SportsWrath

Things to take away from the game...and viewpoints

Storm

A lot of great corners get burned on a double move. I actually think Romo's pump fake threw him, not Ogletree. You could see his eyes in the backfield. Doesn't look good on tape for the corner, but it's a tough play to defend, and even the best corners are going to get smoked sometimes, so I'm not worried about Webby.

Ah, I didn't see the pump fake, good call. But yeah, I'm not down on Webster, it just seems like the Giants are getting caught with their eyes in the backfield and awful lot.

I'm not sure what you guys are seeing about Blackburn, perhaps I missed mistakes made by him. I remember him making some nice plays last night, particularly in run defense. I know Murray had a big game, but a lot of his yards seemed to come from guys having him and not finishing the tackle (Kiwanuka, Tuck).

Oh, on that long run where Tuck missed and Kiwi didn't finish, Blackburn might have fucked up worse than any of them. I'm not positive where he was supposed to be, but it looked like he over pursued because there was a big old gap to his left that Murray ran through, and a whole bunch of NYGs to his right. If someone else is to blame, they were incredibly far out of position.

Speaking of Tuck, don't know what's up with him but Doug Free shouldn't be making you disappear one on one. You're Justin Tuck.

LOL. Tuck had flashes last night, but I thought he'd take Free behind the wood shed.

However, I will say this about our DL... I'm not too upset with them. Especially when Tryon came into the game, a lot of times it was a 3-step drop and throw from Romo... there was no time to get to Romo because he was getting rid of the ball too fast. But he also did a great job of moving in and around the pocket. One of the best games I've seen Romo play... I think Collinsworth said that last night and even though I think he's a douche I agree with him there.

Yeah, when the O starts going 3 step drop, its time to try something other than that soft zone the Giants were running. Once the Cowboys got dialed in to it they had no trouble moving the ball. I don't know what Tryon is good at (if anything), but thats the situation I'd like the see the Giants switch it up, play some bump & run. Risky play there, but it at least would stand a chance of disrupting the timing of the route. Too much rhythm, too comfortable back there for Romo. The pass rush was taken out of the game.

When you have one DB being picked on constantly like Tyron was I'd like to see the D try turn that into a stealth INT opportunity. Have the DLinemen get their hands up and have Rolle or Phillips jump the route. Anythings better than just bending over and taking it.

Yeah, when the O starts going 3 step drop, its time to try something other than that soft zone the Giants were running. Once the Cowboys got dialed in to it they had no trouble moving the ball. I don't know what Tryon is good at (if anything), but thats the situation I'd like the see the Giants switch it up, play some bump & run. Risky play there, but it at least would stand a chance of disrupting the timing of the route. Too much rhythm, too comfortable back there for Romo. The pass rush was taken out of the game.

I was saying that too. Why weren't we pressing at the line when the Cowboys went to 3-step drops?

So what, Tyron could just get burnt over the top for a TD? I am sure that is exactly what the Cowboys were looking for.

Maybe, but thats what was going on anyway so how much worse could it have been? A loss is a loss; I'd just rather try something that has a chance, however slim, than go with something that we are certain will not work.

1. I was impressed with Bradshaw's ability to make something out of nothing and manage not to lose yards on nearly every carry. He will get one or two big gainers per game based on pure ability.

2. David Wilson will not see the field if he can't hold onto the ball. And rightfully so. That was one of the most awful fumbles I've seen, he could not have been carrying that ball less securely.

3. Our secondary looks lost, right across the line. Michael Coe played by far the best and it was a shame to see him go down so early because I was really impressed. I have no idea what Rolle was trying to tackle on the 1st and 30 touchdown pass that was the backbreaker. It was like he expected the ball to go over an outstretched Austin's hands or something. Phillips had no impact. Corey Webster, our one healthy and some could argue one of the best in the league, got burnt constantly by Kevin Fucking Ogeltree.

4. Jason Pierre-Paul made impact play after impact play despite being held on every fucking play. He single-handedly caused the interception, driving his man into Tony Romo's grill. Then, he did the "get-off me, son" on that running play, stuffing the back for a loss, and I have to say, he plays on an absolute different level than every single one of our defenders. Justin Tuck had a horrible missed tackle in the back field that led to a big gain by Murray. I'm not sure if Osi made a single play. Our defensive tackles looked strong early on but you could tell that with pretty much no rotation at the position because we cut all of our tackles (granted, every one of them were journeymen or UDFAs), they broke down in a hurry. A general lack of conditioning was noticeable to me on both sides of the fucking line and I don't get it, what the fuck do you do in the offseason?

5. How do you not take advantage of all the penalties on Dallas? 1st and 30. Seriously.

6. You cannot win in the NFL if you do not take advantage of being placed on the 2 yard line. Those were the worst 3 offensive calls from inside the 5 that I've seen since, well, last year just about every time we got in the red zone. And to me, even the fact that Cruz was interfered with was questionable....the guy had contact on him but this is the red zone, into the end zone....they are going to let that go every time. How do you not look to Hakeem Nicks or Martellus Bennett in that situation, anyway? No offense to Cruz but he was off, and he is by no means a physical threat in the red zone.

7. Chase Blackburn will be replaced by Mark Herzlich, hopefully sooner rather than later.

8. Keith Rivers looks like he is going to be the steal of the offseason for us. The guy is FAST. That blitz was impressive, if only he could have stopped on a dime to chase Romo down and drive him into the turf, the fucking guy.

Anyway, what else you guys got? Besides the refs, because they were awful consistently. We were awful pretty inconsistently, and there were some bright spots. And I'm thinking we probably scored more touchdowns than that Jets will in 3 weeks, at least.

I'm going to be honest... I didn't read this whole mess, but with as many penalties as the cowballs gave up last night it's deplorable that the superbowl champs didn't chalk up the "W."

Hey guys,

Yeah, I dont take too much from this game. I agree with Storm on Bradshaws toughness, but our run game still stunk. Cruz didlook like someone who let stardom get to his head but its only one game. A severe TB beatdown should do the trick.

BTW,dont know if it was mentioned, but Nicks madesome nice grabs last night considering.

Further, I thought Fewell called a pretty shitty game. It was like he had a clue in the first half but dropped trou and grew a tale in the second half. Inexcusable lack of blitzing (and that's coming from ME, a pretty conservative guy on that front). The front four STOPPED GETTING PRESSURE. Send the extra guys, especially when you have to try to cover up injury depletion to your secondary. Romo was getting all day in the second half and it's not a mystery why they were able to start scoring on us.

Great write-up, Storm.....agree 100% with your other comments, too.

I like Coughlin's comment..... "you'd think we never saw a slant before". Pretty much summed up that defense.

You'd think they'd bring up some safety help and jump a slant route.

If the Giants can't run inside, they have some serious issues.

Aaron Ross and Brandon Jacobs...... make no mistake, those were free agency LOSSES.

When you have one DB being picked on constantly like Tyron was I'd like to see the D try turn that into a stealth INT opportunity. Have the DLinemen get their hands up and have Rolle or Phillips jump the route. Anythings better than just bending over and taking it.

Agreed.....you'd think they'd roll JPP over to that side, and just have him jump into the lane.

I like Coughlin's comment..... "you'd think we never saw a slant before". Pretty much summed up that defense.

Aaron Ross and Brandon Jacobs...... make no mistake, those were free agency LOSSES.

i think Jacobs would have been even worse running behind that line.

I honestly believe Coe played a pretty good game before the hamstring injury forced him out of the game. Tryon was clearly outclassed, and when Ogletree was in the slot, he was putting a hurt on Hosley as well, if I'm not mistaken... but to be honest I don't know who was covering the slot receiver most of the game until I re-watch. But that's where the Cowboys were really hurting us, was the slot, for most of the game, so I believe Coe was doing a good job. Obviously, Webster bit on that fake for the TD, but until Coe left the game, the Cowboys were having a more difficult time in the passing game.

We forget that the Giants' defense played pretty great ball until the last 2 minutes of the first half or so. Things fell apart after that, but we still only lost by one score, despite having a fumble at the Dallas 27 yard line on a drive that could've resulted in points. Also a non-call defensive hold on Cruz that should've resulted in 7 points instead of just 3, and at least three drive-ending drops. Like others have said, all correctable things.

I honestly believe Coe played a pretty good game before the hamstring injury forced him out of the game. Tryon was clearly outclassed, and when Ogletree was in the slot, he was putting a hurt on Hosley as well, if I'm not mistaken... but to be honest I don't know who was covering the slot receiver most of the game until I re-watch. But that's where the Cowboys were really hurting us, was the slot, for most of the game, so I believe Coe was doing a good job. Obviously, Webster bit on that fake for the TD, but until Coe left the game, the Cowboys were having a more difficult time in the passing game.

We forget that the Giants' defense played pretty great ball until the last 2 minutes of the first half or so. Things fell apart after that, but we still only lost by one score, despite having a fumble at the Dallas 27 yard line on a drive that could've resulted in points. Also a non-call defensive hold on Cruz that should've resulted in 7 points instead of just 3, and at least three drive-ending drops. Like others have said, all correctable things.

You guys need to stop talking about that. Everybody saw it. It was a bad call, but as the defending SB champs you need to put enough points up on the board to overcome a bad call here and there. There were a few missed calls on each side of the ball. The problem last night wasn't the refs. The problem was the G-men couldn't stop the run, or the pass and they damned sure weren't putting points on the board like a SB championship team should... Just one man's opinion.

i think Jacobs would have been even worse running behind that line.

Agreed.

Maybe, we won't know.

But there was nothing resembling an interior rush.

Mabye Gilbride needs to realize all the pulling shit isn't working.....put a hat on a hat and try some drive blocking....even if that's just a process of elimination.

Maybe, we won't know.

But there was nothing resembling an interior rush.

Mabye Gilbride needs to realize all the pulling shit isn't working.....put a hat on a hat and try some drive blocking....even if that's just a process of elimination.

If he has a breakout season this year we will. Regardless, horrible, horrible game. Good thing there's a lot of time before the next game.

You guys need to stop talking about that. Everybody saw it. It was a bad call, but as the defending SB champs you need to put enough points up on the board to overcome a bad call here and there. There were a few missed calls on each side of the ball. The problem last night wasn't the refs. The problem was the G-men couldn't stop the run, or the pass and they damned sure weren't putting points on the board like a SB championship team should... Just one man's opinion.

It's a fair opinion, I got no issue with that.

Mind you we won our third superbowl with 17 points.

Don't see the big deal about the statement I made. I'm not complaining about the call, not saying we lost because of it... I'm saying that we only lost by 7 points when it comes down to it and there was opportunity to win that game... it's not like we were blown out, and Dallas is a good team. We lost the opener to the Redskins last year, I'm not worried about it. All these "issues" you are talking about... we had worse issues last year and in 2007... lost by 10 in the opener to the Cowboys and they ran up 45 points on us. The next game we were blown out by the Packers 35-13. Everybody wanted Spagnuolo run out of town after those two games... as I recall that season ended triumphantly.

My point is, there is no real cause for concern here. We were down to our last CB on the depth chart, of course we couldn't stop the pass. The Giants really got going last year when we got guys healthy on the defense and brought Chase Blackburn back in during the second half. It may end up being the same way again... Prince Amukamara should be starting opposite Webster if not next week, by week 3, and Coe is already saying he could play next week. We have Marvin Austin who is an x-factor on the defensive line, who might play week 2. Our starting LT should be ready for next week. And we still have Chris Canty that will be coming off of PUP midseason and will step right in as the starter at DT alongside Linval with fresh legs for the second half. And I doubt Cruz is going to drop 4 passes in a game again. Overall, this team right now, defensively, is miles ahead from where they were this time last year. A lot of the Cowboys' yards came off of a couple of big plays that can be eliminated, and by throwing at Justin Tryon.

To a degree, a game like this should've been somewhat expected. And I like how they competed, drove down the field in the final 5 minutes and got a TD. And yeah, I do think that the Cowboys got away with a lot but that's ok, we got away with some as well.

But don't be fooled into thinking this team is going to fold, or that this team is going to be cellar dwellars. The Giants will bounce back, and they are going to be tough to beat.

Season-opening loss to hated division rival where we look unprepared?

Down to sixth stringers at one position after the first game?

Ineffective sieve of an O-line?

300-yard passers and 100-yard rushers to a defense that's giving up the absurdly huge play?

This is 2011 all over again.... SUPER BOWL! :D

Something interesting from being at the game is that the Giants were much looser than the Cowboys during the opening warm ups. The Cowboys were much more professional and running full on drills while the Giants were still running around and hamming it up. I think after this game there will be less goofing around.

Also during the pre-game warm ups Hixon was doing the pitch and catch with Manning. Probably just a coincidence but interesting since he had a good game and was a ghost during pre-season. After half time it was Cruz.

Also I don’t know how much was shown on TV but there was a lot of mugging going on during the game by the Cowboys. I do give them credit though for knowing what they can get away with these replacement refs. I think the NFL needs to think long and hard about how confident they are about these refs because it could become very embarrassing very quickly. I have no doubt Coughlin has a lot of game tape to send to Godell.

About Wilson: All I heard all week about him, Bradshaw, and Coughlin was about how Coughlin fixed TIki's fumbling and how Bradshaw dropped from like 7 fumbles to 2 or whatever, blah blah blah. Then, I look and see Bradshaw carrying the ball high and tight, like Coughlin wants. I look at David Wilson and the balls is down on his hip, like he's moving it and pumping his arms to move quicker, not securing the ball against his body. The ball needs to be pressed firmly against his chest. I guess I was just disappointed to see he did the exact opposite, in my opinion, with how he's holding that ball coming into a lane he's is clearly going to get contacted in....

I was impressed with his quickness.

Thanks, Joe.

A lot of people here didn't care about losing Ross (because a certain half-human, half-cadaver, tackling machine was coming back) but he was definitely the one to resign....oh well. Here's to hoping Amukamara doesn't suck more than Will Allen.....

We lost. We have some things to fix, especially on the Oline. I'm hoping the defense improves when Akamura comes back. But the reality is that these Dallas games always come down to the last few minutes, and we shouldn't be having panic attacks. At least not yet.

From what I saw, neither team was particularly outstanding Wed. It was a typically sloppy opening game. I would have just preferred it not happen against a division rival. We have one of these every year in the first half and wind up 6-2. Then I panic, because that's when anything can happen.

Remember, we were one failed stop from getting the ball back around the 2-minute warning, and then who knows? Have to give credit to Dallas on this one--they did what they had to do to win.