ryan Tannehill's defense of his Pro Bowl left guard. He needs him. He doesn't believe the Dolphins can protect him or win games without Incognito. There's a popular belief you can't consistently win football games without a few "thugs" like Incognito in your locker room. Makes you wonder how Stanford competes with USC, Oregon, UCLA, etc., every year. You wonder how Nebraska and Oregon survived after booting Incognito. You wonder why three NFL teams let him go. Maybe he's not as essential as the myth-makers would have you believe.

But what makes me want to check into a mental hospital is Miami's black players' unconditional love of Incognito and indifference to Martin.

It points to our fundamental lack of knowledge of our own history in this country. We think the fake tough guy, the ex-con turned rhetoric spewer was more courageous than the educated pacifist who won our liberation standing in the streets, absorbing repeated ass-whippings, jail and a white assassin's bullet. We fell for the okeydoke.

I'm as guilty as anybody. I've read X's autobiography a half-dozen times. I own Spike Lee's movie about X and watch it a couple of times a year. I love Malcolm X. But I'm not an idiot. MLK liberated me. MLK blazed the proper path to respect, progress and achievement. Barack Obama stands on MLK's shoulders. And so does Jonathan Martin.

Richie Incognito is an "honorary" bigot, standing on the shoulders of Gov. George Wallace. The fact that a group of young black men in the Dolphins' locker room can't see that speaks to the level of ignorance unleashed by Mass Incarceration, Hurricane Illegitimacy and commercial hip-hop.

Too many young people have grown up. There's a difference between growing up and being raised. When you grow up, you're left to figure things out on your own. That's why we have a generation of young people who can't recognize the self-hatred and damage of describing yourself as the N-word. They don't know what they haven't been taught. Video games, iPads and headphones can't raise a child. But those technological advances can entertain and empower popular culture to corrupt.

The Dolphins tagged him the "Big Weirdo." The Dolphins held up Richie Incognito as the ultimate role model for offensive linemen. Incognito was a Pro Bowler. He was a member of the six-man leadership council. It makes perfect sense for a kid like Martin to befriend Incognito and try to fit in. I'm sure they were best friends, for a time. I'm sure Incognito offered Martin physical protection on the football field. It's standard operating procedure for a prison-yard bully to cultivate a relationship that is equal parts fear, love and disrespect. It's how you turn a guy out and make him grab your belt loop.I don't know Jonathan Martin. He's biracial. He was apparently smart enough to qualify for entry into Harvard. He's huge and athletic. He strikes me as someone ripe to struggle with his identity.

Martin was confused. He probably thought the bullying and hazing would pass after his rookie season. He wanted to fit in and make it in the NFL. The paycheck is incredible. He tried to laugh off the abuse and disrespect. He participated in it. He coughed up $15,000 for a trip to Las Vegas he didn't want to take.

Finally he snapped. He wasn't raised to be a full-blown idiot. He was raised to think and solve problems with his mind. He was savvy enough to figure out a physical confrontation with Incognito was a no-win situation. It wouldn't curb Incognito's behavior or change the culture inside the Miami locker room. It would confirm it. In order to win the fight, Martin would have to physically harm Incognito. It would not be a one-punch or two-punch fight.

Martin walked. If the entry fee to being an NFL offensive lineman is adopting the mindset of Incognito and Pouncey, Martin wisely chose not to pay it. He has a developed brain and a supportive family unit. He's not desperate. He has options. People with limited options and no family support may not understand or respect his decision. That's on them and illustrates the vast impact of Mass Incarceration and Hurricane Illegitimacy.

It's now time for Roger Goodell to render a verdict on wardens Ireland and Philbin and Cell Block D leader Incognito. The world is so upside down that I half expect Goodell to suspend Martin for conduct detrimental to American idiocy.

wow, Whitlock took that somewhere I wasn't expecting. Harsh, but probably true.

Great article ...and point on... a recent chick I dated she was half Black half Asian Indian had the nerve to call me a White Negro... because I am learned and articulate. Better believe there was some grudge fucking punishment I doled out later..."take this White Negro cock as deep as you can take it bitch..."...uh I'm back now... anyway I remember another Black women derisively refer to me as a "Black Intellectual" to which I responded... THANKS... I AM... :) When Gangsta Rap became the norm is when lower class and ignorant values became the example to follow. Thankfully most of the Black Middle and Upper Class don't follow this self destructive doctrine.

Great article ...and point on... a recent chick I dated she was half Black half Asian Indian had the nerve to call me a White Negro... because I am learned and articulate. Better believe there was some grudge fucking punishment I doled out later..."take this White Negro cock as deep as you can take it bitch..."...uh I'm back now... anyway I remember another Black women derisively refer to me as a "Black Intellectual" to which I responded... THANKS... I AM... :) When Gangsta Rap became the norm is when lower class and ignorant values became the example to follow. Thankfully most of the Black Middle and Upper Class don't follow this self destructive doctrine.

yeah, when I was a kid I got a good grade one time, and a friend who was black said to me, 'man, why you have to be so white all the time.' I didn't know what to say, but I think I gave him such a 'WTF' look that he kind of walked it back. He said, 'oh, I guess that was kind of racist of me' - 'yeah man, it was.... but not towards me, towards yourself.'

Blew my mind... we were in like 6th grade I guess, so young for him to feel that way.

Unfortunately Defiler, I would like to say that the black middle/upper class don't embrace it, but the kids can get sucked in.... blew my mind when we came to find out that the rash of break ins in a neighborhood I used to live in was not from the welfare block a short walk away... it wasn't the poor kids, it was a bunch of upper class african american kids two blocks the other direction, who all lived in nicer houses than I did. Just kids, playing at being something they're not and should never want to be. I just hope they grew out of it.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

yeah, when I was a kid I got a good grade one time, and a friend who was black said to me, 'man, why you have to be so white all the time.' I didn't know what to say, but I think I gave him such a 'WTF' look that he kind of walked it back. He said, 'oh, I guess that was kind of racist of me' - 'yeah man, it was.... but not towards me, towards yourself.'

Blew my mind... we were in like 6th grade I guess, so young for him to feel that way.

Unfortunately Defiler, I would like to say that the black middle/upper class don't embrace it, but the kids can get sucked in.... blew my mind when we came to find out that the rash of break ins in a neighborhood I used to live in was not from the welfare block a short walk away... it wasn't the poor kids, it was a bunch of upper class african american kids two blocks the other direction, who all lived in nicer houses than I did. Just kids, playing at being something they're not and should never want to be. I just hope they grew out of it.

As recently as 2002 a friend I grew up with me rebuked me for dressing "white".. as in.. not baggy. I simply told him that he will catch on when Puff Daddy gives him the green light to dress like me... mind you the fuckhead was wearing baggy leather pants lol