SportsWrath

Things to take away from the game...and viewpoints

Storm

Don't see the big deal about the statement I made. I'm not complaining about the call, not saying we lost because of it... I'm saying that we only lost by 7 points when it comes down to it and there was opportunity to win that game... it's not like we were blown out, and Dallas is a good team. We lost the opener to the Redskins last year, I'm not worried about it. All these "issues" you are talking about... we had worse issues last year and in 2007... lost by 10 in the opener to the Cowboys and they ran up 45 points on us. The next game we were blown out by the Packers 35-13. Everybody wanted Spagnuolo run out of town after those two games... as I recall that season ended triumphantly.

My point is, there is no real cause for concern here. We were down to our last CB on the depth chart, of course we couldn't stop the pass. The Giants really got going last year when we got guys healthy on the defense and brought Chase Blackburn back in during the second half. It may end up being the same way again... Prince Amukamara should be starting opposite Webster if not next week, by week 3, and Coe is already saying he could play next week. We have Marvin Austin who is an x-factor on the defensive line, who might play week 2. Our starting LT should be ready for next week. And we still have Chris Canty that will be coming off of PUP midseason and will step right in as the starter at DT alongside Linval with fresh legs for the second half. And I doubt Cruz is going to drop 4 passes in a game again. Overall, this team right now, defensively, is miles ahead from where they were this time last year. A lot of the Cowboys' yards came off of a couple of big plays that can be eliminated, and by throwing at Justin Tryon.

To a degree, a game like this should've been somewhat expected. And I like how they competed, drove down the field in the final 5 minutes and got a TD. And yeah, I do think that the Cowboys got away with a lot but that's ok, we got away with some as well.

But don't be fooled into thinking this team is going to fold, or that this team is going to be cellar dwellars. The Giants will bounce back, and they are going to be tough to beat.

To be clear, I wasn't singling you out Jim. Between this board and the others I frequent i've heard a lot of complaining about the bad calls in this game. In my opinion, it wasn't that bad. Sure it was a bad call, but had the points been put on the board by the offense it wouldn't be an issue. The problem is not the refs, or the fact that the game was played on a Wednesday (possibly the most ludicris claim I've heard to date). The problem was on the field. I believe TC even said "It's like we never saw a slant before." I think another problem was preparation. But again... Just one man's opinion.

No you're right, and I agree with you. The call hurt us, it was not the reason we lost. I understand what you're saying with respect to reading stuff from a bunch of whiners. I've been guilty in the past of attacking a single poster because he joined in a cacophony of stupidity. I took out my irritation at everyone saying the same stupid thing... on just the one guy. So now I try not to lump anyone in with a perceived group when I reply to them. So when it's done to me... I'll point it out... but I'm not speaking from any moral high ground, I've been guilty of this in the past.

I haven't re-watched the game and don't know if I'm going to. One of the things that I've been hearing a lot is the Cowboys were holding an awful lot. I did see the Giants get away with some holds, too. But you don't hear Kiwanuka complain about officiating, ever. So when I read that he said, "I haven't been held this much since I was a baby," it struck me. Again, that's not usually how Kiwanuka rolls. I also read from one of the Giants' beat writers (I think it was Mike G.) who re-watched the game, that said JPP was held a lot, and most of the time he didn't get the call.

When I watched the game, I thought the officiating was horrible. And on both sides. So while the Cowboys played the better game given the circumstances, and I'm definitely tipping my cap to them, I do think having competent officials matters... it matters a great deal. And I hope this labor dispute doesn't last longer than next week. I'm starting to get a sick feeling that the regular officials might not ever come back.

And I worry about outside influences in the gambling world using one or more of the replacement officials to compromise the integrity of the game.

If you were in there shoes, this is like winning the lottery... but you don't know how long it's going to last, and you could be out of this job even after this week's games. The temptation to influence the game and get paid while you still can could be there for some of these guys. May sound crazy... but it happened in the NBA with their regular officials.

I think the regular officials have proven to be great pros that for the most part, have been above reproach. And they mostly have full-time jobs, and they should get paid well for doing this one. They are the care-takers of the games... the games are the cash cows of a multi-billion dollar business. Because of that, I'm surprised the NFL hasn't been more flexible in their dealings with the refs. I'm usually not a union guy, but it does seem like the NFL is being the inflexible ones in this situation.

Something interesting from being at the game is that the Giants were much looser than the Cowboys during the opening warm ups. The Cowboys were much more professional and running full on drills while the Giants were still running around and hamming it up. I think after this game there will be less goofing around.

Also during the pre-game warm ups Hixon was doing the pitch and catch with Manning. Probably just a coincidence but interesting since he had a good game and was a ghost during pre-season. After half time it was Cruz.

Also I don’t know how much was shown on TV but there was a lot of mugging going on during the game by the Cowboys. I do give them credit though for knowing what they can get away with these replacement refs. I think the NFL needs to think long and hard about how confident they are about these refs because it could become very embarrassing very quickly. I have no doubt Coughlin has a lot of game tape to send to Godell.

Apparently I wasn't the only one who noticed. As per NFL website:

Coughlin wasn't happy with how New York practiced before the Cowboys loss, and linebacker Michael Boley told the Daily News a "sense of urgency" has set in. Other players connected the dots between this loss and last year's opening fade against the Washington Redskins, which feels tenuous to us.

I think more discipline will be back.

No you're right, and I agree with you. The call hurt us, it was not the reason we lost. I understand what you're saying with respect to reading stuff from a bunch of whiners. I've been guilty in the past of attacking a single poster because he joined in a cacophony of stupidity. I took out my irritation at everyone saying the same stupid thing... on just the one guy. So now I try not to lump anyone in with a perceived group when I reply to them. So when it's done to me... I'll point it out... but I'm not speaking from any moral high ground, I've been guilty of this in the past.

I haven't re-watched the game and don't know if I'm going to. One of the things that I've been hearing a lot is the Cowboys were holding an awful lot. I did see the Giants get away with some holds, too. But you don't hear Kiwanuka complain about officiating, ever. So when I read that he said, "I haven't been held this much since I was a baby," it struck me. Again, that's not usually how Kiwanuka rolls. I also read from one of the Giants' beat writers (I think it was Mike G.) who re-watched the game, that said JPP was held a lot, and most of the time he didn't get the call.

When I watched the game, I thought the officiating was horrible. And on both sides. So while the Cowboys played the better game given the circumstances, and I'm definitely tipping my cap to them, I do think having competent officials matters... it matters a great deal. And I hope this labor dispute doesn't last longer than next week. I'm starting to get a sick feeling that the regular officials might not ever come back.

And I worry about outside influences in the gambling world using one or more of the replacement officials to compromise the integrity of the game.

If you were in there shoes, this is like winning the lottery... but you don't know how long it's going to last, and you could be out of this job even after this week's games. The temptation to influence the game and get paid while you still can could be there for some of these guys. May sound crazy... but it happened in the NBA with their regular officials.

I think the regular officials have proven to be great pros that for the most part, have been above reproach. And they mostly have full-time jobs, and they should get paid well for doing this one. They are the care-takers of the games... the games are the cash cows of a multi-billion dollar business. Because of that, I'm surprised the NFL hasn't been more flexible in their dealings with the refs. I'm usually not a union guy, but it does seem like the NFL is being the inflexible ones in this situation.

Last year there were some really bad calls that changed the outcome of the games. Even the pro's screw the pooch from time to time. If you want to see some REALLY bad officiating, watch my Iggs vs. clowns on Sunday. The refs calling that game are the most inexperienced replacement refs you'll see this year according to NFL network this morning. I don't honestly believe the G-men are done for the season. I was just fishing. lol. Cheers Jim. :cheers:

LOL, Cheers. Hopefully I will get a chance to watch some football games this weekend. The wife only has an appetite for football when the Giants are playing. I'm sure she's got all kinds of stuff planned for me to do that doesn't include watching football this weekend. :(

I don't know if anone mentioned this but I am impressed with the potential of Martellus Bennett. The guy seems to know how to use his height and has good hands. Not sure if his blocking is good enough to stay in the game but you have to hate being a Defensive Coordinator having to choose who to double team between Nicks, Bennett and the Salsa.

I don't know if anone mentioned this but I am impressed with the potential of Martellus Bennett. The guy seems to know how to use his height and has good hands. Not sure if his blocking is good enough to stay in the game but you have to hate being a Defensive Coordinator having to choose who to double team between Nicks, Bennett and the Salsa.

Yeah, blu, he is recognized as being one of the best blocking TE's in the league, and is a legitimate, high-end 2-way tight end. My buddy the Cowboys' fan that was over at my house watching the game with us doesn't like him, talks about all of his unrealized potential and him being a preseason star only to flop when it matters. I disagree, I think he just needed an opportunity like he is getting with the Giants. Perhaps his motivation wasn't where it should've been with Witten ahead of him. Perhaps it was just a lack of opportunity... but this guy is a player, and I've said that he's going to be a big upgrade over Ballard, I really do believe that.

LOL, Cheers. Hopefully I will get a chance to watch some football games this weekend. The wife only has an appetite for football when the Giants are playing. I'm sure she's got all kinds of stuff planned for me to do that doesn't include watching football this weekend. :(

Dude, you gotta be kiddin! How long are you married? Give her a few credit cards and send her to the mall! Well worth it! I actually enjoy football Sundays without the Giants almost as much as with them, because it's football without the stress. I'll have two TVs going, one with the Jet game and the other on Red Zone. Nothing better than following all the games, keeping up with my fantasy players, checking out how I'm doing in my pools, laughing at the Jets.....

You have to at least free yourself from dometic obligations by 4:25 and catch the Packer-49er game!

This is what I took away from that game........we suck in opening games

Only Weatherford and JPP lined up to lay football.........I'm not exonerating the OC or DC either

A totally unprepared team to open the season on National TV.........I can see ESPN snickering all over the lunch room

Yeah, blu, he is recognized as being one of the best blocking TE's in the league, and is a legitimate, high-end 2-way tight end. My buddy the Cowboys' fan that was over at my house watching the game with us doesn't like him, talks about all of his unrealized potential and him being a preseason star only to flop when it matters. I disagree, I think he just needed an opportunity like he is getting with the Giants. Perhaps his motivation wasn't where it should've been with Witten ahead of him. Perhaps it was just a lack of opportunity... but this guy is a player, and I've said that he's going to be a big upgrade over Ballard, I really do believe that.

I agree with your disagreement! Doesn't this makes Barden even more expendable? That's good news about his blocking.

Bennett would have been the perfect player to benefit from this game if the Giants didn't have to move him up and down the line to block Demarcus Ware. Locklear on that side is frigging scary bad, I'd rather put Diehl there. I wish Beatty could get over this injury hump and get back on the field.