SportsWrath

Real Refs could be back on Sunday - Deal on the table

BleedinBlue

A deal is imminent and is all because of the botched call on Monday Night handing an undeserving Seattle team a win.

From ESPN:

The NFL and the NFL Referees Association made enough progress in negotiations Tuesday night that the possibility of the locked-out officials returning in time to work this week's games has been discussed, according to sources on both sides.

An agreement in principle is at hand, according to one source familiar to talks, although NFL owners have postured with a "no more compromise" stance.

Although league sources said it would take a week to get the locked-out officials on the field, the NFLRA says its 121 referees have been trained on the new rules implemented last season, have already passed physicals or are prepared to pass physicals immediately. New official game uniforms designed by Nike are "hardly an obstacle," according to a source.

Both sides have made concessions on previous sticking points such as a taxi squad of 21 new officials and pension plans that sources say the final meaningful hurdle is, as one source said, "about a little more money."

While league sources say owners who participated in a conference call with commissioner Roger Goodell during Tuesday's talks had instructed the negotiating team to set a firm barrier for the financial settlement, the NFLRA is prepared to accept a new agreement primarily in the form of a "ratification bonus," which would compensate its 121-member union for concessions it is willing to make.

The NFLRA and the league have all but agreed on developing a 21-member "taxi squad" that Goodell has pushed, but not at the financial cost of the union members.

The NFLRA, citing that it once utilized the now-defunct NFL Europe as a training ground of prospective officials, is willing to train 21 officials from the major college ranks by including them in offseason seminars as well as incorporate them in training camp work.

The NFLRA would not unionize those officials and would want them compensated by the league if "they are brought up from the minors" to work a regular-season game.

Goodell has wanted the power to "bench" officials who underperform or are downgraded during the season. The NFLRA contends the league already has that ability because there are always between one and four crews that sit home each week and would be more qualified to substitute in such a scenario.

The NFLRA also wants to form an "expert committee" that would be major contributors to the league's stated goal to improve officiating. Under this proposal, the committee would be comprised of some of the top retired officials and supervisors of major college conferences who had served as NFL officials

I like the present officials..........no big fan of the Hochulie's......those were the Dumbo's who called Ballard's knee out BTW

John Madden just agreed with me on Sirrius that the last play of the Seattle game was the correct call as therir was no visual evidence to overturn it no one can see where Tate's hands were

"Holding the ball to your chest is not an NFL requirement" Its about the hands........We could not see Tate's hands on the film.

Not so fast!

As if on cue, the brake-pumping has begun.

With the first wave of reports that a deal between the NFL and locked-out officials was close, next comes the wave of reports saying “Not so fast.”

Sports Illustrated’s Peter King just tweeted: “NFLRA negotiator Scott Green has notified officials that a deal is not imminent.”

That dovetails with the NFL Network’s Albert Breer’s report this morning, which acknowledged progress but noted substantial differences on the pension issue.

Perhaps the truest words of the last hour were uttered by NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith, who also took to Twitter.

Having done this before, everyone needs to wait until the ink is dry.”

Again, all signs point toward this thing being finished, and perhaps soon. Our long, national nightmare is almost over.

But as we approach the finish line, the urge to mark territory runs strong in the media, and sometimes needs to be curbed.

Press is putting the cart before the horse. Let's wait until we have a story so as not to create one ourselves....mmkay?

Even if a deal was done today, I'd have to believe that the real officials would start in a week, with the Thursday night game, October 4th.

I don't see how you could have replacements THIS Thursday the 27th and real refs on the 30th. To me, that'd be disrupting the competitive balance for the two Thursday night teams.

Not so fast!

As if on cue, the brake-pumping has begun.

With the first wave of reports that a deal between the NFL and locked-out officials was close, next comes the wave of reports saying “Not so fast.”

Sports Illustrated’s Peter King just tweeted: “NFLRA negotiator Scott Green has notified officials that a deal is not imminent.”

That dovetails with the NFL Network’s Albert Breer’s report this morning, which acknowledged progress but noted substantial differences on the pension issue.

Perhaps the truest words of the last hour were uttered by NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith, who also took to Twitter.

Having done this before, everyone needs to wait until the ink is dry.”

Again, all signs point toward this thing being finished, and perhaps soon. Our long, national nightmare is almost over.

But as we approach the finish line, the urge to mark territory runs strong in the media, and sometimes needs to be curbed.

If I'm not mistaken, the compensation the referees are asking for is something like $100,000 per team.

I can't believe owners would shit on the NFL brand and jeopardize their team's playoff chances over $100,000......some of them probably pay more for hookers in a single year.

I wouldn't say that the Seahawks were undeserving. They just as easily could have been up by two scores if not for a bogus call (PI, I believe).

Still, the end of that game was a travesty and it should be that glaring light illuminating the need for bringing back the official officials....at least the games would return to having some semblance of order, consistency (at least, more consistent than what we have now), control, and timeliness. No more conferring for 10 minutes after every difficult decision.

I wouldn't say that the Seahawks were undeserving. They just as easily could have been up by two scores if not for a bogus call (PI, I believe).

Still, the end of that game was a travesty and it should be that glaring light illuminating the need for bringing back the official officials....at least the games would return to having some semblance of order, consistency (at least, more consistent than what we have now), control, and timeliness. No more conferring for 10 minutes after every difficult decision.

John Madden disagrees with you........I'm siding with John......If this had happened with the "regular officials" it would long be forgotten

Define simultaneous possession and show the evidence Tate did not go the ground holding it with both hands?........there is none

If you give GB the Ballard out of bounds, you have to give these refs their opinion too

John Madden disagrees with you........I'm siding with John......If this had happened with the "regular officials" it would long be forgotten

Define simultaneous possession and show the evidence Tate did not go the ground holding it with both hands?........there is none

If you give GB the Ballard out of bounds, you have to give these refs their opinion too

Yeah, and I'm sure you'd agree with him that "when a receiver catches the ball over the goalline---that's a touchdown". Not the best fucking example, ya troll. The last person I would turn to for football analysis is John Madden. You talk about old guys who the game has just clearly passed by (you refer to Coughlin) well, my friend, that is John Madden. The dude couldn't even tell you who coaches the Seahawks or who their QB is, I would bet. But he could sure as hell tell you that the team with the most points at the end of the game, typically wins. Oh, and I would bet that John Madden was fast asleep, long, long before that play even occurred---he's like 90 and it was like 12:30 AM because the refs can't keep the game moving and punctual.

Literally 100 million out of 100,000,001 fans and analysts (and this is an understatement) are appalled by the rookie-like approach (because that's what they all are, none of them are familiar with NFL rules, none of them have ever reffed an NFL game, most of them are castoffs from some other crappy football league or low level college ball) that shows in the fact that half of the penalties they call, aren't the correct call. The rest they either blatantly ignore, don't know that it is in fact penalty, or they wait for a receiver, lineman, or coach to throw a tantrum and look for a flag before throwing one. Then, you got another ref that, only God knows why, decides to toss his cap (yes, his cap, not a flag) right into the path of a Dallas receiver, literally eliminating any possibility for a touchdown and almost blowing out the dude's knee. I could go on and on and on because I've actually read just about every article on NFL stating the exact opposite of your opinion...but ya know what, I've spent enough time on this....go with John Madden, not with the hours upon hours of video evidence (How do you call that Ravens field goal good? How do you mix up 40 yard lines and proceed to mark off like 40 yards on a 15 yard penalty in the Redskins game?)

You literally have absolutely no idea what the fuck you're talking about. Shut the fuck up and post in your own section.

Yeah when the entire sports nation is calling for the regular refs to come back you know you have a galring problem with the scabs.

Last night was just the breaking point when it's clear to everyone that Tate didnt even touch the ball until both him and Jennings were on the ground fighting for it.

Not to mention the confusion between the refs, one ruling touch back the other ruling a TD, these scabs are just making the NFL a joke.

It shoulndt have gotten to that point in the game, Seattle should of won this game with how they played GB but in my opinion but for it to come down to the scab refs making the wrong call and giving the win regardless to whichever team, it's just a joke.

And PS, what in the fuck did anything you posted have to do with anything of what I posted? It wouldn't have been called that way on the field had the regular officials been there:

1. Because they know and are well aware of the rules, especially PI which should have ended the game right there and then.

2. Because neither one of them would have signaled a touchdown OR touchback THAT fast. They would have conferred.

3. Because the official completely out of position would not have run across the field from out of nowhere to make that call.

4. Official NFL officials are aware of the fact that as soon as that ball came into MD Jennings hands---just like if it had actually landed in Tate's hands----the play was over and it was a touchback. The ball is dead as soon as someone demonstrates possession in the end zone, they somehow determined that it was Tate who had possession and gave HIM the dead ball possession

Last night was just the breaking point when it's clear to everyone that Tate didnt even touch the ball until both him and Jennings were on the ground fighting for it.

He did stick his hand in while they were in the air. Jennings should have just knocked it away.

Anyway the biggest problem is flow. The games are taking way too long now. That hat trip on Ogletree was weird. Maybe he was betting on the game.

Tate-Jennings-catch-first-frame.jpg

Hey Storm........you need a nap.

Its only a game man.........we got screwed last year in the GB game with our playoff hopes hanging by a string and there was no national crisis called for

GB had it coming.......I have no sorrow for that pompous crew

LOL

Not managing to grasp the significance of the fact that this isn't just one single instance or one grievous occurrence (an occurrence that, to my knowledge, has never, ever happened in the history of the NFL previously)---it's every game since the ref lockout and there has been NO improvement---FILLS me with SORROW and pity for you.

It either makes you:

1. A troll

2. A "football fan" who literally watches 10 minutes of the Giants game and not a single minute of any other game.

or, and I think this is most likely, 3, You just have absolutely no clue about anything.

You see no effect in the game. You are a complete idiot. TWO GAMES, THAT I KNOW OF OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD, ENDED WITH THE INCORRECT TEAM WINNING.

THIS IS SOMETHING THAT SERIOUSLY EFFECTS PLAYOFF SEEDING AND WHETHER OR NOT A TEAM GETS THERE OR NOT.

GIVE ME A FUCKING BREAK, IT HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH HOW JACKSTROUD FEELS ABOUT THE TEAM THAT GOT HOSED.

Can you define simultaneous possision for me when the ball is in the air.........if you can you will be the 1st to do so on the planet earth

alsop why do you care about the Packers getting shafted, if indeed they were?

No because that is irrelevant to the issue at hand. Completely. You troll. Shut the fuck up.

NFL not ruling out regular refs' return by Thursday night

• By Albert Breer
  • Reporter, NFL.com and NFL Network
  • Published: Sept. 26, 2012 at 09:24 a.m.
  • Updated: Sept. 26, 2012 at 04:03 p.m.

The NFL hasn't shut the door on having locked-out officials back on the field for Thursday night's prime-time game between the Cleveland Browns and Baltimore Ravens, according to a source involved with the league's plans and, as first reported by SI.com's Peter King, based on the officials' own preparation work.

There's also a competitive issue at play. The NFL is aware that employing replacement officials for the Browns-Ravens game and then having regular officials on the field for the other 14 games in Week 4 would create inequity.

The Pittsburgh Steelers and Indianapolis Colts also have byes this week. This creates another motivator to get a deal done now in order to avoid some teams from playing more games under the replacement officials than others.

This development follows the news Wednesday morning that the NFL and NFL Referees Association, who have been meeting since 10 a.m. ET, agreed to create a developmental program. It's a compromise to the league's demand for the addition of 21 officials to the current contingent of 121 NFLRA members, per an NFLRA source. The pool of money for the existing officials also will remain the same.

During Tuesday's talks, league owners, who have shown no inclination to budge on the referees' benefits issues, became involved on a more-detailed level in the negotiations, per an NFL source. The federal mediator is said to have kept things on track.

The developmental officials will be mentored by the existing crews and will be assigned to work with them during the week. The developmental officials will not be NFLRA members, will not work games and will not be eligible to be subbed in initially.

But eventually, as development officials improve and reach the standards to be NFL officials, they will be considered for NFLRA membership. As that happens, the financial pool for officials will be adjusted accordingly.

Sources from both sides of the negotiations said the parties agreed it was important for there to be more qualified officials available to the league, particularly for cases during which other officials cannot work due to circumstances outside of football (i.e. personal reasons or injury).

The issue of retirement plans for referees still has yet to be solved. The NFL also involved benefits experts in Tuesday's talks, per a league source. An NFLRA source said the referees came further off their position Tuesday.

Previously, where owners were looking for all officials to go to a 401(k), the NFLRA offered to have all new officials on a 401(k) and existing NFLRA members grandfathered in under the old pension.

The NFLRA on Tuesday offered a shorter-term grandfathering, but the owners declined, according to an NFLRA source.

The owners are dug in, reluctant to make any further compromise, according to a league source.

In exchange for the shorter-term grandfathering, the officials also sought a "ratification bonus" to make up for the money lost this season and to ensure the owners wouldn't profit from the lockout.

He did stick his hand in while they were in the air. Jennings should have just knocked it away.

Anyway the biggest problem is flow. The games are taking way too long now. That hat trip on Ogletree was weird. Maybe he was betting on the game.

Tate-Jennings-catch-first-frame.jpg

Thank you immensely

This is the first picture that actually shows the simultaneous possession- which goes to the offense

Fantastic........it re-affirms the Refs got it right and the replay official (a league employee) got it right also

I'm elated that all these fishwives (on these boards) and in the media were correctly proved to be full of it.

Thank you immensely

This is the first picture that actually shows the simultaneous possession- which goes to the offense

Fantastic........it re-affirms the Refs got it right and the replay official (a league employee) got it right also

I'm elated that all these fishwives (on these boards) and in the media were correctly proved to be full of it.

hOrH7.jpg

refss.gif

Jennings catches the ball clearly with both hands, Tates hand (notice one hand) touches the ball.

Jennings goes to the ground with the ball in his chest, Tate doesnt even have his hands on his ball at that point.

Agreed. His other hand at most is holding Jennings hand which both are clearly on the ball pulling it into his chest.

Sorry Superman........did not realize you had xRay vision and could see through Jennings/ leg.......amazing

Can you know rush to your front lawn and tear open your shirt- strike the Superman pose please

Both Players had both hands on the ball.........the call was correct.......and reviewed

there is now provision in the NFL for any chest contact with the ball.....its irrelevent, the rules only pertain to hands