SportsWrath

Pro Bowl to get the axe?

Treehugger

Roger Goodell indicates Pro Bowl's future still in doubt

• By Gregg Rosenthal
  • Around The League editor
  • Published: Oct. 22, 2012 at 05:21 p.m.
  • Updated: Oct. 22, 2012 at 06:32 p.m.

The Pro Bowl is on for this season, but NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell indicated Monday that the game's future remains very much in doubt.

Speaking on Sirius XM's "Town Hall with Roger Goodell" on Monday in New York, Goodell indicated he was "leaning" toward eliminating the game before players stepped in last offseason. That isn't a huge shock considering the tenor of Goodell's words after last season's game. He repeatedly said the game wasn't up to NFL standards.

Goodell indicated the game needs to improve or it still could get the axe.

"The players asked if they could take another crack at it to try to work to get the game more competitive," Goodell said. "Obviously, I support that. But if we can't accomplish that kind of standard, I'm inclined not to play it any more."

It remains unclear exactly what steps the players and the NFL will take to try to improve the game in 2013. If the game continues at the lackluster level for another year, it sure sounds like Goodell won't hesitate to kill it altogether.

Good. The game has become an embarrassment.

The NFL is too violent a sport to have an All Star game without making it glorified flag football. I say make an All NFL Team or All-NFC/AFC Teams as a single season honor for the best players and forego the game itself.

I say just have the skill challenges for the weekend.

QB accuracy/long throw.

Have a game of flag football with NFL greats like Joe Montana and Jerry Rice.

Have a fastest/strongest NFL player competition.

Make it really good fan experience, instead of the garbage experience that the Pro-bowl is.

I say just have the skill challenges for the weekend.

QB accuracy/long throw.

Have a game of flag football with NFL greats like Joe Montana and Jerry Rice.

Have a fastest/strongest NFL player competition.

Make it really good fan experience, instead of the garbage experience that the Pro-bowl is.

This.

The NFL is too violent a sport to have an All Star game without making it glorified flag football. I say make an All NFL Team or All-NFC/AFC Teams as a single season honor for the best players and forego the game itself.

So is hockey. The problem is that this is for the players anyway and not the fans. Sometimes you have loss leaders in business and this is one of them. Hockey made it more interesting by going international but unfortunately only the USA cares about the NFL so that's a scratch. Maybe south versus north or east versus west?

Make the Pro-Bowl international. Play the Pro-Bowl in London or some shit - thatll get international fans intererested since theyll see the best players play - and the game will look real interesting. Kind of like making Chelsea play soccer in the US and getting Beckham etc. Instead of the regular season games - I think the Pro-Bowl in London will make a lot more money. Fuck Hawaii

Make the Pro-Bowl international. Play the Pro-Bowl in London or some shit - thatll get international fans intererested since theyll see the best players play - and the game will look real interesting. Kind of like making Chelsea play soccer in the US and getting Beckham etc. Instead of the regular season games - I think the Pro-Bowl in London will make a lot more money. Fuck Hawaii

The problem is that the NFL thinks it's a money game. It should be considered a loss leader and be a paid vacation on the NFL for players that are making the NFL a lot of money. Stupid bean counters never know what true value is. Sending them internationally isn't a bad idea though.