SportsWrath

NFL and Refs agree

Dragon

It's funny that people think it was just about some blown call on a random play.

Yeah, there was a lot more to it. It was clear all preseason and throughout the first three weeks of this season that these officials were an embarrassment to the game. The Tate TD was just the culmination of nearly 2 months of a toll being taken on the integrity of the NFL.

6 figures for a part-time gig and a pension? The owners weren't proposing anything radical. They are still getting benefits for a part-time job that most of middle class workers could only dream of.

How does paying them less "improve the game" though? The owners are doing this for purely finacial reasons.

How does paying them less "improve the game" though? The owners are doing this for purely finacial reasons.

Well, part of it was for improving the game. The expansion of the "bench" officials, training, and ability to downgrade officials... having that bigger bench for officials to be able to step in for officials that were grading poorly, was something that the NFLRA was against.

Certainly I agree with you that a major part of the negotiations were about financial reform of compensation. But I also think they wanted to have a broader base of officials to improve the overall quality of officiating, and that was also part of the stand-off.

I love how the NFL come out and said everything they were doing was for the betterment of the game, when all they were really trying to do is force the Refs onto a cheaper pension plan. Assholes.

That's not all it was. In addition to keeping the pension, the NFLRA was trying to block additional and full time refs.

in the long run, this is better for the game.

It's funny that people think it was just about some blown call on a random play.

Yeah, there was a lot more to it. It was clear all preseason and throughout the first three weeks of this season that these officials were an embarrassment to the game. The Tate TD was just the culmination of nearly 2 months of a toll being taken on the integrity of the NFL.

Agreed. These guys weren't qualified to officiate an NFL game.

That Seattle/GB game was the most glaring example, and obviously was a game-decider. But looking at replays of the play, the officials were totally out of position to handle that call. It's the end of the game, it's a Hail Mary, and everyone is flooding the left corner of the endzone.......and there isn't a single referee in that area.

I know offensive pass interference is rarely called, but that was more than jostling.....Tate literally shoved the guy so hard he not only fell down by knocked another defender out of position. That would have drawn a flag, and then game over, right there.

And even if that penalty were not called, regular officials would have huddled together to check amongst themselves as to who had the best view of the play before calling INT or TD.

And finally, the replay should have overturned it....unless I'm wrong, any play in the end zone is reviewable....it's different than a non-scoring play. Technically, you can't call a penalty via replay.....but a veteran ref would have seen the offensive pass interference, and the clear INT, and would have reversed the call.

Going forward, they should be hiring ex-NFL players to be trained as referees.

Look at the NHL.....those fuckers can skate, hop the boards, etc.

Same thing should go for the referees... I'm not expecting refs to run a 4.4, but they should be able to run along with the plays, and have the ability to avoid contact with players.

Haha, did you also see the official that threw his hat in Ogletree's path in the Dallas game, and Ogle tree stepped on it and slipped, causing him to not be able to come out of his break for the pass, resulting in an incompletion?

There were so many examples of incompetence, they all just run together. There was a 15 yard penalty on the defense that was supposed to be enforced from the offense's own 44 yard line (the LOS), but was instead enforced from the defense's 44 yard line... a mistake that is just incomprehensible.

Going forward, they should be hiring ex-NFL players to be trained as referees.

Look at the NHL.....those fuckers can skate, hop the boards, etc.

Same thing should go for the referees... I'm not expecting refs to run a 4.4, but they should be able to run along with the plays, and have the ability to avoid contact with players.

An NFL player won't want to be a ref unless he's hard up for money. And that makes him susceptible to the gamblers.

I think the formula they have now works, with lawyers and other professionals who are continuously vetted and rated.

6 figures for a part-time gig and a pension? The owners weren't proposing anything radical. They are still getting benefits for a part-time job that most of middle class workers could only dream of.

I've held back from saying this same thing in the fear everyone would disagree...but you are absolutely right. Why NFL officials should receive a pension is fucking beyond me, but whatever, they ARE better than the replacements.