SportsWrath

My strategy for turning this team around for SB #5

BleedinBlue

We have a great foundation to build on, but like every year....there's a glaring weakness. Special teams the last few years, linebackers the last few years.....now our O-line and deep backs.

Regardless......a few simple things that I believe would make this team dangerous.

1) Let Eli call the game as he sees fit - he's smarter than Gilbride and can read defensive schemes on the fly like no other QB in the game right now.

2) Go often with the "no huddle" offense. Everytime we do that, we move the ball far. If Eli was calling the game, it would be easy to go down the field when the opposing players haven't had a chance to get their shit together.

3) Rotate DE's more often and get the younger guys who are hungry more chances while keeping the older guys fresh (and maybe worried for their job if they don't perform....ya know what I mean Osi?)

4) Hand the ball running job over to Brown until he proves he can't carry the load.

5) Give Wilson more opportunities to move the ball.

6) Continue to use Hynoski to carry the ball for needed short yardage.....the guy is a freaking bulldozer who will go forward 2-3 yds even without a hole

7) Bench a player for the rest of the game for a stupid penalties that erases long pass completions or kick returns

In short: Let Eli run the game and get the younger, fresher, hungrier guys get in the game more!

rotate what Def end?

Tolleffson took off, and Ojomo has the worlds longest lasting Hammy.......I do not think we would be starting OSI the STUPID if we had someone else

OSI its Mike Vick......make sure you take the inside route every play you Fnnnn Idiot!!!

We have a great foundation to build on, but like every year....there's a glaring weakness. Special teams the last few years, linebackers the last few years.....now our O-line and deep backs.

Regardless......a few simple things that I believe would make this team dangerous.

1) Let Eli call the game as he sees fit - he's smarter than Gilbride and can read defensive schemes on the fly like no other QB in the game right now.

2) Go often with the "no huddle" offense. Everytime we do that, we move the ball far. If Eli was calling the game, it would be easy to go down the field when the opposing players haven't had a chance to get their shit together.

3) Rotate DE's more often and get the younger guys who are hungry more chances while keeping the older guys fresh (and maybe worried for their job if they don't perform....ya know what I mean Osi?)

4) Hand the ball running job over to Brown until he proves he can't carry the load.

5) Give Wilson more opportunities to move the ball.

6) Continue to use Hynoski to carry the ball for needed short yardage.....the guy is a freaking bulldozer who will go forward 2-3 yds even without a hole

7) Bench a player for the rest of the game for a stupid penalties that erases long pass completions or kick returns

In short: Let Eli run the game and get the younger, fresher, hungrier guys get in the game more!

Some good ideas......especially #2 through #5.

I don't know if #7 would be workable....especially on the offensive line. I think some of the role players could be benched though (i.e., special teamers).

For one, I think we have a better offensive line this year than we did last year. Beatty is coming on strong. Locklear isn't perfect, but he's doing a better job than Diehl was. The interior is still pretty solid.

What this team needs is health. Something outside of our control. Outside of Eli, Hakeem Nicks is probably the most crucial asset to our team. He strikes fear into the defense. Victor Cruz is a better receiver when Nicks is on the field. The middle of the field is more exploitable for Bennett. We need Nicks back and healthy. Barden had a nice game against Carolina, but he is an inadequate replacement for Nicks. Same for Hixon, although he is a better receiver and more polished than Barden, particularly when you see him run short and intermediate routes. But neither of them can replicate what Nicks does on the football field.

Hosley is another key player. He is so quick and has proven himself early. He is a key CB to our defense, who can blanket the slot receiver and has plus catch-up speed. He's tough as nails as well, and he would've performed better, IMO against Desean Jackson than Webster did. Not a slight to Webster, but Hosley has the speed and quickness to shadow Jackson.

Chris Canty is another one. He was big down the stretch and in the playoffs for us. We are missing his presence, especially in the latter part of the game... as you see, McCoy got almost all of his yards in the second half.

Rivers is another player we need back. You could see with his speed how he was a big asset to the defense early on. He needs to get back on the field. If we had Rivers on the field with Boley in that Eagles game, I don't think McCoy runs for 120+ yards.

I agree that Wilson needs to get the ball more in the offense. However, he's a rook and Coughlin isn't going to have him out there for stuff he's not ready for. He has to be able to block, and he has to know the entire playbook and his responsibilities very, very well. We don't know where he is in that process. And whenever he has gotten opportunities to play in the offense, he's made mistakes. Besides the fumbles, he's dropped two very catchable balls, and they've only thrown to him 4 times, and he has 1 catch for 3 yards (not sure about the 3rd incomplete pass, that could've been a drop as well, I don't remember). He's carried the ball 6 times for 8 yards with a long of 4. I still think he's going to be a phenomenal player for us, and he's been a tremendous asset in the return game, but he has to make something happen and earn more reps.

The cure to our ills are the guys in the training room right now. We get our full complement of players back, both sides of the ball are going to be a lot better.

The cure to our ills are the guys in the training room right now. We get our full complement of players back, both sides of the ball are going to be a lot better.

this is true. last year, we were our healthiest for the stretch run and the playoffs. I would keep nicks out another week or more if there's a question.