Giants 4th Round Pick (124) - Barry Cofield, DT, Northwestern

uconngiants

Prospect Profile: Barry Cofield

By: TFY Draft Preview

Date: Mar 20, 2006

http://nfldraft.scout.com/2/511281.html

Full Name: Barry Cofield School: Northwestern Pos: DT

Ht: 6-4 Wt: 304 40: 5.01 Year: 4Sr

Bio: Three-year starter who posted career numbers of 63/6.5/13 as a senior after junior totals of 52/5/15.

Pos: Athletic prospect who flashes ability. Plays with good pad level, gets leverage on opponents and immediately changes his angle of attack, pursuing to the sidelines with speed. Relatively instinctive and reads the action. Resilient and stays with the play.

Neg: Stymied at the point and very slow shedding blocks. Not a penetrating lineman.

Analysis: Possessing outstanding computer numbers, Cofield is an average worker who has yet to meet the expectations of NFL scouts. Offers potential at defensive tackle or as a two-gap lineman but must take his game to the next level.

Guest Lockhart

This from ESPN Insider:

Is a bit of a 'tweener who lacks ideal bulk and lower body strength at DT, but also lacks ideal top-end speed and athletic ability at DE. The more space he's in on the perimeter the less effective he is, but he will need to keep on the move in order to be effective as an interior DL. He plays with a narrow base for a DT and will struggle to anchor when teams run at him. He is quick and penetrates gaps inside but he does not show the acceleration or closing burst to make an impact as an edge rusher. Is a bit inconsistent in terms of his motor. Gives a great effort on one play but will take the next one off. He seems to work harder vs. the run than he does as a pass rusher.

He's another William Joseph - this is a joke.

From Gil Brandt:

11. Barry Cofield, Northwestern (6-4, 304, 4.98)

Cofield had a complete workout at the Combine. He ran his two 40s in 4.95 and 5.01 seconds. He also recorded a 34-inch vertical jump, an 8-foot-8 long jump, a 4.35 short shuttle, a 7.43 three-cone drill and 36 bench presses. He played as a true freshman in 2002. He started 12 games in 2003 as a defensive end, 11 games as an end in 2004 and 12 games at defensive tackle in 2005. He played defensive end in high school and also played basketball, baseball and track. He can play both end and tackle, though I think tackle is his best NFL position. He's a strong and powerful player. He doesn't have many pass-rush moves. He seems to have a problem with stamina and tires in the fourth quarter. He's a smart player, though he needs to play lower.

I like this pick. His only obvious weakness is the pass rush, something we definitely don't need from our DT. He's a big, strong guy and I think has the potential to join our rotation.

I don't like this pick, I would have been happier with quite a few other prospects ahead of him, but, we weren't exactly going to find a stud down here. It is what it is.

From Gil Brandt:

11. Barry Cofield, Northwestern (6-4, 304, 4.98)

Cofield had a complete workout at the Combine. He ran his two 40s in 4.95 and 5.01 seconds. He also recorded a 34-inch vertical jump, an 8-foot-8 long jump, a 4.35 short shuttle, a 7.43 three-cone drill and 36 bench presses. He played as a true freshman in 2002. He started 12 games in 2003 as a defensive end, 11 games as an end in 2004 and 12 games at defensive tackle in 2005. He played defensive end in high school and also played basketball, baseball and track. He can play both end and tackle, though I think tackle is his best NFL position. He's a strong and powerful player. He doesn't have many pass-rush moves. He seems to have a problem with stamina and tires in the fourth quarter. He's a smart player, though he needs to play lower.

General: Three-year starting defensive lineman ... Developed into a top-flight defensive lineman by his senior season ... Tabbed a preseason second-team All-Big Ten selection by collegefootballnews.com ... Playing hard and consistent day-in and day-out is the challenge he's been given by the coaching staff ... Outstanding athlete with good size and speed ... A strong player who can plug holes and make plays ... Played in 49 career games with 36 starts ... 197 career tackles and 15.5 career TFL's.

2005: Team co-captain ... Second-team (coaches) and honorable mention (media) All-Big Ten selection ... Ranked fourth on team with 63 tackles (led all defensive linemen), second in TFL's (6.5), second in pass breakups (5) and first in QB hurries (7) ... A dream came true when he grabbed his first career interception (16-yard return) against Illinois in his final regular-season game ... Also added four tackles and a hurry vs. the Illini ... Registered 10 tackles (five solos), a forced fumble and a 1/2 sack in the Sun Bowl game ... Notched five tackles, including 1.5 TFL's, a quarterback hurry and a fumble recovery vs. Ohio (Sept. 3) ... Added a 0.5 sack vs. Ohio ... Totaled five tackles and a pass breakup (on a third-down play) vs. Northern Illinois (Sept. 10) ... Some of his top performances have come in the last month: five tackles (four solos, which included one TFL) against Arizona State; three tackles (one sack), three pass deflections, three hurries and a forced fumble vs. Penn State; and eight tackles, a TFL and two hurries vs. Wisconsin ... Three solo tackles and a pass breakup at Purdue ... Four tackles at Michigan State ... Six tackles, including a TFL, vs. Michigan ... Had four tackles and a 0.5 TFL vs. Iowa ... Named the ABC/Chevrolet Player of the Game for his performance against Ohio State (six tackles).

2004: Second-year starter ... Turned in his best game of the season at Penn State: career-high eight tackles (career-high six solos) ... Named team's defensive player of the game for that effort ... Had three tackles, which included a 1-yard sack at TCU ... Notched his second sack of the year, to go along with five other tackles, vs. Arizona State ... Four tackles, including a 0.5 sack, vs. Kansas ... Five tackles, which included two TFL's, at Minnesota ... Four tackles vs. Indiana ... Totaled four tackles, as well as a pass breakup and QB hurry at Wisconsin ... Four tackles vs. Purdue ... Notched three solo hits at Michigan ... Six tackles, including a sack and breakup, vs. Illinois ... Two tackles, a pass breakup and QB hurry at Hawaii.

2003: First-year starter ... Totaled two tackles each vs. Kansas and Air Force ... Forced one of Air Force's two fumbles ... Three solo tackles, including a TFL, against Miami ... Three tackles and a hurry at Duke ... Had a solid performance at Ohio State: season-high six tackles (two solos) and a hurry ... Six tackles (one solo) vs. Minnesota ... Season-best seven tackles (five solos) at Indiana ... Five tackles and a hurry vs. Wisconsin ... Logged five tackles, including his first career sack at Purdue ... Two tackles and a hurry vs. Penn State ... Three tackles vs. Michigan ... Recovered a key fumble in the season-ending win over Illinois ... Two assisted tackles vs. Bowling Green in the Motor City Bowl.

2002: True freshman who saw some significant reserve time at tackle ... Registered a season-high seven-tackle performance at Iowa ... Had one tackle in debut at Air Force and three tackles vs. TCU ... Three tackles and a forced fumble vs. Duke ... Four tackles (one TFL) and a fumble recovery at Navy ... Two assisted tackles at Michigan State ... Two tackles vs. Ohio State ... Three tackles (two solos) at Minnesota ... Two hits at Penn State ... Two assisted tackles vs. Purdue ... Four tackles vs. Indiana ... Three tackles, including a TFL, vs. Illinois.

High School: SuperPrep All-Midwest Region ... Second-team all-state defensive end in 2001 ... Also earned first-team All-Lake Erie League and first-team all-district honors ... Registered 84 tackles, 19 tackles for loss, 12 sacks and six pass deflections his senior season ... Nominated to play in Ohio North-South and Big 33 (Ohio vs. Pennsylvania) all-star games ... Also an all-league and honorable mention all-district basketball player (11 ppg, 8 rpg, 5 apg) ... Lettered in baseball and track as well ... Owns an 11.75 100-meter time ... Member of school's Honor Roll ... Coached by Mike Jones.

Personal: Born Barry Joseph Cofield Jr. on 3/19/84 ... Son of Cathy Cofield ... Chose NU over Notre Dame, Georgia Tech, Maryland and Pittsburgh ... Communication studies and sociology major.

The Cofield File

Q: A song that best describes you is...

A: Eye of the Tiger -- Survivor

Q: If you could dine with anyone from any period in history, who would it be?

A: Martin Luther King Jr.

Q: If you could have a starring role in any film already made, which movie would you pick?

A: Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

Q: What is the greatest lesson in life that you have learned?

A: Treat others the way you want to be treated

Q: My favorite pregame ritual is...

A: A hot shower followed by prayer

Q: My favorite opposing stadium to play in is...

A: Ohio State

Q: My favorite place to visit is...

A: Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

Q: The person that inspires me the most is...

A: My mom

Q: My favorite food is...

A: Pizza

Q: When I played football as a kid, I pretended to be...

A: Barry Sanders

Q: In five words or less describe Coach Walker...

A: Short, intelligent and approachable

Q: If you could suddenly possess an extraordinary talent in one of the arts, what would you like it to be?

A: I would like to be able to sing. I think I would remind many people of Ruben Studdard

I think Barry Cofield is going to be a fan favorite. He has a very good personality and will do what we need at DT.

I was really pulling for LeKevin Smith, and I'm not quite sure why he's gone yet, unles it's off-the field issues. He's got a much different playing style than Cofield, really quick and disruptive off the snap.

I was really pulling for LeKevin Smith, and I'm not quite sure why he's gone yet, unles it's off-the field issues. He's got a much different playing style than Cofield, really quick and disruptive off the snap.

Smith could be dropping because of his injuries. I still wouldnt be surprised if we grabbed another.

Just selected OT Guy Whimper. I did not want this guy. He has good speed and size but does not use it to his ability. Total bust in the NFL.

I'm curious, how many times have you seen Guy Whimper player?