SportsWrath

For those looking at the draft already

gmenroc

I was just looking up a few prospects. As I've stated, I think OT, DT, and LB are need areas and I was looking at prospects in those positions that are currently slated in our picking area. So, this could easily change as we move through the combine and workouts and all that stuff.

1st round, 19th overall - I am looking at Jesse Williams, DT out of Alabama or Eric Fisher, OT, out of Central Michigan

Jesse Williams has good size, and watching some youtube video on him, he seems to rarely get pushed off the ball. More often than not, he's at the line of scrimmage or in the opponent's backfield. He does appear to have trouble wrapping up the ballcarrier, that could be a result of shorter arms...I couldn't quite tell.

Eric Fisher, great size for a tackle, looks to have pretty good footwork to get squared up with DEs or get to the second level. Was a left tackle in college. Obviously, if Beatty is re-signed, we could look elsewhere.

2nd round, 51st overall - I am looking at Khaseem Green, OLB out of Rutgers or DJ Fluker, OT out of Alabama.

Khaseem Green, OLB, looks to play primarily on his speed. At 230, he might be about 10-15 lbs light for an NFL LBer. If he could maintain his speed and add some bulk, he'd be a no-brainer at this spot. He is returning from a pretty serious injury which may limit his ability to climb draft boards.

DJ Fluker, OT, is projected as a right tackle only. Assuming a Beatty re-signing, I think Fluker is a easy replacement for Diehl. Fluker has the size to drop into guard if needed and I think that's one of the least recognized, but most important qualities of an offensive linemen...versatility.

3rd round, 83rd overall - I look to Akeem Spence, DT out of Illinois or Sean Porter, OLB out of Texas A&M

Spence might lack a bit of size at 6'1, 305, but he makes up for it in mobility, power, and strength. He's not the pass rusher we Giants fans love for the D-Line, but he's strong against the run, which we have had problems with in recent years. In the 3rd round, I'd be happy getting a solid piece to help stop the run up the middle.

Porter, I really like at this point. At 6'2, 230 lbs...he has good range on the field. He's a tweener, in the same mold we've made Kiwi. He's quick and can slice through pulling/moving linemen to get to the ball carrier. He also has strong coverage skills that could benefit us in a league where athletic TEs are becoming a mainstay. CBSSports has him ranked overall at 78, but in the descriptions has him mentioned as a top 50 prospect. Given his accolades, I'd be okay with us taking him in the 2nd if needed.

I'd be interested in a CB too in the first 3 picks, but I just am having trouble getting confident in any of the guys who'd be in our neighborhood of picks.

How about we get something we havent' had in awhile and go get a impact LB.....trade up and get that kid out of Notre Dame.....be fucking bold for first time since they nutted up and got Eli. .

C. Wagon.

Problem is that this draft is lacking for impact LBers except for the guy you reference and he's expected to go top 5 or so. You know how much it cost to trade up from 4 to 1 to get Eli? Yeah, the cost to get from 19 to 5 would be ridiculous.

Not to mention, 10 years after the fact, you'll still have guys on here debating whether or not the trade was worth it....is that something you really want? Perhaps you're simply looking to extend the life of Sportswrath?

Problem is that this draft is lacking for impact LBers except for the guy you reference and he's expected to go top 5 or so. You know how much it cost to trade up from 4 to 1 to get Eli? Yeah, the cost to get from 19 to 5 would be ridiculous.

Not to mention, 10 years after the fact, you'll still have guys on here debating whether or not the trade was worth it....is that something you really want? Perhaps you're simply looking to extend the life of Sportswrath?

:laugh:

Yeah it's not that deep, I like Ogletree. I think he could be a better pro then Te'o

I was just looking up a few prospects. As I've stated, I think OT, DT, and LB are need areas and I was looking at prospects in those positions that are currently slated in our picking area. So, this could easily change as we move through the combine and workouts and all that stuff.

1st round, 19th overall - I am looking at Jesse Williams, DT out of Alabama or Eric Fisher, OT, out of Central Michigan

Jesse Williams has good size, and watching some youtube video on him, he seems to rarely get pushed off the ball. More often than not, he's at the line of scrimmage or in the opponent's backfield. He does appear to have trouble wrapping up the ballcarrier, that could be a result of shorter arms...I couldn't quite tell.

Eric Fisher, great size for a tackle, looks to have pretty good footwork to get squared up with DEs or get to the second level. Was a left tackle in college. Obviously, if Beatty is re-signed, we could look elsewhere.

2nd round, 51st overall - I am looking at Khaseem Green, OLB out of Rutgers or DJ Fluker, OT out of Alabama.

Khaseem Green, OLB, looks to play primarily on his speed. At 230, he might be about 10-15 lbs light for an NFL LBer. If he could maintain his speed and add some bulk, he'd be a no-brainer at this spot. He is returning from a pretty serious injury which may limit his ability to climb draft boards.

DJ Fluker, OT, is projected as a right tackle only. Assuming a Beatty re-signing, I think Fluker is a easy replacement for Diehl. Fluker has the size to drop into guard if needed and I think that's one of the least recognized, but most important qualities of an offensive linemen...versatility.

3rd round, 83rd overall - I look to Akeem Spence, DT out of Illinois or Sean Porter, OLB out of Texas A&M

Spence might lack a bit of size at 6'1, 305, but he makes up for it in mobility, power, and strength. He's not the pass rusher we Giants fans love for the D-Line, but he's strong against the run, which we have had problems with in recent years. In the 3rd round, I'd be happy getting a solid piece to help stop the run up the middle.

Porter, I really like at this point. At 6'2, 230 lbs...he has good range on the field. He's a tweener, in the same mold we've made Kiwi. He's quick and can slice through pulling/moving linemen to get to the ball carrier. He also has strong coverage skills that could benefit us in a league where athletic TEs are becoming a mainstay. CBSSports has him ranked overall at 78, but in the descriptions has him mentioned as a top 50 prospect. Given his accolades, I'd be okay with us taking him in the 2nd if needed.

I'd be interested in a CB too in the first 3 picks, but I just am having trouble getting confident in any of the guys who'd be in our neighborhood of picks.

I would love to see this kid as a Giant! Yes, he's a little light at 230 but he can flat out PLAY! He's a rocket to the ball. I'll take him in a heartbeat.

I would love to see this kid as a Giant! Yes, he's a little light at 230 but he can flat out PLAY! He's a rocket to the ball. I'll take him in a heartbeat.

My concern is when offensive linemen at the next level do get on him, which they will, because speed alone is not sufficient at linebacker...will Green have the ability to shed the blocker or at least hold ground? At only 230 lbs, I have some reservations, but at 245, I'm liking his chances at shedding some blockers. He has a nose for the ball, that I've seen on highlight reels...and in college, his speed allows him to get there. But in the NFL, he'll need to get rid of a TE or push through linemen coming down field, some of whom are as fast as he is, and not just weave around them, in order to make the play...that's the concern here.

Bigblue25... After a very preliminary analysis of their game reps (not highlight videos!), I don't know how you draw the conclusion that Ogletree will be anything more than a fringe weakside linebacker at this point. He has to hit the weights, but more than that... he does not reveal any intense pursuit at the LOS. I don't see any nastiness or fearlessness to throw himself into the wash to get the ball carrier. He does have speed... and you said he's a converted safety... he plays like it. Te'o plays like he has the linebacker mindset. And his leadership is off the charts... he'd come in and be the leader of the defense early, something this defense needs. No, he doesn't have the speed of Ogletree, but I want a linebacker who hits a guy at the LOS, not necessarily the guy that is chasing guys down from behind. Yeah, you need some speed, but Te'o and Ogletree are not in the same class when it comes to what it takes to play linebacker.

Bigblue25... After a very preliminary analysis of their game reps (not highlight videos!), I don't know how you draw the conclusion that Ogletree will be anything more than a fringe weakside linebacker at this point. He has to hit the weights, but more than that... he does not reveal any intense pursuit at the LOS. I don't see any nastiness or fearlessness to throw himself into the wash to get the ball carrier. He does have speed... and you said he's a converted safety... he plays like it. Te'o plays like he has the linebacker mindset. And his leadership is off the charts... he'd come in and be the leader of the defense early, something this defense needs. No, he doesn't have the speed of Ogletree, but I want a linebacker who hits a guy at the LOS, not necessarily the guy that is chasing guys down from behind. Yeah, you need some speed, but Te'o and Ogletree are not in the same class when it comes to what it takes to play linebacker.

Uh oh, let the battle of the football nerds begin :::mumbles under his breath... infidels :smartass:::

MLB is what we need much more than OLB.

Agreed, because of Alfred Morris, and to a lesser degree, DeMarco Murray. We need a guy who is going to thump Alfred Morris and knock his ass backwards. Now, Bigblue25 is a friggin' guru... and I have only looked at 2 game tapes of Ogletree and 1 of Te'o. So it's probably not real fair for me to eliminate Ogletree thus far, based on the little I've seen. But there is a stark difference between how each of them plays. I think Ogletree would be sporting Al Morris' cleat marks on his chest. Also, we need to see if Jacquian Williams can be the every down linebacker next year at the weakside that he needs to become. Everybody talks about him almost as if he's already made it. He hasn't yet, but the skills are there.

Regarding linebacker, I think we need guys who can play downhill without getting out of position. Holding a block until the RB is next to you is not the kind of guy I want to see.

Meeting the RB as opposed to waiting for the RB to meet you...that's what I think of when I think of a quality LB.

ASJ....for what's it worth, I read Rob Rang's big board yesterday, him and others say the same thing, about Ogletree, that I do. I have heard from UGA fans, who have seen every game he has played, the same things you say, though. To be honest, I am not 100 percent sold him, he does make tackles, sometimes 8 yds downfield, he does get blocked easily even by Rb's, and he doesn't consistently wrap up. He reminds of Burflict coming out last year. His ceiling would be Jered Mayo, his floor would be McClain

Regarding linebacker, I think we need guys who can play downhill without getting out of position. Holding a block until the RB is next to you is not the kind of guy I want to see.

Meeting the RB as opposed to waiting for the RB to meet you...that's what I think of when I think of a quality LB.

I agree 100%.....we need an instinctive player.....speed is great, but not the most important quality in an LB.....I'll take someone who can shed a block and tackle like a truck.....this defense needs a serious "nasty" upgrade.

I think the Eli for Rivers, Merriweather and Kadding trade debate has been over for quite some time G-roc......even the Gallery or Taylor part of it is over. But I see your point.....you will still find a Rocky Thompson defender or two on SW.

C. Wagon

Kevin Minter seems like he'd be available when the Giants are up in the 1st round.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664390

Minter is a physical downhill linebacker, who plays decisive and tough with an attacking play style. He shows little wasted movements and plays with an infectious intensity that his teammates feed off of, earning praise for his attitude on and off the field by the coaching staff. LSU defensive coordinator John Chavis has called Minter the team's top competitor, and, at the end-of-season banquet, Minter was voted by his teammates as the team's most valuable player. While Te'o appears to be the consensus top prospect at his position, it wouldn't be surprising if some teams rank Minter as the better inside linebacker

And like I mentioned, I'd cream my jeans if the Giants snagged Khaseem Greene (OLB) in the 2nd round.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1724998/khaseem-greene

Khaseem Greene had as dominating a two-year run as the Big East has seen in recent memory, leading the league in tackles with 10.45 per game. He's got 5.5 sacks, picked off two passes, and returned a fumble for a touchdown. In seven of the 12 games, he's had 10 or more tackles. And as a redshirt senior, he's one of the key leaders on the squad.

We will pick the best available talent on the board at the time. Doesnt really matter. Even if we pick a need - we wont use him as expected. Wilson for example.

This is one of the few times I question - do the coaches know more than the people who watch the game the way we do. If they dont realise the fuckup thats Gilbride, then well - same goes for the other areas as well....