SportsWrath

Your 2012 NY Giants - 53 Man Roster

Allstarjim

OFFENSE (25):

QB (2): Eli Manning, David Carr

RB (4): Ahmad Bradshaw, David Wilson, Andre Brown, Da'Rel Scott

FB (1): Henry Hynoski

WR (6): Hakeem Nicks, VIctor Cruz, Domenik Hixon, Ramses Barden, Rueben Randle, Jerrel Jernigan

TE (3): Martellus Bennett, Bear Pascoe, Adrien Robinson

OL (9): Will Beatty, Kevin Boothe, David Baas, Chris Snee, David Diehl, Sean Locklear, James Brewer, Mitch Petrus, Jim Cordle

Defense (25):

DE (5): Justin Tuck, Jason Pierre-Paul, Osi Umenyiora, Adrian Tracy, Adewale Ojomo

DT (4): Linval Joseph, Rocky Bernard, Marvin Austin, Marcus Kuhn

LB (7): Michael Boley, Chase Blackburn, Mathias Kiwanuka, Keith Rivers, Jacquian Williams, Mark Herzlich, Spencer Paysinger

CB (5): Corey Webster, Prince Amukamara, Jayron Hosley, Michael Coe, Justin Tryon

S (4): Antrel Rolle, Kenny Phillips, Will Hill, Stevie Brown

Special Teams (3):

P: Steve Weatherford

K: Lawrence Tynes

LS: Steve DeOssie

Reserve/Suspended: Tyler Sash

PUP: Chris Canty, Travis Beckum

Season Ending Injured Reserve: Terrell Thomas, Shaun Rogers, Brandon Mosley, Justin Trattou, Martin Parker

Couple of thoughts, I read another place some speculation that on Tuesday, Marvin Austin could be placed on partial-season IR, and that Marcus Thomas, who was released, not waived... which is very important, has a wink and a nod agreement that when Austin goes on IR, Thomas will rejoin the 53 man roster. Could be true, maybe not. Garafolo is reporting that Austin will be on the team, no IR in his future.

I like the skill positions on offense a lot, backs, receivers, and tight ends. We have ability, veterans, and young potential at all positions. But the performance of the O-line is worrisome. I'm hopeful the right side of the line, in particular, can get it together, with Snee and Diehl. Not too concerned about Baas or Boothe. But hopefully Beatty is ok and will be ready to play his best football. I do have some faith in Locklear as well. But the rest of the depth doesn't inspire confidence. Petrus and Cordle, neither of them were good players this preseason, and James Brewer was pretty horrendous at Tackle.

On defense, I like what we have. The front four is going to be awesome. And you have to look at Canty coming back mid season as a blessing in disguise, he'll have fresh legs for the playoff push. But Prince is pretty much out for the first game, and Hosley is probably going to be questionable. So that's going to leave us with Coe and Tryon at corner behind Webster. I think we could see more of Rolle in the slot, which is where I don't want to see him. I wouldn't mind seeing some packages with Will Hill on the field, either.

A lot rides on Hosley as the nickel corner this year, especially with T2 on IR. We are thin at CB, so the guys need to get healthy and stay healthy. Hosley has to be the real deal. The early returns look good. The speed of the game doesn't look like it's going to be a problem for him. I'm looking for some more pick-sixes like we saw in the preseason from him. But he really is a key to this team, because if he can step in that nickel corner and play well, then the whole defense is going to be awesome.

Keep in mind this is the roster for today and it could change even prior to the Cowboys' game.

Good thread.

It's a nice roster on paper, but our starting DBs (Webster, Rolle, Phillips) must stay healthy and Hosely needs to play, Prince needs to come back strong, Coe looks like he's ready to make a name for himself already and looks like he's ready to take a big step potentially as a legitimate NY GIANT role player. But our core DBs must stay intact with the injury to Thomas and lack if trust in Will Hill. Our DBs will be ballin if they stay healthy.

Our front 7 unit is something im jizzing my pants about, hardcore cum.

On offense I love everything including our new starting TE, but the backup offensive line has me very very concerned. This is the x factor.

Btw props to DeOssie, it's nice having him since hes a pure ST STUD! He's a legit weapon on punts.

Best of luck to 2x super bowl champion Danny "DJ" Ware. Rock on bro! Hopefully we won't need to dial you up in a few weeks.

Good thread.

It's a nice roster on paper, but our starting DBs (Webster, Rolle, Phillips) must stay healthy and Hosely needs to play, Prince needs to come back strong, Coe looks like he's ready to make a name for himself already and looks like he's ready to take a big step potentially as a legitimate NY GIANT role player. But our core DBs must stay intact with the injury to Thomas and lack if trust in Will Hill. Our DBs will be ballin if they stay healthy.

Our front 7 unit is something im jizzing my pants about, hardcore cum.

On offense I love everything including our new starting TE, but the backup offensive line has me very very concerned. This is the x factor.

Btw props to DeOssie, it's nice having him since hes a pure ST STUD! He's a legit weapon on punts.

Best of luck to 2x super bowl champion Danny "DJ" Ware. Rock on bro! Hopefully we won't need to dial you up in a few weeks.

*cough cough*

I seem to remember a recent debate between you and I... something about Coe vs Tryon?

BTW, I'm excited about Bennett as well. He's the real deal as a blocker... and legitimate two-way threat. I think he's going to be a bigger part of the offense than Ballard was for us last year, and upgrade the position. I think Bennett could be on the north side of 50 catches this season (Ballard had 38 last year).

Yes I know, I never like Coe but he looked like he belonged a little bit against the Bears.

I was big on Bruce Johnson, but I guess the team slightly agrees since they'd IR him instead of cutting him. He had no significant injury at all.

Bennet yup, the only thing that will prevent him from putting up big numbers is if the OL shits the bed and we need him for blocking most of the time. He really is a good blocker in pass pro as well.

The only reason I liked Coe is because I remembered him from last preseason, prior to him getting hurt, he showed a lot of talent, played very well. I was upset we lost him. We also lost Brian Witherspoon and T2 in the same game last year... we were pretty thin going into the regular season at CB back then just as we are now.

Well, I honestly hope that we've already seen the last of Terrell Thomas as the starting CB, here's to the Amukamara era. Don't see much of a chance you ever see TT in an important role again on this team.

You gotta think he's done then. They're not gonna pay him the $7 mill due next spring.

I think $$ is the number 1 reason he's on the real IR and they aren't rolling the dice with him....they have to get themselves out of the bumbling contract they gave him. Luckily, they're doing it sooner rather than later.

You gotta think he's done then. They're not gonna pay him the $7 mill due next spring.

Yeah....this was obviously a call based on money and the improbability of long term health.

From the DailyNews:

"The team signed him to a four-year, $28.4 million contract in March, but it contained a way for the Giants to get out after just one year for $1 to 2 million.

According to a source familiar with that deal, Thomas is due a $6 million option bonus in March, which, if the Giants picked up, would guarantee his 2013 salary ($750,000) and much of his 2014 salary ($3.8 million, $2.75 million of which would be guaranteed.

That is not something the Giants would be willing to do for a player who has torn his ACL twice and then “aggravated” it again".

TT we barely knew thee! Too bad. Maybe he resigns for less after he's released in the spring but here's another reminder of how fleeting an NFL career can be.

We started last season with DB being a position of great concern and we're right back there again. At least this year we have Hosley, so Rolle can stay at safety, where he is best and not have to be the slot corner against 3 and 4 WR sets.....but let's hope Prince's learning curve isn't too steep!

And does Petrus have incriminating pictures of the coaching staff?

TT we barely knew thee! Too bad. Maybe he resigns for less after he's released in the spring but here's another reminder of how fleeting an NFL career can be.

I think this was purely an economic decision. The front office saw a chance to save millions (which could really come in handy) on a player who they aren't sure will ever be his old self. Once he reinjured himself (no matter how little) on the same ACL, he was a crapshoot - an extremely expensive crapshoot to boot (think William Joseph or Ron Dayne). I don't think any other team will take a chance and sign him to a big contract so if he keeps himself in shape and is fully 100% back after a year off, the Giants could then sign him to a shorter, more reasonable cost and risk....then they might just do that. Time will tell.

We started last season with DB being a position of great concern and we're right back there again. At least this year we have Hosley, so Rolle can stay at safety, where he is best and not have to be the slot corner against 3 and 4 WR sets.....but let's hope Prince's learning curve isn't too steep!

I wouldn't be surprised it the Giants went shopping for some help here. Tryon and Coe aren't horrible and Tryon showed some flashes of good things to come. Prince really needs to step up quickly, or the Giants will panic and go shopping....IMHO.

And does Petrus have incriminating pictures of the coaching staff?

:LMAO: yeah....makes you wonder. I really like Petrus, but he plain ole stunk up the joint this preseason. Hopefully his awful play was an anomaly and not his highlight reel stuff. He's awfully strong....maybe he's not teachable, who knows. I also am not impressed with Cordle. I would love to see the Giants pick up a genuine stud or two for the O-line....but it's so risky because the guys have to work as a single unit to be good. A plug-n-play stud lineman might not work out as planned. Anyway....hopefully, Petrus will get his shit together and man up.

T2 going on IR was not an economic decision, that is balogna. His contract for this year and this year only is around $1mil either way. I'm sure the Giants would've loved a healthy T2 at that price. He wasn't ready to go, and with no assurances that he would be ready to go any time soon, if ever, they did the right thing by him. Now he still has a small chance of playing again. The Eagles prob would've rushed him out there to have his career ended, which it may be anyway. But putting him on IR saves the Giants $0. Even if he played all year and played well, they still had the option after the season. Maybe if all the other corners were healthy and ready to go, they might've carried him on the roster and tried to get him ready to go. But I think that knee is not close to being ready. I read he recently went to see Dr. Andrews and I bet he did not get good news about that ligament. Remember it eas a cadaver ligament that was damaged before he could get through his second practice.