SportsWrath

Money's 2006 New York Giants Offseason Plan -- 02/20/06

Money

Here's a free agent name to toss out there, especially with the likely loss of Greisen, Rocky Calmus of Indianapolis. They likely won't have the money to resign him. He was a relatively highly regarded prospect but has struggled to remain healthy. He likely wouldn't carry a high price tag but has a nice upside and he's young.

Calmus is a good idea. Another guy is Rocky Boiman. Sign those two and draft Rocky McIntosh, and I think Sly Stallone might come to all of our home games...

Another LB I like in addition to the Rocky's ... Ben Taylor of Cleveland. Very similar to Greisen (even has the whiteness thing going for him) in that he play any LB position in a 4-3. Cleveland reportedly will let him walk.

Either Lewis already played his last year as a Raven or he'll retire as one. But I don't think you'll see him leave Baltimore after the '06 season. IIRC his cap charge actually goes down, although not significantly, after this season. The Ravens won't cut him for cap reasons. The only way he leaves town is if he pulls a T.O. and tries to disrupt his way out the door, which wouldn't surprise me.

Thing is, the Ravens are absolutely correct not to restructure the guy. He signed a fat deal a few years ago that gave him a lot of guaranteed money up front, I believe it was something like a 12 million dollar signing bonus, which at the time was a huge chunk of change. Even at his current contract he's second only to Derrick Brooks in salary. basically the guy has nothing to bitch about. However, he sees the writing on the wall. His current contract has him locked up to finish his career as a Raven and doesn't have another fat payday (translation: signing bonus) remaining. Thus Ray-Ray is suddenly unhappy and wants out of town so he can cash in again with someone else. Ozzie is too smart to fall for this crap. Only way Lewis leaves prior to this season is through a trade. Even if he goes the whiney tool route, I see the Ravens, similar to the Eagles, digging in. Lewis doesn't have a leg to stand on. He's being paid good money this season. And the Ravens organization stood by the guy throughout his off field transgressions. He should be kissing their ass, not begging his way out of town.

Either Lewis already played his last year as a Raven or he'll retire as one. But I don't think you'll see him leave Baltimore after the '06 season. IIRC his cap charge actually goes down, although not significantly, after this season. The Ravens won't cut him for cap reasons. The only way he leaves town is if he pulls a T.O. and tries to disrupt his way out the door, which wouldn't surprise me.

Thing is, the Ravens are absolutely correct not to restructure the guy. He signed a fat deal a few years ago that gave him a lot of guaranteed money up front, I believe it was something like a 12 million dollar signing bonus, which at the time was a huge chunk of change. Even at his current contract he's second only to Derrick Brooks in salary. basically the guy has nothing to bitch about. However, he sees the writing on the wall. His current contract has him locked up to finish his career as a Raven and doesn't have another fat payday (translation: signing bonus) remaining. Thus Ray-Ray is suddenly unhappy and wants out of town so he can cash in again with someone else. Ozzie is too smart to fall for this crap. Only way Lewis leaves prior to this season is through a trade. Even if he goes the whiney tool route, I see the Ravens, similar to the Eagles, digging in. Lewis doesn't have a leg to stand on. He's being paid good money this season. And the Ravens organization stood by the guy throughout his off field transgressions. He should be kissing their ass, not begging his way out of town.

Lewis's status makes it more likely the re-sign Scott. Plus, Tommy Plloey is a UFA as well.

Polley actually played some good ball filling in for Lewis. After seeing him disappoint in St. Louis I didn't think it was possible.

Polley actually started for them at WLB. Scott replaced Lewis when he went on IR.

Polley actually started for them at WLB. Scott replaced Lewis when he went on IR.

I could be wrong about this as I never watched the Ravens during this stretch but I could swear that I read they were using Scott and Polley interchangeably inside and outside. I didn't think one was dedicated to just one slot. Although I agree Polley on the outside is a far better use of his skill set.

I could be wrong about this as I never watched the Ravens during this stretch but I could swear that I read they were using Scott and Polley interchangeably inside and outside. I didn't think one was dedicated to just one slot. Although I agree Polley on the outside is a far better use of his skill set.

If that was the case, that makes Scott an even more appealling option. Versatility, athleticism, youth, and special teams ability. Only problem is another team (possibly the Ravens) may view him as a starting material and pay him accordingly.

Actually I could see the Ravens letting him walk. They drafted a kid named Roderick Green two years ago. Incredible athlete with a good all around game. However he's got a two cent melon (He got like a 4 on the wunderlic). He's got the same measurables as Scott and could move into his position (although his pass rush skills would ideally put him on the outside). He's also cheap (was a 5th round draft choice in the '04 draft). His emergence might make Polley more expendable as Green probably would perform better on the outside, but either way, I see one of those linebackers leaving Baltimore.

Well Money, not rubbing it in, but you're 0 for 2 so far. :(

1 for 3.

I was all over Alexander retiring/getting waived. :worshippy:

Although, like I said, this wasn't a projection ... its my own personalized plan, which some sense of reality twisted in.

1 for 3.

I was all over Alexander retiring/getting waived. :worshippy:

Although, like I said, this wasn't a projection ... its my own personalized plan, which some sense of reality twisted in.

I know, I don't get the Whittle waiver. The guy is flexible position wise, something this organization shouldn't be forgetting.

I know, I don't get the Whittle waiver. The guy is flexible position wise, something this organization shouldn't be forgetting.

I hope their decision to cut Whittle was motivated by confidence in Seubert's ability to play guard and center, thus making Whittle and his slightly inflated salary expendable. Otherwise, I don't see the logic behind this move.

I hope their decision to cut Whittle was motivated by confidence in Seubert's ability to play guard and center, thus making Whittle and his slightly inflated salary expendable. Otherwise, I don't see the logic behind this move.

Good news is that he has no bonus so all the salary goes right to cap savings right?

Good news is that he has no bonus so all the salary goes right to cap savings right?

Right.

Im not surprised with this or Green being released, actually I think it was this thread we talked about Whittle being most likely a goner. It was another forum were I stated I thought Green was going to be cut as well.

Im not sure if anyone has seen this yet, so i'll just post it here.

From KFFL.com

Giants | Alexander not quite retired

Sun, 26 Feb 2006 06:10:26 -0800

Mike Garafolo, of the Star-Ledger, reports New York Giants S Brent Alexander has not quite retired yet. His agent, Jim Solano, said there was a miscommunication between Alexander and the team. Regardless of whether Alexander retires or not, his days as a Giant are over. The team will give him the rest of the weekend to retire. If he doesn't, he will be released, general manager Ernie Accorsi said.

As well as

Giants | Williams may be restructured or released

Sun, 26 Feb 2006 06:10:48 -0800

Arthur Staple, of Newsday, reports New York Giants S Shaun Williams due to make $3 million next season, is likely to be cut or have his contract re-worked after missing most of the last two seasons.

A hot rumor that was circulating last year at the kickoff luncheon(you really gotta go one year) was that Snee is best suited to play Center someday. I like Snee at G and have no problem with O'Hara, but that was

something that was tossed around that day by people in attendance. I at the time dismissed it as people just looking too much into things, maybe someone had some forsight?

I'd take Williams back at the vet minimum, despite his injury problems. Can still be a good back-up.

I agree, too. I've always been a supporter of Williams though, so obvoiusly Im a bit bias. Although I have my doubts that he will restructure.

Whittle's cut goes towards what I was mentioning in my original critique of your plan. The Giants likely have the fallback option of Whitfield but hopefully there is an intention to add a Left Tackle prospect on draft day. I'm sorry to see Whittle go as I like his depth and versatility but given my choice of keeping Whittle and not drafting a prospect or cutting Whittle I'm happy with the direction we went.

I think one aspect that's being forgotten in the wake of the Green cut is Emmons can play both strong and weak side. Torbor has been slotted on the strong side but I wouldn't be surprised to see him at weak either. He's got better playmaking skills and speed than Emmons. It's just a case of how quickly he could learn the position. At this point the curve shouldn't be too steep.

Whittle's cut goes towards what I was mentioning in my original critique of your plan. The Giants likely have the fallback option of Whitfield but hopefully there is an intention to add a Left Tackle prospect on draft day. I'm sorry to see Whittle go as I like his depth and versatility but given my choice of keeping Whittle and not drafting a prospect or cutting Whittle I'm happy with the direction we went.

I think one aspect that's being forgotten in the wake of the Green cut is Emmons can play both strong and weak side. Torbor has been slotted on the strong side but I wouldn't be surprised to see him at weak either. He's got better playmaking skills and speed than Emmons. It's just a case of how quickly he could learn the position. At this point the curve shouldn't be too steep.

Is it worth adding a LT prospect at the expense of having no back-up OC? If they think Seubert can handle that role, then fine.

While Emmons and possibly Torbor can play the weakside, both are far from ideal at that spot. I'd rather have a more natural WLB ... someone who is better in coverage and can run with RBs.