SportsWrath

The best running back v. San Fran?

JMFP

I honestly think it's David Wilson.

Not to take anything away from Bradshaw, but the 49ers have better speed than the Browns.

Also, D'Qwell Jackson went down the 2nd quarter.....he's been a beast for the Browns. When he left the game, the rout was on.

Against that 49er defense, I don't know if Bradshaw is going to have the speed that is needed. And I don't know if Brown will be 100%.

The O-line did great yesterday.....but when Wilson had a huge hole, it went for a 40 yard TD.

At the very least, if all 3 backs are healthy, it might be wise to rotate them all in and see which is the most effective.

Gawd dammit Joe, I was just thinking of posting something like this.

Bradshaw and Brown arnt going to be able to get those running lanes that they had against Carolina and Cleveland. San Fran is ranked top 5 in the league in almost all defensive categories and it's going to be tough trying to let Bradshaw and Brown just run up the middle or even trying to hit the edge.

I think Wilson may be the answer as well, use a back that has the ability to outrun the defenders on the edge and use his speed to get around guys like Patrick Willis.

Of course the means placing an very important game in the hands of a rookie but Wilson may very well be the player that tips the scales in the Giants favor.

The Giants are going to need Nicks back for this game and a solid performance out of very single position on the field if there is going to be any chance of beating the 49'ers.

Going to be a slugfest.

Gawd dammit Joe, I was just thinking of posting something like this.

Bradshaw and Brown arnt going to be able to get those running lanes that they had against Carolina and Cleveland. San Fran is ranked top 5 in the league in almost all defensive categories and it's going to be tough trying to let Bradshaw and Brown just run up the middle or even trying to hit the edge.

I think Wilson may be the answer as well, use a back that has the ability to outrun the defenders on the edge and use his speed to get around guys like Patrick Willis.

Of course the means placing an very important game in the hands of a rookie but Wilson may very well be the player that tips the scales in the Giants favor.

The Giants are going to need Nicks back for this game and a solid performance out of very single position on the field if there is going to be any chance of beating the 49'ers.

Going to be a slugfest.

I'm guessing Coughlin/Gilbride aren't going to trust Wilson against a rugged, ball-hawking defense like the 49ers.

I'm done bash Bradshaw....obviously he has more in the tank than I expected. But yeah, I agree, Wilson's speed might be what's required.....could be a split second between a nice gain and no gain, depending on the back and the play.

If the Giants had Adrian Peterson, it would be a different story.

Peterson had 86 yards on 25 carries. even joe morris can do that. (he wasn't fast)

The Vikings won by limiting the 9er running game and putting he game in the tiny hands of alex smith.

And causing turnovers..

It's much too simple to say we need a fast RB because their LB's are fast. Sometimes the best thing to do is run right at them.

Peterson had 86 yards on 25 carries. even joe morris can do that. (he wasn't fast)

The Vikings won by limiting the 9er running game and putting he game in the tiny hands of alex smith.

And causing turnovers..

It's much too simple to say we need a fast RB because their LB's are fast. Sometimes the best thing to do is run right at them.

Absolutely. Speed kills in pursuit. Bradshaw will be the main back.

And causing turnovers..

If you ever disparage Joe Morris like that again I'm leaving and not coming back.

Bradshaw proved he's still relevant.. havn't said that.. I think his body won't be as fresh against the 9ers. Not sure Wilson is ready for full time duties and since Brown is out or at least not 100%, it's AB then Wilson.

It doesn't matter, nobody runs on that Niner D.

This has 2009 Saints game written all over it. Hate to say it, but were gonna get killed.

We haven't played particularly well so far but our exploits in the Superdome is an entirely different animal. Even Aaron Brooks put up 40 on us down there.

I really would have a pass/run ratio of something like 75/25 against the 49ers. You can't run on them. They need to just run enough to keep them honest. The only way to beat this team is to challenge them vertically. Eli is going to need to take a lot of shots downfield, get chunk yardage, and try to get them in a hole early.

But I suspect that Seph is right. That team is very hungry. I expect the 49ers to put a beating on us.

I really would have a pass/run ratio of something like 75/25 against the 49ers. You can't run on them. They need to just run enough to keep them honest. The only way to beat this team is to challenge them vertically. Eli is going to need to take a lot of shots downfield, get chunk yardage, and try to get them in a hole early.

But I suspect that Seph is right. That team is very hungry. I expect the 49ers to put a beating on us.

Fuck the 9ers... I'm going into this game expecting a win.

Yeah, fundamentals are going to be key. Obviously the team has to play well but keeping penalties to a minimum and winning the field position battle will be very important. No turnovers either. One turnover can lose a game like this.

Joe Morris vs San Fran in the playoffs.

Year Date Tm Opp Result Att Yds Y/A TD Rec Yds Y/R TD

1985 1985-12-29 NYG SFO W 17-3 28 141 5.04 0 1 5 5.00 0

1986 1987-01-04 NYG SFO W 49-3 24 159 6.63 2 1 2 2.00 0

:cool:

Joe Morris could still run for 100+ yards against the 49ers.

His low center of gravity was the key.....and remains relevant today.