SportsWrath

can we get an cowboy's redskins thread going here

JackStroud

The Redskins are better than us right now...........how the hell did that happen?

Those SHANAHANS

they are nowhere close to being has good has us. Their one read college spread offense, will be figured out and they will be 4-12 next year. D. They have tons of needs still and because they gave up five years worth of picks for Bob, they can't fix it, it was more luck for them, then skill.

they are nowhere close to being has good has us. Their one read college spread offense, will be figured out and they will be 4-12 next year. D. They have tons of needs still and because they gave up five years worth of picks for Bob, they can't fix it, it was more luck for them, then skill.

This^...the Shanahans are very good at designing plays to a QB's strengths and hiding or ameliorating his weaknesses. I would love to have either one as an OC or HC for Papa Shanahan whenever Cheerleader hangs it up and he was available.

they are nowhere close to being has good has us.

I guess that would explain why you're not in the playoffs. LOL

Their one read college spread offense, will be figured out and they will be 4-12 next year. D. They have tons of needs still and because they gave up five years worth of picks for Bob, they can't fix it, it was more luck for them, then skill.

It's not a one read spread offense although that's what been used a lot against defenses like the Cowboys and Giants who are very aggressive. It works great against aggressive defenses that commit early. They show their hand early and end up leaving gaping holes.

Not sure where the TONS of needs comes in or the 5 years worth of picks? Be interested to hear the logic behind that.

The guys who got us into the playoffs are young, many of them rookies. I don't see us going particularly far in the playoffs but this team will be better next year and much of the talent is made up of young players.

Eagles are going to need to rebuild but I would't be surprised if they are able to do that relatively fast. They do have good players and a new coach with some freshness might do wonders.

Cowboys are going to have to give up on the Romo experiment. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Jerry needs to step down as GM (not going to happen)

Giants. pretty much the same as always. Capable of playing really good or really bad. I think your offensive line needs some retooling. I can never figure out the Giants though. It's like certain skill positions are lights out or non existent even with the same players. strange. Must come down to coaching but you've won two super bowls with that approach so I guess it's not a bad trade off. Eli is the perfect example. He'll go long stretches where you start thinking of him in a Tom Brady, Rodgers etc. etc. type of category and than he'll play stretches where he looks like Rex Grossman.

Redskins. Up and coming. A lot of young talent and much of it from lower round draft picks. Secondary is the biggest weakness. Having our two top safeties out for the year didn't help. We need more CB depth. Perry Riley is heir apparent to London Fletcher. I like our LB depth. Really like our quarterback situation and depth.

It's foolish to think Cousins is a better passer than RGIII because of the numbers he put up against Cleveland. They basically committed to stopping the run and dared Cousins to beat him passing the ball. He's certainly a good backup to have though and could be a legitimate starter. I hope we don't trade him unless someone offers up a number 1 for him.

Perfect game plan for last night. The Cowboys defense was really banged up so running the ball and keeping our suspect defense off the field made perfect sense. Especially considering RGIII's knee is still kind of messed up. His throws were off most of the night and you could see he wasn't setting up properly.

I guess that would explain why you're not in the playoffs. LOL

It's not a one read spread offense although that's what been used a lot against defenses like the Cowboys and Giants who are very aggressive. It works great against aggressive defenses that commit early. They show their hand early and end up leaving gaping holes.

Not sure where the TONS of needs comes in or the 5 years worth of picks? Be interested to hear the logic behind that.

The guys who got us into the playoffs are young, many of them rookies. I don't see us going particularly far in the playoffs but this team will be better next year and much of the talent is made up of young players.

Eagles are going to need to rebuild but I would't be surprised if they are able to do that relatively fast. They do have good players and a new coach with some freshness might do wonders.

Cowboys are going to have to give up on the Romo experiment. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Jerry needs to step down as GM (not going to happen)

Giants. pretty much the same as always. Capable of playing really good or really bad. I think your offensive line needs some retooling. I can never figure out the Giants though. It's like certain skill positions are lights out or non existent even with the same players. strange. Must come down to coaching but you've won two super bowls with that approach so I guess it's not a bad trade off. Eli is the perfect example. He'll go long stretches where you start thinking of him in a Tom Brady, Rodgers etc. etc. type of category and than he'll play stretches where he looks like Rex Grossman.

Redskins. Up and coming. A lot of young talent and much of it from lower round draft picks. Secondary is the biggest weakness. Having our two top safeties out for the year didn't help. We need more CB depth. Perry Riley is heir apparent to London Fletcher. I like our LB depth. Really like our quarterback situation and depth.

It's foolish to think Cousins is a better passer than RGIII because of the numbers he put up against Cleveland. They basically committed to stopping the run and dared Cousins to beat him passing the ball. He's certainly a good backup to have though and could be a legitimate starter. I hope we don't trade him unless someone offers up a number 1 for him.

Perfect game plan for last night. The Cowboys defense was really banged up so running the ball and keeping our suspect defense off the field made perfect sense. Especially considering RGIII's knee is still kind of messed up. His throws were off most of the night and you could see he wasn't setting up properly.

You guys need a OT opposite Williams, your WR's aren't exactly elite, when Garcon was hurt, it showed. Your secondary is a mess, you were probably better off without Meriweather, D. Hall is awful and Dez Bryant was massacring him last night. Wilson might be your best corner, he is better suited for the nickel. Your right the LB's are good, Jackson filled in for Orakpo well, Riley looks good and you have Keenan Robinson who was hurt all year, they liked him before he went down with an injury. OK your O isn't exactly one read, even though it is. It's a college pistol offense that WAC teams run, but Seattle and San Francisco run something similar and they have success, it's uptempo and it does work well against us. Our big problems are containing the edge and covering the short middle of the field, with our LB's. You guys are gonna present a challenge(even though I don't want to admit), I don't think Dallas is moving on from Romo and I have no idea who else they could even get. This a bad year to draft a QB, but guys like Flynn, Smith will be available, you guys might trade Cousins if the price is right. I have no idea where everyone sees the talent the Eagles have. The five year thing was an exaggeration it's three years. I guess you guys should be happy with a franchise QB though, after years of Brunell,Green, Grossman,Frerotte,Banks,Campbell,way past his prime McNabb,Johnson,Matthews, Ramsey, oh yeah Todd Collins who beat us in '07, after not starting since '99, believe that was a monday nighter, but we won the SB that year.

The Redskins are better than us right now........next year we'll see

No team is assured continued success unless they are the Patriots playing in a Division of Patsies

At least the Patriots backed it up with AFC Championships. Peyton, built great regular season redcords, playing in poor divisions, AFC South was awful, while he was there. First year in the west, that's the worst division in football.

You guys need a OT opposite Williams, your WR's aren't exactly elite, when Garcon was hurt, it showed. Your secondary is a mess, you were probably better off without Meriweather, D. Hall is awful and Dez Bryant was massacring him last night. Wilson might be your best corner, he is better suited for the nickel. Your right the LB's are good, Jackson filled in for Orakpo well, Riley looks good and you have Keenan Robinson who was hurt all year, they liked him before he went down with an injury. OK your O isn't exactly one read, even though it is. It's a college pistol offense that WAC teams run, but Seattle and San Francisco run something similar and they have success, it's uptempo and it does work well against us. Our big problems are containing the edge and covering the short middle of the field, with our LB's. You guys are gonna present a challenge(even though I don't want to admit), I don't think Dallas is moving on from Romo and I have no idea who else they could even get. This a bad year to draft a QB, but guys like Flynn, Smith will be available, you guys might trade Cousins if the price is right. I have no idea where everyone sees the talent the Eagles have. The five year thing was an exaggeration it's three years. I guess you guys should be happy with a franchise QB though, after years of Brunell,Green, Grossman,Frerotte,Banks,Campbell,way past his prime McNabb,Johnson,Matthews, Ramsey, oh yeah Todd Collins who beat us in '07, after not starting since '99, believe that was a monday nighter, but we won the SB that year.

Our offensive line has only one pro bowler but I could care less about that. It's about playing well together within a scheme and they do that great. It's not like Shannahan hasn't created well working offensive lines before. He's been to that pony show before so it's not just a weird coincidence that he's done it again. I'm perfectly happy with our line. Could use some more depth, some upgrades maybe but I'd be happy with what we've got now. You don't need a line of big names to have a great line. We're first in the league in rushing so I'm content there. Don't buy you're tons of holes on the offensive line.

Receivers. Sure they could be better but we've got numerous guys with over 500 yards receiving so the ball is getting around. Tight ends with Logan Paulsen and Fred Davis (who was out all year) are above average.

LB's you didn't mention Ryan Kerrigan who's almost as good as Orakpo. I'd said just as good maybe.

Hall covered Bryant man to man all night last night and was a big reason Dallas didn't do much. He gets burned on occasion but he's a good corner. We'll have our two starting safeties back next year. But yeah we could improve our secondary. Getting Orakpo and Carriker back next year will also improve our pass rush.

Wilson is just fine as a corner. Don't know where the nickel thing comes in?

The only really valid claim you made was in regards to the secondary but it certainly ain't tons of holes. We didn't give up 3 years worth of picks for RGIII either. We swapped number one picks (number 6 to number 2). We also gave 2 years worth of number ones and a second round pick. No one is laughing at that trade now.

College pistol offense? Just because you saw it a few times that's all of a sudden the only offense the Redskins use?

Just because something is new doesn't mean it can't continue to work. Some people seem to think the only type of offense that can be run is old boring types that have been used for years and years. When the west coast offense came out everyone was saying the same thing. Just because it's a new offense it doesn't mean you can simply "figure it out".

If you've got guys that can execute it it will continue to give teams problems just like any other offensive scheme. What makes RGIII so dangerous is he can drop back and throw great in the pocket as well.

Our offensive line has only one pro bowler but I could care less about that. It's about playing well together within a scheme and they do that great. It's not like Shannahan hasn't created well working offensive lines before. He's been to that pony show before so it's not just a weird coincidence that he's done it again. I'm perfectly happy with our line. Could use some more depth, some upgrades maybe but I'd be happy with what we've got now. You don't need a line of big names to have a great line. We're first in the league in rushing so I'm content there. Don't buy you're tons of holes on the offensive line.

Receivers. Sure they could be better but we've got numerous guys with over 500 yards receiving so the ball is getting around. Tight ends with Logan Paulsen and Fred Davis (who was out all year) are above average.

LB's you didn't mention Ryan Kerrigan who's almost as good as Orakpo. I'd said just as good maybe.

Hall covered Bryant man to man all night last night and was a big reason Dallas didn't do much. He gets burned on occasion but he's a good corner. We'll have our two starting safeties back next year. But yeah we could improve our secondary. Getting Orakpo and Carriker back next year will also improve our pass rush.

Wilson is just fine as a corner. Don't know where the nickel thing comes in?

The only really valid claim you made was in regards to the secondary but it certainly ain't tons of holes and you completely dodged your erroneous 5 years worth of picks for RGIII.

College pistol offense? Just because you saw it a few times that's all of a sudden the only offense the Redskins use? funny

I didn't say tons of holes, I said RT and the pistol is your main offense, maybe many variations of it, but it's your centerpiece offense.

Hey MIkMak............before you go blowing your horn too loud go win a playoff game will ya......our biggest enemy was complacency not the Redskins

You got the Seahawks right..........good luck with that one....you may well be one and done......sitting here next week with Les Miserables.....question is will you come back here if Pete Carroll lays 55 on you?

BTW Welcome back to the board. We sucked this year, but all the pieces are there to dominate in 2013. Your talking to fans who have won 2 Super Bowls in 4 years time. I see a Mike Vick destiny for your wonder boy.....eventually he will get clocked- he's no Fran Tarkenton with eyes in the back of his head

Hey MIkMak............before you go blowing your horn too loud go win a playoff game will ya......our biggest enemy was complacency not the Redskins

You got the Seahawks right..........good luck with that one....you may well be one and done......sitting here next week with Les Miserables.....question is will you come back here if Pete Carroll lays 55 on you?

BTW Welcome back to the board. We sucked this year, but all the pieces are there to dominate in 2013. Your talking to fans who have won 2 Super Bowls in 4 years time. I see a Mike Vick destiny for your wonder boy.....eventually he will get clocked- he's no Fran Tarkenton with eyes in the back of his head

I already said I don't see us going far in the playoffs. Our defense is too easy to exploit and there's a lot of teams in the NFC that are really balanced. I simply commented on a post where someone claimed the Redskins are nowhere as good as the Giants. I don't recall ever coming in here and gloating. I don't think the Redskins look like a superbowl caliber team but they definitely look like a playoff caliber team and have the makings of a super bowl team in the coming years.

As for RGIII being another Michael Vick. That's your opinion and I guess we'll find out if you're wrong. Other than both of them being able to run well I don't see much of a comparison.

I didn't say tons of holes, I said RT and the pistol is your main offense, maybe many variations of it, but it's your centerpiece offense.

You said "tons of needs". Pretty much the same thing right?

The pistol isn't the centerpiece of the Redskins offense but it's worked well for us. It's a combination zone blocking scheme, mixed with traditional Shannahan schemes and some read/option pistol stuff thrown in as well. RGIII hardly ran the pistol in college anyways.

Funny how some people think something is a gimmick simply because it's new. Look at the teams in the playoffs and many of them are employing similar new wrinkles. Interesting article on some of these new looks.

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2012/12/27/3792740/pistol-offense-nfl-redskins-rg3

I already said I don't see us going far in the playoffs. Our defense is too easy to exploit and there's a lot of teams in the NFC that are really balanced. I simply commented on a post where someone claimed the Redskins are nowhere as good as the Giants. I don't recall ever coming in here and gloating.

As for RGIII being another Michael Vick. That's your opinion and I guess we'll find out if you're wrong. Other than both of them being able to run well I don't see much of a comparison.

He's already suffered a concussion and torn up knee.........I was comparing him to Fran Tarkenton, who I believe never took a solid shot, or missed a down in his career..........Mike Vick, don't go there, Mike Vick is a sad sad story..........no RG will not wind up like Vick but if he continues to run the option he will be crippled

You said "tons of needs". Pretty much the same thing right?

The pistol isn't the centerpiece of the Redskins offense but it's worked well for us. It's a combination zone blocking scheme, mixed with traditional Shannahan schemes and some read/option pistol stuff thrown in as well. RGIII hardly ran the pistol in college anyways.

Funny how some people think something is a gimmick simply because it's new. Look at the teams in the playoffs and many of them are employing similar new wrinkles. Interesting article on some of these new looks.

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2012/12/27/3792740/pistol-offense-nfl-redskins-rg3

No he ran the spread option at Baylor, I read that article before and already said how San Fran and Seattle run a pistol formation. You guys do use ZBS, and you used alot of ut against Dallas, it even says in that article though, the pistol is your centerpiece and it is a gimmick, and not new

Mik, I think RGIII has a great future and I said before the season that not only do I think the Redskins are building something under Shanahan, but thought RGIII was the real deal after initially not being sold on him. He is a real leader, a fantastic young man. The Redskins are lucky to have him. I don't know what bigblue25 was talking about with DeAngelo Hall, he was pretty dominant against Dez. Especially considering how much Dez was dominating other teams coming into the game.

I think the receivers are just fine. Garcon is a great talent, it's too bad for my fantasy team that he wasn't able to stay healthy this year and put together a great season. I think Hankerson is an emerging talent and Moss a nice compliment at this point, along with Morgan. I don't see WR as a problem, and don't think they really need to do anything to address it in the offseason. The 'Skins have the luxury now of not having to try to find a QB in the drafts. And that means they can focus on getting players for the lines and the secondary.

Mik, I think RGIII has a great future and I said before the season that not only do I think the Redskins are building something under Shanahan, but thought RGIII was the real deal after initially not being sold on him. He is a real leader, a fantastic young man. The Redskins are lucky to have him. I don't know what bigblue25 was talking about with DeAngelo Hall, he was pretty dominant against Dez. Especially considering how much Dez was dominating other teams coming into the game.

I think the receivers are just fine. Garcon is a great talent, it's too bad for my fantasy team that he wasn't able to stay healthy this year and put together a great season. I think Hankerson is an emerging talent and Moss a nice compliment at this point, along with Morgan. I don't see WR as a problem, and don't think they really need to do anything to address it in the offseason. The 'Skins have the luxury now of not having to try to find a QB in the drafts. And that means they can focus on getting players for the lines and the secondary.

Dez had 4 receptions for 75 yards, before going out, they also lost Austin.

Dez had 4 receptions for 75 yards, before going out, they also lost Austin.

71 yards.... and compared to how he was dominating coming in, that's a tremendous effort. If you hold Michael Jordan to 22 points you've probably played a hell of a game. Bryant did play in the 4th quarter, he got hurt very late in the game, and he only had 1 catch after halftime. I think Hall, as Mik said, in man coverage, played very well.

71 yards.... and compared to how he was dominating coming in, that's a tremendous effort. If you hold Michael Jordan to 22 points you've probably played a hell of a game. Bryant did play in the 4th quarter, he got hurt very late in the game, and he only had 1 catch after halftime. I think Hall, as Mik said, in man coverage, played very well.

Your right, with the way Dez was dominating, despite injuries. The Cowboys were the #1 passing offense in the NFL.

It's easy for me to defend the 'Skins this year. It's basically the perfect combination of factors contributing to this.

1) The Giants didn't have it this year. Even if they somehow snuck in, come on. They just didn't have it... they need to re-tool and help the unmotivated players find new jobs next year.

2) RGIII, from training camp on, just hearing him talk, how he goes about his business, and how fun he is to watch. He's such an easy guy to root for. Tremendous young man, I'm a fan of the person as much as the player.

3) The Redskins kept the Cowboys out of the playoffs. There's nothing worse than some blowhard Eagles' fans. But ALMOST as bad are Brokeback fans. Sure, they can laugh at us because we didn't make the dance, but they won't now, because they didn't either. Any team that prematurely ends the Cowboys' season gets at least some short term support from me.

4) They've suffered a long time. The Redskins' fans deserve to have something to feel good about. Some of them even have to live in D.C., and that's bad enough.

5) My best friend is a diehard Redskins' fan, and he's put up with me for all these years, especially the last 2 Super Bowls. And he even made the trip out last year for my Super Bowl party, which was an hour and a half drive for him, and, albeit very tepidly, threw his support behind the Giants. And had to sit and watch while the rest of us diehard Giants' fans celebrated very demonstratively and loudly. Poor guy has earned the right for me to feel good about him being happy his team is doing well.

All that said, there's an expiration date on this shit. If the Redskins win the division next year and Giants don't make the playoffs again... oh, IT'S ON AFTER THAT!

He's already suffered a concussion and torn up knee.........I was comparing him to Fran Tarkenton, who I believe never took a solid shot, or missed a down in his career..........Mike Vick, don't go there, Mike Vick is a sad sad story..........no RG will not wind up like Vick but if he continues to run the option he will be crippled

Thats a valid critique. The option opens up the quarterback to injuries. Once you become a runner all that protecting the quarterback stuff is out the window other than the sliding rule. I think saying he'll end up crippled is pretty overblown though.

I see him running less as his career goes on.

Thanks. I have little doubt that the Giants wont be right up there next year. Cowboys just said they have all the faith in the world with Tony Romo so I dont see them doing much.

Sad year for Andy Reed all around. I think he needs a year to clear his head.

Thanks. I have little doubt that the Giants wont be right up there next year. Cowboys just said they have all the faith in the world with Tony Romo so I dont see them doing much.

Sad year for Andy Reed all around. I think he needs a year to clear his head.

Dallas has the #3 pass offense in the nfl and honestly he's been clutch.

This^...the Shanahans are very good at designing plays to a QB's strengths and hiding or ameliorating his weaknesses. I would love to have either one as an OC or HC for Papa Shanahan whenever Cheerleader hangs it up and he was available.

That's why having a solid defense is paramount. I can't for the life of me imagine living thru another Fewel season... our D might've already caused me ulcer.