SportsWrath

Run Defense

Nas

You know... a lot of teams have been able to run on us... the Redskins were just the latest. Seems we keep singing the D-Line's praises but something is off here... If this doesn't get fixed, it's gonna bite us in the ass.

I think this weekend was more an aberration than the truth. The Redskins have something working well with their scheme that RG3 is able to pull off very well. The Giants needed to see it to adjust to it.

The first half was far worse than the second I thought, though the second still was concerning.

The Giants D has been a let down so far this year, 26th overall, but at least they are stopping the TDs, 9th in points allowed. As long as points aren't given up all the rest of the stats don't matter.

That's a good point...but the only reason the Giants won was because of turnovers and Victor Cruz.

I think this weekend was more an aberration than the truth. The Redskins have something working well with their scheme that RG3 is able to pull off very well. The Giants needed to see it to adjust to it.

The first half was far worse than the second I thought, though the second still was concerning.

I'm not sure yesterday was an aberration.. more like the 9er game was. The guys up front aren't what they used to be... and the MLB position seems like it's still lacking

I'm not sure yesterday was an aberration.. more like the 9er game was. The guys up front aren't what they used to be... and the MLB position seems like it's still lacking

I think the defense is built to stop the pass; the hope seems to be that Eli can outgun the opposing defense.

Less Osi, more Kiwi would be a good start on the defensive line.

As far as the MLB goes.....I've given up hoping they'll address that position. Blackburn is a smart guy....that's the best we're going to have there for the foreseeable future.

Injuries to the secondary effect all lines of Defense.

Agree here. I think the run defense is just awful because of the secondary.

It's tough to get enough pressure when you're worried about the secondary. That being said, our front 4 has to get in there more.

Agree here. I think the run defense is just awful because of the secondary.

It's tough to get enough pressure when you're worried about the secondary. That being said, our front 4 has to get in there more.

I think it's why the Giants are getting beat on the corners. The safeties aren't up there as much. 26 used to be a big run stopper.

The Redskins have been running on everyone. There's not much you can do to stop RGIII from picking up rushing yardage. He's just going to get his. And Albert Morris has been one of the most consistent backs in the NFL this season. This is a case where I think our defense played well, despite the lofty rushing totals.

Lot of different factors contributed to the Redskins running all over us on sunday. First game with Cris Canty back in the rotation so that changed how everyone else plays on the line. The second factor is the defense faced two players who run the ball very well in RGIII and Alfred Morris. Now watch Morris yesterday was giving me flashbacks of Derrick Ward in 2007. Alfred Morris ran hard, with power, he had blockers up front and ran behind them. RGIII was the speedster that keeps every defense on its heels. RGIII so far is looking like what Michael Vick should have turned into.

Give Canty another week or two and everyone stays healthy, the defense is going to look a whole lot better for the second half of the season.

You know... a lot of teams have been able to run on us... the Redskins were just the latest. Seems we keep singing the D-Line's praises but something is off here... If this doesn't get fixed, it's gonna bite us in the ass.

Several things here.

First and foremost, the Giants let RGIII get into their heads. They were so alert to the possibility of his taking off on a run that they couldn't (or wouldn't) focus on Morris and as we found out, Morris is a fricken monster carrying the ball.

Secondly, the skins have a pretty decent offensive line that pretty much played to a draw with our defensive line. We certainly did not push their line around all day.

Thirdly, we match up fairly well against power running teams with big offensive lines, but not so much against zone running teams with athletic offensive linemen that move and block with the play.

In the end though.....too much focus was put on stopping RGIII and ignoring the rest of the team that could move the ball as well.

Several things here.

First and foremost, the Giants let RGIII get into their heads. They were so alert to the possibility of his taking off on a run that they couldn't (or wouldn't) focus on Morris and as we found out, Morris is a fricken monster carrying the ball.

Secondly, the skins have a pretty decent offensive line that pretty much played to a draw with our defensive line. We certainly did not push their line around all day.

Thirdly, we match up fairly well against power running teams with big offensive lines, but not so much against zone running teams with athletic offensive linemen that move and block with the play.

In the end though.....too much focus was put on stopping RGIII and ignoring the rest of the team that could move the ball as well.

^^this

I think against SFO and the Skins - our whole defense was geared up on getting to the QB because both of them didnt have big name WRs and while we were reasonably able to stop Gore and Co , we under-estimated Morris. We also underestimated their OL. All game our gameplan was to get to the QB - and rape the second rate WRs - but if against a good team we plan accordingly then its diff. Starting next week - we will again fuck up by going after Romo and will let Felix Jones run a bit on us - but Romo has some first rate WRs in Austin and Bryant and Witten. But from there on - I think we can stop the run quite well if we plan accordingly.

The Giants D has been a let down so far this year, 26th overall, but at least they are stopping the TDs, 9th in points allowed. As long as points aren't given up all the rest of the stats don't matter.

I'm pretty sure last year was the same way though until the final 6 games or so. I remember everyone calling for Fewell's head in like week 12.

My take on this game is a little different. I felt like the GIants defense was scheming to permit the 'Skins to move the ball from 20-to-20, just so long as they didn't give up the big play. For example, the Redskins are a run-dominant offense, but I didn't see any aggressive 8 man fronts... so why is that? Maybe because... they didn't care about yardage?

The style of offense the Redskins play right now, they almost need to score from beyond the 20s to get in the endzone. Inside the redzone the field gets too small for all their gimmicky option read shit to work. The Giants knew this and were willing to gamble that their offense could trade touchdowns for field goals and win going away. And if not for Eli giving the 'Skins a couple freebies, thats what would have happened.

That Eli... sometimes I think he just likes to keep the games interesting.

I think the defense is built to stop the pass; the hope seems to be that Eli can outgun the opposing defense.

Less Osi, more Kiwi would be a good start on the defensive line.

As far as the MLB goes.....I've given up hoping they'll address that position. Blackburn is a smart guy....that's the best we're going to have there for the foreseeable future.

Agree here, it's more the LB's then the DLine. Hopefully we draft one in the first this year, Boley is also getting 4.5 Million next year and it's final year under contract, and he will be 31, I think Williams is the future there though, still I would like a OLB and MLB in next years draft.