SportsWrath

Money's 2006 New York Giants Offseason Plan -- 02/20/06

Money

I wholeheartedly agree that adding playmakers on defense is needed and will make us a championship caliber team. However we currently have 1 starting grade Left Tackle on the roster. I'm sorry but I can't count Whitfield as anything more than a fill-in. I don't see Diehl or McKenzie ever playing the left side. If the guy we want on defense is there in the first round then go with him, but I think an eventual starting left tackle prospect needs to be taken on day 1.

I think I just have more confidence in Whitfield than you at this point. To me, he's certainly more than adequate as a backup. I think if we draft an OT this year, then we might not have room for Whitfield, and that can be a debatable proposition. I don't think cutting Petitgout is going to happen this year, and I don't think the team would carry more than 4 OT's on the team(if we're including Deihl). Whitfield struggled at times coming in for Petitgout, but other times, he nuetralized some of the younger DE's in the league like Jarrod Allen and Trent Cole.

New England went that route last year, and when they lost Matt Light for most of the season, they certainly suffered a blow starting a rookie at left tackle. Although they could be better off because of it this year, it's a tough situation to be in, especially with Luke Petitgout.

Bottom line for me, either way we go, I'd be fine with. It's a tough decision, and I'm glad I'm not the one who has to make it.

Well written post

Couple of thoughts:

Greisen and Allen will want big money, but I honestly think it's not going to be out there for them. Greisen may want starter money but in all honesty what team is going to pay him the money he wants considering he's never been a full time starter, he's had several injuries and I think the biggest red flag here was the number of stingers he got last will concern some teams. He's not particularly fast or great in coverage. I honestly think before all is said and done, he'll be a Giant next season.

Can't say the same for Allen, if the Giants can put the franchise tag on him I say do it. In fact it might be doing him a favor, because if Clements doesn't get franchised and Ronde does get released which from I heard is possible, then his value will go down because no matter how " better" he played this year, Allen is clearly an average corner at best. It's going to get worse for him if the Jets release Ty Law which is supposed to happen.

The Giants should be begging Feagles to come back one more year, simple as that. If you ever needed a lesson in how valuable he is, watch Tom Rouen's display in the superbowl. There's ahuge difference starting from the 10 and the 20.

I keep hearing about improving team speed. Fine, but keep in mind how the Eagles a few years back wanted to improve speed in the linebacker core and then watched Carolina running backs drag Mark Simoneau et al, into the endzone in the NLCS. We drafted Tim Carter for speed and watched him on the IR for the best part of 4 years. I'd take players with better positional sense than speed anyday.

I'd offer Brent Alexander a job as Charles Ways assistant. I'd then sign a flagpole to replace him as chances are it'll be better in coverage.

Sign Kendrick Clancy, he's Keith hamilton lite, but I think if this guy sees that a team appreciates him, he'll be even better than last year. I think it's a wise investment into a guy who's entering his prime years.

The Giants need an experienced 3rd wideout. As crazy as it sounds I keep thinking "Ike Hilliard". Stay to fuck away from Antonio Bryant, that boy is a huge problem.

The Giants need to start up a cheerleader squad and they can sign these ladies first!

06111_130137_Iss01_Centrefold_wanted_01.jpg

Oh and yes, as the Fab 4 suggested " release Eli and sign Big Ben, you know because 2 seasons is a career"

You may slice and dice this as you wish. :TU:

I think I just have more confidence in Whitfield than you at this point. To me, he's certainly more than adequate as a backup. I think if we draft an OT this year, then we might not have room for Whitfield, and that can be a debatable proposition. I don't think cutting Petitgout is going to happen this year, and I don't think the team would carry more than 4 OT's on the team(if we're including Deihl). Whitfield struggled at times coming in for Petitgout, but other times, he nuetralized some of the younger DE's in the league like Jarrod Allen and Trent Cole.

New England went that route last year, and when they lost Matt Light for most of the season, they certainly suffered a blow starting a rookie at left tackle. Although they could be better off because of it this year, it's a tough situation to be in, especially with Luke Petitgout.

Bottom line for me, either way we go, I'd be fine with. It's a tough decision, and I'm glad I'm not the one who has to make it.

Don't know if I was being vague but in no way, shape or form am I mandating cutting Petitgout. My point is that it's very realistic that we'll need to replace him in the next few years. Since we likely won't find a replacement that's affordable through free agency we need to look to the draft. If we don't want to use our first rounder on a Left Tackle then it's even more important that we draft one this year so that he has some time to learn from Petitgout and is ready when called upon to start.

Boohyah's cheerleaders are the best suggestion I've seen in this thread.

Don't know if I was being vague but in no way, shape or form am I mandating cutting Petitgout. My point is that it's very realistic that we'll need to replace him in the next few years. Since we likely won't find a replacement that's affordable through free agency we need to look to the draft. If we don't want to use our first rounder on a Left Tackle then it's even more important that we draft one this year so that he has some time to learn from Petitgout and is ready when called upon to start.

Boohyah's cheerleaders are the best suggestion I've seen in this thread.

Money's comments about Pettigout are correct. He's not the best but you can't afford to cut him or get rid of him. IMO, you should be looking to get a left tackle in the 1st round, but this year our pressing needs are in the linebacker area and secondary. Next year, we can talk about his replacement.

great read Money and I agree on most points. A few posts back you commented that our LB situation is not as bad as it seems and I agree, but I must think of one thing. As an avid listener of Sirrius' NFL morning show with Carl Banks I cannot ignore a theory that Carl speaks of when he says that you do not want to have too much overhaul among a LB position as it causes upheavel to the entire defense, in terms of reads and how guys react. I do agree that either Green and or Emmons must go. Griesen wants to be a starting MLB, so I expect him to be gone. I love the idea of Leber and also feel that Torbor is getting better and better and very well could be Emmons future replacement.

As far as the secondary, I think the Giants will re-sign Allen, after reading yesterdays NYPOST its clear that the Giants want him back and Clements will bloat the market.

I had some sleepless nights in anticipation for your plan, and it has lived up to the expectations. I basically agree whole-heartedly with everything you mention except even though the player may have some decent value, I don't want to spend another first round pick on a DT, especially if we re-sign Clancy.

great read Money and I agree on most points. A few posts back you commented that our LB situation is not as bad as it seems and I agree, but I must think of one thing. As an avid listener of Sirrius' NFL morning show with Carl Banks I cannot ignore a theory that Carl speaks of when he says that you do not want to have too much overhaul among a LB position as it causes upheavel to the entire defense, in terms of reads and how guys react. I do agree that either Green and or Emmons must go. Griesen wants to be a starting MLB, so I expect him to be gone. I love the idea of Leber and also feel that Torbor is getting better and better and very well could be Emmons future replacement.

As far as the secondary, I think the Giants will re-sign Allen, after reading yesterdays NYPOST its clear that the Giants want him back and Clements will bloat the market.

I would prefer to re-sign Allen if possible. If so, there is less of a need to invest a high draft pick in a CB ... in that case, I would either sign a guy like Renaldo Hill or draft someone like Will Blackmon in the 4th...

Money's comments about Pettigout are correct. He's not the best but you can't afford to cut him or get rid of him. IMO, you should be looking to get a left tackle in the 1st round, but this year our pressing needs are in the linebacker area and secondary. Next year, we can talk about his replacement.

I don't want to enter season with the Giants being one back spasm away from having a rookie protecting Eli's blindside. Since we can bring back Whitfield, I would prefer to do that. As long as Whitfield can be an adequate back-up, I think we can postpone the search for another LT.

I don't want to enter season with the Giants being one back spasm away from having a rookie protecting Eli's blindside. Since we can bring back Whitfield, I would prefer to do that. As long as Whitfield can be an adequate back-up, I think we can postpone the search for another LT.

I think a first day rookie could do as good a job as Whitfield if it came down to it. What I think everybody is forgetting is that at some point we'll need to draft a guy for that slot. Why not now?

Because we still have some pretty big issues right now and Whitfield despite getting up there in age, is still a very nice tackle too have behind our guys. Maybe if we fill our voids by FA and earlier in the draft and there is someone we shouldn't pass on due to the position in the draft then we should go for it.

I think a first day rookie could do as good a job as Whitfield if it came down to it. What I think everybody is forgetting is that at some point we'll need to draft a guy for that slot. Why not now?

I disagree that a first day rookie can do the same as Whitfield. Rookies are inherently unknown commodities, while Whitfield is a 14-year vet who did well in spot-duty last season.

I see bringing in a rookie as a last-ditch alternative. We have the resources in place (Luke, Whitfield) to gave another year of solid LT play and focus energy on supplementing the defense with talent.

Does everyone really think that Griesen won't get starters money somewhere and he'll come back to the Giants?

I can really see him getting starter money somewhere. He's never played 2 full seasons, true, but he started a hell of a lot of games the past 2 years and he can play all 3 LB positions.

Why people think he'll have trouble getting starter money is beyond me.

Does everyone really think that Griesen won't get starters money somewhere and he'll come back to the Giants?

I can really see him getting starter money somewhere. He's never played 2 full seasons, true, but he started a hell of a lot of games the past 2 years and he can play all 3 LB positions.

Why people think he'll have trouble getting starter money is beyond me.

There's definitely a health issue IMO. Plus think about it. If the team has proven ready starters, explain to me Barrett Green, Antonio Pierce, Carlos Emmons being signed as FA's and the drafting of Reggie Torbor.

I'm agreeing with you. There are more pressing needs. Believe me I'm more concerned about our punter than our LT.

I disagree that a first day rookie can do the same as Whitfield. Rookies are inherently unknown commodities, while Whitfield is a 14-year vet who did well in spot-duty last season.

I see bringing in a rookie as a last-ditch alternative. We have the resources in place (Luke, Whitfield) to gave another year of solid LT play and focus energy on supplementing the defense with talent.

agreed, its hard enough for a rookie O linemen to learn the terminology, tendencies of players, footwork etc on one side of the line, to expect a rookie to learn both sides would be a lot to ask. Whitfield knows the offense(year #2)he is proficient at both tackle spots and he is a good veteran presence, one who says the right things and keeps guys loose. He is a much better option than a rookie in that backup spot.

Money, seriously great job.

First, I want to comment on your FA signings.

- Ronde Barber, CB, 31

- Jabar Gaffney, WR, 25

- Ben Leber, LB, 27

- Josh McCown, QB, 27

- Lance Schulters, FS, 31

- Dave Zastudil, P, 27

I like everyone of these signings but one. Its not the fact that I dont like it, but I think the opportunity isnt right for that player. Thats QB Josh McCown. Now unless its a short term contract (1 year), I dont think he will sign with us. Im not sure if thats what you had in mind or not... is it?

Besides that I really like your signings. Its what I like most about your Offseason Plan. If Ronde were to be cut, and we have reason to believe he might very well be released, we are front runners for his services. I really like the Ben Leber and Lance Schulters signings. I like the McCown signing but like I said, Im not sure NYG is exactly appealing to him.

I use the same draft sites as you, so our understanding of where prospects will go is in the same ball park. I liked all of your finalist that you had selected as well as your final picks. I have to say, I was a bit disappointed you went with the 4 round mock. One reason being, I think it severly effects the 53 man roster... well its mainly the 5th and 6th round picks. Especially in this draft were there is alot of talent. I would have just like to have known who you thought we would be targeting.

I guess the only pick I have questions about is the 4th round pick Brandon Johnson. Now I understand he could be under rated but why draft two WLBs? I would have rather you drafted a MLB, if you were going to go the LB route. But Im sure you have good reasoning behind your decision.

Also, like Hound, I am not happy with the way you left the LT position, but I could be satisfied with it. I like the fact that we resigned Whitfield to be the first replacement behind Luke and McKenzie. His experience and versitility are very important to keep around, especially on a playoff calibar team. I would honestly like to see us target a rookie to potentially replace Luke at LT, if not be at least a quality backup in the future. I would like to get this guy within the first 5 rounds. Now you said your not to impressed with the OTs but Im thinking we can get a suitable player with potential somewhere from rounds 2-5. I also think we can get 4 OTs on roster. My answer to that would be cutting one of your DTs or OLBs.

Like I said at the start, great job bro, certainly the best I've seen thus far. ;)

agreed, its hard enough for a rookie O linemen to learn the terminology, tendencies of players, footwork etc on one side of the line, to expect a rookie to learn both sides would be a lot to ask. Whitfield knows the offense(year #2)he is proficient at both tackle spots and he is a good veteran presence, one who says the right things and keeps guys loose. He is a much better option than a rookie in that backup spot.

That's a really good point. If we bring in a rookie OT, he'll likely have to back-up both tackle positions. That, or the Giants would have put Diehl at RT and Seibert at LG if Kareem were to get injured.

If you don't want a rookie to man the left tackle slot than all the more reason to draft one this year when, in theory, he shouldn't need to start.

Don't get me wrong guys. I'm not saying we should only take a Left Tackle with our first pick. Lets see what's available at the slot. But that being said, if the prospect is higher rated than what we're staring at in the secondary or linebacker, then yes, we should go O-Line. No need to draft a need position but settle on a lower rated guy.

My criticism regarding Money's post is the complete absence of a left tackle in the entire mock draft. Methinks that's an oversight.

Money, seriously great job.

First, I want to comment on your FA signings.

I like everyone of these signings but one. Its not the fact that I dont like it, but I think the opportunity isnt right for that player. Thats QB Josh McCown. Now unless its a short term contract (1 year), I dont think he will sign with us. Im not sure if thats what you had in mind or not... is it?

Besides that I really like your signings. Its what I like most about your Offseason Plan. If Ronde were to be cut, and we have reason to believe he might very well be released, we are front runners for his services. I really like the Ben Leber and Lance Schulters signings. I like the McCown signing but like I said, Im not sure NYG is exactly appealing to him.

I use the same draft sites as you, so our understanding of where prospects will go is in the same ball park. I liked all of your finalist that you had selected as well as your final picks. I have to say, I was a bit disappointed you went with the 4 round mock. One reason being, I think it severly effects the 53 man roster... well its mainly the 5th and 6th round picks. Especially in this draft were there is alot of talent. I would have just like to have known who you thought we would be targeting.

I guess the only pick I have questions about is the 4th round pick Brandon Johnson. Now I understand he could be under rated but why draft two WLBs? I would have rather you drafted a MLB, if you were going to go the LB route. But Im sure you have good reasoning behind your decision.

Also, like Hound, I am not happy with the way you left the LT position, but I could be satisfied with it. I like the fact that we resigned Whitfield to be the first replacement behind Luke and McKenzie. His experience and versitility are very important to keep around, especially on a playoff calibar team. I would honestly like to see us target a rookie to potentially replace Luke at LT, if not be at least a quality backup in the future. I would like to get this guy within the first 5 rounds. Now you said your not to impressed with the OTs but Im thinking we can get a suitable player with potential somewhere from rounds 2-5. I also think we can get 4 OTs on roster. My answer to that would be cutting one of your DTs or OLBs.

Like I said at the start, great job bro, certainly the best I've seen thus far. ;)

I see McCown as a long-term back-up. You and others are right that there may be a market for him as a starting QB. I don't know if any team can realistically rationalize that Josh McCown could be their solution at starting QB.

-------------

Finally, someone questioned why I only went with a 4-round mock. There are a couple of reasons here:

1. It is much harder to project late round prospects. Specifically, it is difficult to differentiate between guys who will rise to Day One status, guys who will go 5-7, and guys who will go undrafted.

2. I don't think that I could create any more roster spots for rookies. Even the least valuable vets on our roster ... like Damane Duckett, Chase Blackburn, and Eric Moore, for example ... are better than the vast majority of rookies that will be available in the 5th-7th rounds. Obviously low-round and undrafted guys will sneak their way onto the roster come September, but at this point in time it is nearly impossible to project that type of stuff.

3. I had already profiled 25+ rookies, so I was getting kind of tired.

-------------

Rocky McIntosh has the versatility to play WLB and MLB (he played both at Miami). If he puts on weight, he might even be able to play a little SAM. A wise football mind once told me to bring in 2 players when you need 1 ... bring in 3 players when you need 2 ... and so on. Notice how the two primary need areas I outlined (LB and CB) were supplemented by multiple vets and rookies. That is no coincidence.

-------------

Unfortunately, bringing in a rookie OT takes away Whitfield's roster spot. So I feel the Giants have to decide between Whitfield or a rookie OT backing up both tackle position in 2006. My choice would be Whitfield.

The only way to get 4 OTs on the roster is if the rookie OT can back-up any OG position (i.e. Daryn Colledge, who I think goes in the 1st round when all is said and done) AND if we have a guy who can back-up both OG and OC (i.e. Jason Whittle). That seems like a reasonable and realizable scenario, however, such a scenario takes away Rich Seubert's roster spot. Considering Seubert recently restructured his contract, I'm guessing he fits into future plans.

In other words, drafting an OT ... even a versatile guy like Colledge ... means that either Seubert or Whitfield are goners.

I see McCown as a long-term back-up. You and others are right that there may be a market for him as a starting QB. I don't know if any team can realistically rationalize that Josh McCown could be their solution at starting QB.

-------------

Finally, someone questioned why I only went with a 4-round mock. There are a couple of reasons here:

1. It is much harder to project late round prospects. Specifically, it is difficult to differentiate between guys who will rise to Day One status, guys who will go 5-7, and guys who will go undrafted.

2. I don't think that I could create any more roster spots for rookies. Even the least valuable vets on our roster ... like Damane Duckett, Chase Blackburn, and Eric Moore, for example ... are better than the vast majority of rookies that will be available in the 5th-7th rounds. Obviously low-round and undrafted guys will sneak their way onto the roster come September, but at this point in time it is nearly impossible to project that type of stuff.

3. I had already profiled 25+ rookies, so I was getting kind of tired.

-------------

Rocky McIntosh has the versatility to play WLB and MLB (he played both at Miami). If he puts on weight, he might even be able to play a little SAM. A wise football mind once told me to bring in 2 players when you need 1 ... bring in 3 players when you need 2 ... and so on. Notice how the two primary need areas I outlined (LB and CB) were supplemented by multiple vets and rookies. That is no coincidence.

-------------

Unfortunately, bringing in a rookie OT takes away Whitfield's roster spot. So I feel the Giants have to decide between Whitfield or a rookie OT backing up both tackle position in 2006. My choice would be Whitfield.

The only way to get 4 OTs on the roster is if the rookie OT can back-up any OG position (i.e. Daryn Colledge, who I think goes in the 1st round when all is said and done) AND if we have a guy who can back-up both OG and OC (i.e. Jason Whittle). That seems like a reasonable and realizable scenario, however, such a scenario takes away Rich Seubert's roster spot. Considering Seubert recently restructured his contract, I'm guessing he fits into future plans.

In other words, drafting an OT ... even a versatile guy like Colledge ... means that either Seubert or Whitfield are goners.

I dont necessarily think McCown is a starter but is still in a position where he should/can compete for a starting spot.

You are right, it is hard and nearly impossible especially undrafted rookies. Maybe if you do update this you could include a 5-7, it should be a little easier after the combine. If not I can understand. lol and I can definitely understand you getting tired, you put in a lot of work.

I definitely like the McIntosh pick because of his versatility, but like you I think he has a chance to be a probowl type player at WLB. (im pretty sure that was you who said that). I like Dale Robinson as a possible 4th round pick if I were to go Lb. He too has the versatility but is more of a natural MLB like McIntosh at WLB.

I like the way you did things but just questioned that particular player and pick, thats all.

I think there is a good chance Whittle is gone because of Snee's ability to play center, it was also noted in a recent article Seubert can play center. Whittle being cut frees up cap space with out a cap it. I like his versatilty but with one of our later picks we can easily replace him with a less expensive player. Interrior Olinemen are relatively easy to find. So I have no problem with making that cut even if we didnt draft a player to replace him. I still think we can get rid of one of the other players at either DT or LB to fit in a Tackle. Although that would result in carrying an extra lineman which we havent done in the last few seasons.

I think there is a good chance Whittle is gone because of Snee's ability to play center, it was also noted in a recent article Seubert can play center. Whittle being cut frees up cap space with out a cap it. I like his versatilty but with one of our later picks we can easily replace him with a less expensive player. Interrior Olinemen are relatively easy to find. So I have no problem with making that cut even if we didnt draft a player to replace him. I still think we can get rid of one of the other players at either DT or LB to fit in a Tackle. Although that would result in carrying an extra lineman which we havent done in the last few seasons.

I don't know if I'd be comfortable entering a season with our starting RG serving as our primary back-up OC. Any OL situation where 1 injury means 2 positions changes is not promising.

Cutting Whittle frees up $1.47 million in cap space, but a guy with his versatility is a useful commodity. Keep in mind that cutting him creates another need (back-up OC). And, if Luke, Diehl, O'Hara, Snee, McKenzie, Whitfield, Seubert, and Day 1 Rookie are all on the roster next year ... I don't think there is room for a late-round OC (Whittle's replacement). Carrying 9 OL instead of the standard 8 is truly a luxury, and I don't know if we have the roster flexibility to pull it off.

Here's a free agent name to toss out there, especially with the likely loss of Greisen, Rocky Calmus of Indianapolis. They likely won't have the money to resign him. He was a relatively highly regarded prospect but has struggled to remain healthy. He likely wouldn't carry a high price tag but has a nice upside and he's young.

I looked into Bart Scott, and if he is capable of playing on the outside, then we should make a run at him...

He's a good player with versatility and special teams skills. But I have to think Baltimore will make a strong effort to keep him.