SportsWrath

nicks on track to play

Herc

http://espn.go.com/n...rack-play-49ers

Hakeem Nicks on track to play

By Ohm Youngmisuk

ESPNNewYork.com

SAN FRANCISCO -- New York Giants wide receiver Hakeem Nicks made the team flight to San Francisco and is on track to play in his first game since Sept. 16.

Nicks has missed the last three games with either pain in his surgically repaired foot or swelling in his knee. But his knee made it through two consecutive limited practices and the Saturday walkthrough without any setbacks.

"I would like to see what the coaches are going to say about it in the morning [on Sunday] and what the trainers are going to say, but I think I've got a pretty good shot," Nicks said Friday in a statement released by the team.

Giants Blog

nyg.gif Looking for more information on Big Blue? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog »

Week 5 photos photo.png

"I practiced," Nicks added. "I did the majority of practice -- about four or five reps a period. About what I would normally do on a Friday practice. I did good. I had the coaches watching me, asking how I looked, was I compensating or anything like that. I wasn't. So I looked good. I feel good about it. We'll see how I respond in the morning and they'll let me know."

Nicks still could potentially be a game-time decision and may need to see how his knee feels after the cross-country flight and how it reacts on Sunday morning before the game. But the Giants likely will have their playmaking wideout back.

Nicks, tackle David Diehl (knee) and cornerback Corey Webster (hand/hamstring) were listed as questionable but they all made the trip.

That means Diehl could suit up for the first time since injuring his MCL on Sept. 16 against Tampa Bay. If Diehl is active, it is unclear what his role will be. He was the starting right tackle before his injury. The Giants have started Sean Locklear at right tackle and Will Beatty at left tackle with Diehl sidelined.

The only three Giants who did not make the trip are running back Andre Brown (concussion), defensive tackle Rocky Bernard (quad) and safety Kenny Phillips (knee).

One of Cruz or Nicks will have a big day. San Francisco is a very good team but we're the best offense they've played when you factor in the Packers inability to protect Rodgers. It will be great to have Nicks back out there. I hitched my wagon to just about every team I have with him.

One of Cruz or Nicks will have a big day. San Francisco is a very good team but we're the best offense they've played when you factor in the Packers inability to protect Rodgers. It will be great to have Nicks back out there. I hitched my wagon to just about every team I have with him.

they doubled nicks last year and cruz went off. let's see if they double cruz instead this year

they doubled nicks last year and cruz went off. let's see if they double cruz instead this year

Yeah, you know that's gonna happen. A) Because I'm sitting Nicks, and 2) They'll double Cruz with Nicks' playing on a bum foot/knee.

Good news indeed but I'm not starting him this week.

I am. But it's between him and Ahmad and I like Nicks better this week because we are going to beating the 9ers this week through the air...