SportsWrath

Could Pugh grade out as the best OL in the draft?

Treehugger

He's not struggling the way the #1 and #2 overall picks are.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000247529/article/eric-fisher-struggling-out-of-gate-for-kansas-city-chiefs

Eric Fisher struggling out of gate for Kansas City Chiefs
  • By Gregg Rosenthal
  • Around The League Editor
  • Published: Sept. 20, 2013 at 10:25 a.m.
  • Updated: Sept. 21, 2013 at 09:05 a.m.

The No. 1 overall pick in the 2013 NFL Draft has struggled badly in plain sight. And no one has taken notice.

There are a lot of terrific, surprising stories surrounding the 3-0 start by the Kansas City Chiefs. Eric Fisher's play has provided one early reason for concern.

Fisher, playing right tackle, was called for holding twice during the Chiefs' 26-16 win over the Philadelphia Eagles on "Thursday Night Football." He appeared to give up at least two sacks. Pro Football Focus had him down for five total pressures, including a few plays where Eagles defensive lineman Fletcher Cox almost instantly beat him off the line of scrimmage. We noticed the Chiefs sliding their protection toward Fisher's side to help.

Mitigating factors help explain Fisher's struggles. He's playing a new position, after lining up at left tackle in college. Central Michigan to the NFL has been a big step. And, well, he's a rookie.

The Chiefs still have to be concerned. Fisher's struggles date to training camp and the preseason, when he uniformly received shaky reviews from onlookers in practice and games. PFF's ratings system is hardly perfect, but it can be an effective tool to evaluate play. Fisher ranked 144 out of 157 offensive tackles in PFF's preseason rankings, and he's 66th out of 68 in the regular season.

It's not just that Fisher has experienced some rookie struggles. He's struggled to compete at the pro level. If he was taken later in the draft, he would have been benched by now.

High picks at offensive lineman are supposed to be safer than other positions, but Fisher and the No. 2 overall pick, Jacksonville Jaguars tackle Luke Joeckel, have gotten off to rough starts. (Joeckel's struggles have been less dramatic.) The two picks faced off in Week 1, and no one seemed to notice.

It's a story that hasn't gotten a lot of traction in Kansas City, where the focus has been on the position. A simple Google news search reveals Fisher barely has been written about since the season started.

That's a rare luxury for a No. 1 overall pick to have. His position, team and the Chiefs' success has shielded him from the spotlight. Perhaps he'll take advantage and improve slowly as the season wears on. Perhaps the Chiefs will bench him.

If not, the Chiefs' biggest offseason addition might turn into a serious liability for a team with playoff aspirations.

Pugh has done a yeoman's job at RT. He could easily become the cherry of the tackles taken in the first round. I get a kick out of all the naysayers that claimed his arms were too short as if having freaky long arms makes for a good tackle.

Time will tell. I'm betting Pugh will be the leader of the line within 3 or 4 years.

Pugh has done a yeoman's job at RT. He could easily become the cherry of the tackles taken in the first round. I get a kick out of all the naysayers that claimed his arms were too short as if having freaky long arms makes for a good tackle.

Time will tell. I'm betting Pugh will be the leader of the line within 3 or 4 years.

We need 2 Guards and a Center in his mold lol

It's so weird watching him. I referred to him as a "gravity well" I believe in one of my articles. Those short arms just seem to latch on and guys get sucked in there and can't get out. He's a technician, and his feet are phenomenal. Just watch his lateral movement. A thing of beauty. I was ready to throw the remote because I wanted Datone Jones so badly, but Pugh is the real deal. Great pick.

He has been doing pretty good. Would like to see a few more running plays to the right. When McKenzie was here we did very well running to our right and I've noticed people have been really down on Chris Snee the past season while he was playing hurt and two games into the regular season the offensive line hasn't established itself. Lets get the running game going on the right side and see if we really do have a very good RT in Pugh.

I know this isn't a popular view right now, but this draft still has the potential to be one of the better ones of Reese's tenure, QB or not. Every one of those picks are on the team in one capacity or another, with only Cooper Taylor being a player that didn't stick out of merit (and he must have shown something, because he was only a 5th, after all).

It won't have the 2007 immediate impact, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Hankins, Moore, and Cox seeing more playing time by the end of the year.

The Browns are better then us. Cleveland has the most salary cap room, Giants have the least

Yeah....I can see the Giants letting Nicks go to save money, as well as Rolle....and damn it, I'd make Eli cut his salary in half...and I'm not sure he's worth that the way he's played this year.

We need cap room, a couple of stellar players via free agency, and a hell of a draft next year (good news, we'll probably get the no. 1 overall draft pick).

And....Fire Fewell and Fire Gilly!!!!!!!

Yeah....I can see the Giants letting Nicks go to save money, as well as Rolle....and damn it, I'd make Eli cut his salary in half...and I'm not sure he's worth that the way he's played this year.

We need cap room, a couple of stellar players via free agency, and a hell of a draft next year (good news, we'll probably get the no. 1 overall draft pick).

And....Fire Fewell and Fire Gilly!!!!!!!

Fuck I've been screaming that for years now.

Yea that could change in a heartbeat. We have a lot of dead weight we can unload.

I'm with you, bro. Time to get rid of Tuck, Webster, Diehl, and some of the other old/oft-injured players we have. If we can let Bradshaw/Manningham/Smith/Boley go, then nobody should be saf other than Manning/Cruz/JPP and possibly Nicks. Pugh was horrible yesterday. 3 or 4 sacks came from him. High School kids right now can get sacks against us. It's truly sad and atrocious

I'm with you, bro. Time to get rid of Tuck, Webster, Diehl, and some of the other old/oft-injured players we have. If we can let Bradshaw/Manningham/Smith/Boley go, then nobody should be saf other than Manning/Cruz/JPP and possibly Nicks. Pugh was horrible yesterday. 3 or 4 sacks came from him. High School kids right now can get sacks against us. It's truly sad and atrocious

At this point, besides Eli, all of Ernie's guys should be retired shortly.

Tuck, Webster, Diehl......it's like having a car with 100,000 miles on it, and the gas mileage is starting to slip.

Actually, there were 3 sacks allowed by Beatty. 3 sacks came right up through the middle blowing our guards and center on their backs, and there was only one time that Pugh got beat for a sack. Beatty really, really stunk up the joint yesterday. Even when they didn't get around him in time for a sack, Eli got hit a half dozen times from the guy Beatty was working on.

Beatty admits that he had a really awful game and has even apologized for such a poor performance.

Regardless, Pugh has done alright for a rookie that is green as grass. Saying there was 3 or 4 sacks because of him is total bullshit.

Pugh isn't the problem and to be honest Beatty had a bad game. Baas and Snee and having terrible seasons so far, plus they are getting no help from a tight end who doesn't block or running backs who won't chip block. And to top it all, Eli is holding the ball too long.

I'd even look at Eli's contract... it's killing the team cap-wise. At this point this shouldn't be about making the most money... How much is Brady making?

This...

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/8988720/tom-brady-new-england-patriots-agree-3-year-27-million-extension-according-source

Tom Brady has agreed to a three-year, $27 million contract extension with the Patriots, a deal that will keep him with New England through the 2017 season, a league source confirmed to ESPNBoston.com's Mike Reiss.

The extension includes a $3 million signing bonus along with annual salaries of $7 million in 2015, $8 million in 2016 and $9 million in 2017, when Brady will turn 40, according to the source.

Brady's relatively modest deal frees up $15 million worth of salary-cap space for the Patriots in the 2013 and 2014 seasons, a league source told ESPN.

Though other quarterbacks recently have signed deals nearly twice as lucrative, Brady has made it clear he wants to play until he's 40 and finish his career with the Patriots, whom he led to Super Bowl wins for the 2001, 2003 and 2004 seasons, and losses in the big game after the 2007 and 2011 seasons. Monday's extension should help New England maintain a competitive team around the two-time NFL MVP.

The Patriots gained $8 million in salary-cap space this year and $7 million in cap room next season. Brady's cap numbers, which were scheduled to be $21.8 million in each of the next two offseasons, now will be $14.8 million this season and $13.8 million next season.