SportsWrath

Antrel Rolle apology thread

Allstarjim

Few players have fallen under the scrutiny Rolle has in the past couple of years, dogged for his play much of last season when he played out of position, and labeled as a free agent bust for the contract he received.

But Rolle had another big game today, 2 huge INTs. I've never thought Rolle got enough credit for his play, how great of a tackler he is and has been, playing the run, and not allowing big plays. Yeah, he's allowed plenty of catches, but more often than not, Rolle makes the sure tackle and doesn't allow YAC, doesn't allow first downs. And today he added the INTs... which is what many were waiting for when he signed the huge contract to play for Big Blue. Rolle is, and IMO, has been, a very good player for us, and whatever you want to say about the contract, I don't care. The guy always plays hard, and "AT THE END OF THE DAY", he is one of the best players in the NFL at his position. There might be a few better, but there are plenty of teams that would love to have Antrel.

I still think he can't cover worth anything....he's always out of position or at best late to the ball. Made some nice grabs today though that's for sure.

-Z

Agreed. But he shut me up for a while with his performance today. I do still believe he is overrated, the praise heaped on him today during the game by the commentators was a little over the top....we're talking about a dude who consistently will miss his assignment about once a game and more often than not, is outplayed by his counterpart Kenny Phillips. The thing that can be said about him, and the Giants D as a whole, is that they step it up in the red zone and may give up yardage between the 20s but they are forcing more field goals than touchdowns. You rarely see them give up a red zone TD this year and Rolle is a huge part of that, pretty much shutting down team's tight ends and passes over the middle. And you want to talk about teams who've lost by small margins in the games they have lost, the Giants are respectful in that regard as well, being in every game and losing by a total of 9 points in the 2 losses---less than a score per game.

And like Jim said, there really might not be a better run-stuffing safety in the league right now.

I agree with Jim and Zelmo. Although Rolle still has some cover issues, he is playing better and better in each game. And he's playin with a hurt knee. But Amukamara is starting to show those 1st rd pick skills. He almost had 2 picks himself last night. Lovin our secondary right about now. We havent heard Websters name in a couple games, which is usually a good thing.

Stevie Brown has been a solid replacement for Phillips. This team is showing off some serious depth of talent. I'm really loving the look of this team and Reese, Coughlin, Kevin Abrams, Marc Ross, all those guys deserve a ton of credit for putting together a deep roster of talent and the entire coaching staff for developing the talent once they are here.

Rolle had a good game yesterday but he got caught chasing Randy Mossy on that 3 mile completion... My opinion of him hasn't changed.. I'd never thought of him as a bust but never thought he's worth what the organization is paying him. It is what it is.

All I have to say about my criticism of Rolle is this.

Even the Sun shines on a dogs ass some days.

You hear me Rolle. You want my perception to change, do it again, And then Again, And then Again. To make up for all those blown coverages I have seen from you since you got here you nearly worthless pile of shit.

Rolle's flexibility makes him worthwhile. He played in the box as a LB when we had no LBers. He's played CB when we've had few CBs. And when simply left to play S, his natural position, he's played pretty well. Still, his contract will prove a hindrance when it comes to re-sign some bigger pieces to this team (Cruz, Nicks, etc.). I think come the offseason, Rolle will be asked to restructure to make his cap number a little more friendly to the Giants. Whether or not he agrees to it or not would pretty much determine his future with the Giants. He'd get picked up elsewhere, but likely not win another championship.

Better late than never.

Few players have fallen under the scrutiny Rolle has in the past couple of years, dogged for his play much of last season when he played out of position, and labeled as a free agent bust for the contract he received.

But Rolle had another big game today, 2 huge INTs. I've never thought Rolle got enough credit for his play, how great of a tackler he is and has been, playing the run, and not allowing big plays. Yeah, he's allowed plenty of catches, but more often than not, Rolle makes the sure tackle and doesn't allow YAC, doesn't allow first downs. And today he added the INTs... which is what many were waiting for when he signed the huge contract to play for Big Blue. Rolle is, and IMO, has been, a very good player for us, and whatever you want to say about the contract, I don't care. The guy always plays hard, and "AT THE END OF THE DAY", he is one of the best players in the NFL at his position. There might be a few better, but there are plenty of teams that would love to have Antrel.

You know what a big Stevie Brown fan I am.......since Stevie got inserted in the lineup we have thrived

Rolle played very well Sunday too.....I hope both guys continue to thrive

How long you been a Stevie Brown fan? 2 games?? lol