SportsWrath

Giants - Panthers Thursday Nights Game

BleedinBlue

Two things that helped Brown and Barden and the whole team:

1) We haven't had a running game in a long time and by having a back that can throw up a hundred yards and punish tacklers changes the whole offensive game for the Giants

2) Carolina was so focused on Cruz, that it gave Barden and Bennett the opportunity of a lifetime. After last night's game, I doubt very much that an opponent will take Barden lightly - everyone will have seen the tapes

Barden was also playing on a rookie all night.

Barden was also playing on a rookie all night.

That's true. But Barden put on some good moves that I've not seen him make before except in preseason against the Bears where he faked Charles Tillman (pro bowler last year) right out of his shoes with a shoulder fake and reverse cut for a TD. In fact, he had Tillman off balance all night. I was thinking then that he had matured greatly and had learned it takes more than height to be a reciever in the NFL.

I also think there is such a low expectation of him from our opponents that he surprises. But a couple more games like last night and no one is going to be surprised. Carolina put everything they had on Cruz and had little or no expectations out of a ground game or the big WR that's been a disappointment.

That's true. But Barden put on some good moves that I've not seen him make before except in preseason against the Bears where he faked Charles Tillman (pro bowler last year) right out of his shoes with a shoulder fake and reverse cut for a TD. In fact, he had Tillman off balance all night. I was thinking then that he had matured greatly and had learned it takes more than height to be a reciever in the NFL.

I also think there is such a low expectation of him from our opponents that he surprises. But a couple more games like last night and no one is going to be surprised. Carolina put everything they had on Cruz and had little or no expectations out of a ground game or the big WR that's been a disappointment.

Their whole team looked unprepared to play Thursday night.

Their whole team looked unprepared to play Thursday night.

I agree, but I also believe they (the head coach and defensive coach) assumed 1) the Giants have no running game, especially with Bradshaw out, so focus on the air game.....and 2) with their best receiver out, they needed to shut down Cruz. I think they also underestimated our offensive line - which I can't blame them because so did I. I'm still scratching my head over that surprise.

There whole debacle of a game can be summed up with coaching failure.....whether getting them up for the game, or completely whiffing on game strategy. They are too good of a team to simply chalk it up to "being off". They completely misread what the Giants were capable of and what they were up to and it's the coach's job to figure that out and prepare them for it. One thing for certain, TC and his staff were well prepared and had a perfect strategy for exposing the Panther's weaknesses.