SportsWrath

Andy Ried

Virginia Giant

I am of the opinion that from a coaching perspective, two things must happen to be hall of fame material.

1. You win a championship...at least one, if not two.

2. You leave a legacy...this can happen in one of two ways. Your 'coaching tree'...the assistants you've brought in, how have they advanced? Did they simply get canned or have they advanced to head coaching roles of their own? The second means of leaving a legacy is having some sort of offensive or defensive innovation...west coast offense, run and shoot, 3-4 defense, etc. Even the 3-safety defense we've employed, if we had more success with it as a team, could have been one of those innovations.

But yeah, championships and legacy get you the hall of fame in my book. Andy doesn't meet the grade.

I am of the opinion that from a coaching perspective, two things must happen to be hall of fame material.

1. You win a championship...at least one, if not two.

2. You leave a legacy...this can happen in one of two ways. Your 'coaching tree'...the assistants you've brought in, how have they advanced? Did they simply get canned or have they advanced to head coaching roles of their own? The second means of leaving a legacy is having some sort of offensive or defensive innovation...west coast offense, run and shoot, 3-4 defense, etc. Even the 3-safety defense we've employed, if we had more success with it as a team, could have been one of those innovations.

But yeah, championships and legacy get you the hall of fame in my book. Andy doesn't meet the grade.

Yeah, but Belichick doesn't meet the second... his coaching tree sucks.

Of course, six Super Bowl rings does have the habit of getting you in, and the guy can scheme out of just about any situation. You could put a high school team out there on D and Belichick will figure out a way to hold the offense to 21 points. .

If he makes the Chiefs and annual threat like the Eagles but never wins a super bowl, is he a Hall of Famer? I havn't looked up the stats in detail but he does have a better Winning percentage than Parcells.

No, it makes him Ron Washington.

( low blow, I was rooting for them last night)

Yeah, but Belichick doesn't meet the second... his coaching tree sucks.

Of course, six Super Bowl rings does have the habit of getting you in, and the guy can scheme out of just about any situation. You could put a high school team out there on D and Belichick will figure out a way to hold the offense to 21 points. .

Coaching the latest form of a dynasty and the Patriot's plug & play mentality might qualify him as having a legacy. The ability to focus a gameplan around the players you have moreso than fitting players into a pre-existing gameplan (or obtaining players to fit your pre-existing gameplan) is somewhat, though admittedly not totally, unique. It's a stretch to fit my definition, I know, but you raise a good point with Belicheck.

No, it makes him Ron Washington.

( low blow, I was rooting for them last night)

I'm honestly happy they simply overcame another shitty September just to put themselves in that position over the last week or two. Showed some marbles.

Washington has made some serious flubs this year, but he also had guys who should be in AAA starting games for a significant part of the year.

He's done a great job with this team, I don't necessarily support firing him, but I would understand it. I would give him another year, try to resign Garza and give him the rotation he was supposed to have this year. Resign Cruz and scour the market for some bats.

His greatest flaw though seems to be developing non pitchers. Elvis, Martin (both good players but not living up to the hype yet) Moreland, Olt. I'm really worried about Profar.

I'm honestly happy they simply overcame another shitty September just to put themselves in that position over the last week or two. Showed some marbles.

Washington has made some serious flubs this year, but he also had guys who should be in AAA starting games for a significant part of the year.

He's done a great job with this team, I don't necessarily support firing him, but I would understand it. I would give him another year, try to resign Garza and give him the rotation he was supposed to have this year. Resign Cruz and scour the market for some bats.

His greatest flaw though seems to be developing non pitchers. Elvis, Martin (both good players but not living up to the hype yet) Moreland, Olt. I'm really worried about Profar.

I thought after they caught that break on the trap, maybe the gods were smiling on them, but Price is a tough sob.

Reid went into KC, assessed the talent and applied a scheme that played to the team's strengths. Coughlin, Gilly and Fewell should take notes.

Reid was also smart enough to pick an underachieving team with talent. Both the Harbaugh did the same thing.

Reid was also smart enough to pick an underachieving team with talent. Both the Harbaugh did the same thing.

LOL, seems like you don't like to give much credit to coaches. Kansas City has had years of terrible teams.

LOL, seems like you don't like to give much credit to coaches. Kansas City has had years of terrible teams.

My statement is giving credit to good coaches. The losing ways on those teams shows the difference between a good coach and a mediocre coach. KC had talent and should not have had such a terrible season. Then again having no QB is difficult to win with any coach. Cassell and Quinn as the starting QB is a cluster fuck.

I think he would be.

On the flip side, if we do jettison Coughlin this year, I could see it being a very similar situation to the Eagles and Andy Reid... the sort of "you don't know what you've got till it's gone."

Totally.

As shitty as this season is, my biggest worry is that Reese runs Coughlin off the team and then ruins the last 5 years of Eli's career with his horrible offensive line.

Totally.

As shitty as this season is, my biggest worry is that Reese runs Coughlin off the team and then ruins the last 5 years of Eli's career with his horrible offensive line.

I'm with you on this one Joe. That is a very real possibility. And that would be a shame. I'm a football fan first and an Eagle fan second.

• 3 weeks later...

Andy is a great Coach.....not such a good GM

He inherited a lot of talent at KC and molded it.

Unfortunately he was his own GM and that will cost him his HOF credentials unless he has a run here of a couple of SB wins with KC

Who was that HC who won the Trophy? I can see his face but cannot recall his name......that was a great team that year

Hank Fnnn STRAM

We DO NOT have a terrible offensive line

We have had no Running Backs this year

Our Olines have won 2 Lombardies in 5 years

Now that that Cipher Baas is gone we are doing fine

not sure why you're talking about the Giants here, but 'our' O-line is different at 3 positions than it was in Super Bowl XLVI

He was also smart enough to just coach and not try to run the whole team. I've always respected AR. Still do, but he just took on too much.

Agree 100%.....coaches should stick to coaching.....let the gm play bad cop