SportsWrath

Cruz - needs to be paid

UK-Giantsfan

We all love Victor ...he has been a sensation .....and i'm sure that JR and TC are desperate to keep him

He clearly needs ( and deserves ) to get a big contract very soon from the Giants

............but hang on ......how the hell do we afford him !

We are already struggling with the CAP ........we have to pay our other star WR Nicks too very soon ..... and others

Big problem ahead here

How do we keep him

What do you guys think ?

It'll be a delicate situation. Osi's salary will be coming off the books this offseason. There's no way he's coming back with what we still have in Tuck, JPP and some of the younger guys coming up (Tracy, Ojomo) as well as the possibility of dropping Kiwi back down on the line. I'd have to double check how much Osi is getting paid this year, but I imagine it's substantial. I think that splitting his salary to Nicks and Cruz would be sufficient. If either balks at that, let them walk and watch Eli bring the next guy along (Randle).

Not to mention, Cruz will be a RFA this offseason if I'm not mistaken. No doubt we'd make a 1 year tender that'd net us a 1st rounder from any team that'd sign him. On top of that, we'd have the ability to match any offer another team would make.

With a guy like Cruz though, I'd like to see the Giants show some loyalty to the players who've really stepped up when nobody but the Giants were giving them a chance.

Between JPP, Nicks, and Cruz, I think we're only going to be able to keep two out of three. And I think keeping those two will really make it hard for us to keep a quality roster all around. Tough situation, although definitely a good problem to have as opposed to not having the talent in the first place.

-Z

If he's smart, he stays with Eli. Receivers who take the money and then go play with Alex Smith types are soon forgotten.

Yep, Steve Smith can't even find a way to get the ball with the Rams.

I don't see any need to resign Cruz right now...but it definitely should be a priority at the end of the season, when he is a RFA.

Maybe it's just the Giants homer in me but I think Cruz signs a team friendly contract.

From every interview on NFL.com and NFL network Cruz just seems like a really humble kid who just wants to play football and have fun. I think he sticks with the team that has giving him the chance to succeed in the NFL.

Maybe it's just the Giants homer in me but I think Cruz signs a team friendly contract.

From every interview on NFL.com and NFL network Cruz just seems like a really humble kid who just wants to play football and have fun. I think he sticks with the team that has giving him the chance to succeed in the NFL.

2 words:

A Gent.

With Cruz I think the situation is a little different - the Giants were the ones who made Cruz who he is right now - he knows and understands that. I think he'll want to stay with Eli and with the Giants and become an awesome twosome rather than go for the money. He seems like a guy with his head on his shoulders and isnt a money first person. He will get what is worth but not Megatron style money but he doesnt want to be in his position either. He will get a decent contract and stay. JPP also might get the same stuff. Nicks I dunno - he might field mammoth offers etc if someone gives it to him. Id love to see all 3 locked in - Eli has re-structured once - he might again. But I feel Nicks and Cruz might be affordable - JPP might not be. He is just that damn good and Giants draft D-Line.

We all love Victor ...he has been a sensation .....and i'm sure that JR and TC are desperate to keep him

He clearly needs ( and deserves ) to get a big contract very soon from the Giants

We are already struggling with the CAP ........we have to pay our other star WR Nicks too very soon ..... and others

Big problem ahead here

How do we keep him

What do you guys think ?

Reese needs to rip up that contract and dig those T-Rex arms into that wallet before Cruz hits the free market.

The Giants have leverage in that they can offer him a good deal that other teams will need to wait on......if they put a nice deal in front of him, he might take it instead of risking getting injured (see: Steve Smith, Terrell Thomas).

If they wait until free agency, Cruz is gone....he's going to get rockstar money from some team that is desperate for a playmaker. EDIT: he's a restricted free agent, so Giants would have right to match or get picks......but still, they will pay through the nose.

How much would Dan Synder overpay to have Cruz catching passes from RG3????

maybe with nicks' injuries and what will be not amazing season ending numbers he will come cheaper and we'll be able to keep them both

This is what I was thinking also. Nicks is very good but those nagging injuries are going to hurt his potential contract. He hasn't played a full season yet.

i cant even bear to think about that Joe .....a horrendous thought

Agreed.

#1.....Synder would gladly overpay. Not sure how he manages to do it every season, but the fucker throws crazy money at people.

#2.....A rival could throw sick money at Cruz just to push the cap on the Giants.

Big problem ahead here

How do we keep him

What do you guys think ?

If I was a GM this would be one of the easiest decisions to make... we can afford him... we cut others who are far less valuable.. or those with immensely hefty contracts whose contribution doesn't match their salary. Simply put Cruz is a top 5 player on this team... I think he makes Nicks better just in the same way Nicks makes him better... and Cruz makes Eli look great with hardly any drops... When my little nephew was upset at Victor for dropping passes against Dallas I told him not to worry.. Cruz just got it out of his system.. and he's been sensational since.. shit the Giants are very exciting to watch.. there were times when they were dull as a box of rocks... So yes.. Cruz is blue for life.

Between JPP, Nicks, and Cruz, I think we're only going to be able to keep two out of three. And I think keeping those two will really make it hard for us to keep a quality roster all around. Tough situation, although definitely a good problem to have as opposed to not having the talent in the first place.

-Z

I disagree.. I think we get to keep all 3 and Eli of course.. If salary cap becomes an issue... expect some players like Rolle to be cut given his huge contract and the fact we have KP and Stevie Brown (a smaller version of Victor Cruz on the Defensive side of the ball imo)... and/or Eli restructuring and even taking a pay cut of necessary.. Eli is the ultimate team player and I'm sure he'd rather have a winning team to cement his legacy with the Giants and in the NFL... and remember Osi is gone after this season...

I can definitely see that.. he won't demand something huge.. I love his humility.. and he's really having out there and is the talk of the town.

P.S. Sorry for responding 4 times in a row :)

Victor Cruz must make so much money from endorsements that I doubt it really bothers him as much as he and the media are letting on. He's still making over half a million a year as an UDFA, that ain't chump change. There's no reason to give the guy a contract mid-season when we're flush against the cap as it is.

There's two type of contract. One that a player can earn its fullest and the other where it's only garintee money. These contracts now a days don't say much. There's so much crap in there that a player has to earn it. If Cruz is smart. He'll aim to get a contract where he can fulfill.

Remember that big Albert contract?? It was 100million. But he doesn't get all of it. Something in the middle of 50million. It isn't chump change but still. Cruz is playing in a big market. Where he can earn the second half of any contract from endorsements. Especially in the NYC area where the Latin community is big.

Victor Cruz: Giants agreed to 'structure' of new deal

• By Marc Sessler
  • Around the League Writer
  • Published: Oct. 31, 2012 at 10:33 a.m.
  • Updated: Oct. 31, 2012 at 10:48 a.m.

The New York Giants are taking steps to lock down Victor Cruz to a long-term contract.

The electric slot receiver went public this month with his desire for a new deal. On Tuesday, he told WFAN-AM in New York that negotiations continue to progress.

"From what I hear, they've just agreed on the structure right now," Cruz said, via the New York Daily News. "And that's all I'm at liberty to say. ... Hopefully this leads to the right track and we'll get it done sooner than later ... I'm happy so far, so I can just relax and play some football."

Cruz is making just $540,000 this year and becomes a free agent after the season. He leads the Giants in receiving this year after putting up 1,536 yards in 2011. His 52 catches in 2012 put him on pace for another monster campaign, and much of his production has come without Hakeem Nicks on the field.

New York's front office won't allow Cruz to hit the open market. No team does a better job of finding and retaining young talent, and Cruz has become a homegrown sensation in a town that wouldn't take kindly to seeing him play in any other.