SportsWrath

Most Underrated Giant of all time.

Chuck Wagon

Wait...can I get an idea on what some of you guys think "underrated" means? And by who?

I can't imagine a Giant fan underrating guys like Banks or Bavaro--they're legends, for pete's sake.

Usually, this topic devolves into 'favorite players not named Lawrence Taylor'.

I feel like Keith Hamilton was always pretty underrated when he was playing here. Dude was a force in the middle from 1996 to 2002.

Offense? Probably Charles Way

Good choice, Golf.

Wait...can I get an idea on what some of you guys think "underrated" means? And by who?

I can't imagine a Giant fan underrating guys like Banks or Bavaro--they're legends, for pete's sake.

That's what I was thinking.

UK, I don't think Toomer is underrated at all... I think a lot of us appreciate him for the durable steady producer he was. I had the honor meeting him back in 2002 in Albany... I kid you not my first remark to him was "Amani, what happened to you? You seem to have lost a lot of weight"... he smiled at me and concurred... stating that he had change his routine to accommodate getting older... now a decade later, I know exactly what he meant lol.

UK, I don't think Toomer is underrated at all... I think a lot of us appreciate him for the durable steady producer he was. I had the honor meeting him back in 2002 in Albany... I kid you not my first remark to him was "Amani, what happened to you? You seem to have lost a lot of weight"... he smiled at me and concurred... stating that he had change his routine to accommodate getting older... now a decade later, I know exactly what he meant lol.

fair points Nas , I just feel that AT was a truly great Giant ......and it is often quickly forgotten by some ( not you clearly ). regards UK

Under-valued in a historical manner.....not appreciated when compared to others at that position.

Take Ron Johnson...played on a losers for the most part so...when people say..."who was the best NYG back of all time..." he gets a short shift to great backs like Tiki or Morris....but those guys played on better teams and under better conditions.

Overshadowed.

Reasons...played next to LT, Banks, and Carson...two HOF'er..and a guy that is certainly on the bubble....that being said..G. Reasons was a straight up hitting machine himself...and a major contributor to that squad.

What made me think of this was the NFL Channels "Top Ten" program. They did the top "LInebacking Corp" of all time...and the segament on the 1986 G-Mens (they were rated #2....total bullshit..they should have been #1 but that's off topic)...anyway....they are doing the rundown...on LT, Carson and Banks...and don't mention Reasons..or if they did ..was only once...even though they ran a 3-4....and then they show specific hightlights (which were AWESOME) ..they didn't single Reasons out like the did the other three.......but when they are showing their highlights....pretty much whenever 58, 56, or 53 is hitting someone....55 is right there with them.

That to me is underated...he was really, really good...but had the misfortune/fortune...to play next to three dudes that are great.

If that makes sense.

C. Wagon.

I feel like Keith Hamilton was always pretty underrated when he was playing here. Dude was a force in the middle from 1996 to 2002.

Offense? Probably Charles Way

Those are the two that pop out at me. Hamilton was dominant at times, there were a few seasons I thought he was a better defensive player than Strahan.

And Way was playing hellishly good football while Mike Alstott, who was half the player, got ridiculous press.

I think you guys covered what I was going to say. Keith Hamilton was my top choice.

Another underrated name, not necessarily the most underrated of all time, but a guy who didn't get enough credit considering the crap he played around: Chris Calloway. Basically, but also sadly, the most consistent Giants receiver of the 90's (I exclude Toomer because he didn't get good until 99 and 2000). Calloway gets credit for having also played through our mid-late 90's shit QBs Dave Brown, Kanell, Graham, etc.

Under-valued in a historical manner.....not appreciated when compared to others at that position.

Take Ron Johnson...played on a losers for the most part so...when people say..."who was the best NYG back of all time..." he gets a short shift to great backs like Tiki or Morris....but those guys played on better teams and under better conditions.

Overshadowed.

Reasons...played next to LT, Banks, and Carson...two HOF'er..and a guy that is certainly on the bubble....that being said..G. Reasons was a straight up hitting machine himself...and a major contributor to that squad.

What made me think of this was the NFL Channels "Top Ten" program. They did the top "LInebacking Corp" of all time...and the segament on the 1986 G-Mens (they were rated #2....total bullshit..they should have been #1 but that's off topic)...anyway....they are doing the rundown...on LT, Carson and Banks...and don't mention Reasons..or if they did ..was only once...even though they ran a 3-4....and then they show specific hightlights (which were AWESOME) ..they didn't single Reasons out like the did the other three.......but when they are showing their highlights....pretty much whenever 58, 56, or 53 is hitting someone....55 is right there with them.

That to me is underated...he was really, really good...but had the misfortune/fortune...to play next to three dudes that are great.

If that makes sense.

C. Wagon.

By that definition, I'll add Zeke Mowatt, Byron Hunt, Everson Walls, and second Jim's Maurice Carthon.

Zeke Mowatt--a fine young TE, who had a knee injury and got Wally Pipped by Bavaro.

Byron Hunt--Good linebacker that unfortunately played the same position as VanPelt and Banks.

Everson Walls--True he played most of his career with the Cowpies, but was big in our second superbowl season

Maurice Carthon--still the best pure blocking fullback I've ever seen, on any team. Led the way for Hershel Walker in the USFL (in his 2000 yard season), Joe Morris, and helped revive OJ Anderson. Probably the reason Morris learned how to run in 1985.

OH! OH! FORGOT!!

Tony Galbreath--The primordial Dave Meggett.

I like Booyah's selection of Rich Seubert too. That guy was a hell of a football player and was even better after he suffered that awful, awful leg injury against the Eagles in 2003 that wiped out 2 years of his prime. I've gotta believe if Tom Coughlin had "favorites" and I don't believe he does...Rich Seubert would be right up there on his list.

You know who I just thought of, George Martin, who gave the Giants another sack threat. And while we're on the subject, Leonard Marshall, who not only was a great player, but he bought me a drink at Le Bar Bat because I imitated Montana on the sidelines after he hit him.

I like Booyah's selection of Rich Seubert too. That guy was a hell of a football player and was even better after he suffered that awful, awful leg injury against the Eagles in 2003 that wiped out 2 years of his prime. I've gotta believe if Tom Coughlin had "favorites" and I don't believe he does...Rich Seubert would be right up there on his list.

Spot on... Richie is a fan favorite.

You know who I just thought of, George Martin, who gave the Giants another sack threat. And while we're on the subject, Leonard Marshall, who not only was a great player, but he bought me a drink at Le Bar Bat because I imitated Montana on the sidelines after he hit him.

Didn't George have the most career tds for a defensive lineman at one point?

I'm trying to stay away from the most recent teams, because I've ranted about them a lot. Fred Robbins in particular. And the whole offensive line of Diehl, Seubert, O'Hara, Snee, and McKenzie was arguably the best in the league at it's peak (2008).

But I'll add two names from the Coughlin era that no one's mentioned: Sam Madison and RW McQuarters. If you look at the culture of the defensive backfield before they arrived and afterwards, it seems like night and day.

I'm trying to stay away from the most recent teams, because I've ranted about them a lot. Fred Robbins in particular. And the whole offensive line of Diehl, Seubert, O'Hara, Snee, and McKenzie was arguably the best in the league at it's peak (2008).

But I'll add two names from the Coughlin era that no one's mentioned: Sam Madison and RW McQuarters. If you look at the culture of the defensive backfield before they arrived and afterwards, it seems like night and day.

Yes I think so, good memory. RW McQuarters is a good one. Sam Garnes also.

Both of those guys underperformed IMO for us in the regular season, but their experience in the playoff stretch that year was big, and their presence back there lit a fire under Corey Webster.

By that definition, I'll add Zeke Mowatt, Byron Hunt, Everson Walls, and second Jim's Maurice Carthon.

Zeke Mowatt--a fine young TE, who had a knee injury and got Wally Pipped by Bavaro.

Byron Hunt--Good linebacker that unfortunately played the same position as VanPelt and Banks.

Everson Walls--True he played most of his career with the Cowpies, but was big in our second superbowl season

Maurice Carthon--still the best pure blocking fullback I've ever seen, on any team. Led the way for Hershel Walker in the USFL (in his 2000 yard season), Joe Morris, and helped revive OJ Anderson. Probably the reason Morris learned how to run in 1985.

OH! OH! FORGOT!!

Tony Galbreath--The primordial Dave Meggett.

Damn...those are all good ones too,.

Base on this responses to this ...I should have gone with "All Time All Underrated Giants Team".

C. Wagon.