SportsWrath

NFLPA approves change to IR and Trade Deadline

Allstarjim

http://espn.go.com/n...eadline-changes

Major implications for us. Note that the marquee player "must be on the 53 man roster after the final preseason cut." So what I would expect is for T2 to make the team initially, be then placed on partial IR for 6 weeks very shortly after that. And with that roster spot, I expect the Giants will look for help for the offensive line among the other cuts, or bring back an extra CB or S, like Stevie Brown or Laron Scott.

NFLPA approves rule changes

Updated: August 30, 2012, 1:16 PM ETAssociated Press

NEW YORK -- The players' union has approved a rule change that will allow one designated player to return from injured reserve and play this season.

The NFL Players Association also agreed to move the league's trading deadline back two weeks to after games in Week 8.

NFL owners voted for both changes in May. But the union had to sign off on them and did so Thursday, six days before the regular season kicks off.

One "marquee" player placed on injured reserve will be able to return to practice after the sixth week of the schedule and to the lineup after the eighth week. That player must be on the 53-man roster after the final preseason cut, which comes Friday.

Several teams already have candidates for that spot. New York Giants cornerback Terrell Thomas, who missed all of the 2011 season with a right knee injury, aggravated his surgically repaired right anterior cruciate ligament in training camp. He remains on the Giants roster.

Baltimore recently placed Terrell Suggs, last season's Defensive Player of the Year, on the physically unable to perform list, meaning he must sit out at least the first six games. Suggs appeared to fall into the category of the new rule, as well.

Moving the trade deadline could create more action than in the past, when teams rarely moved players at the deadline.

Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press

Very interesting. The Giants would have to be very careful about who they cut before putting T2 on the "designated IR" and then bringing one of their cuts right back, because if it takes more than a few minutes, you can bet your ass a smart team manager will suck that temporarily cut player up within seconds after his release.

Still....it's about time the reconsidered some of the rules for injured and semi-injured players. I like it!

From Garaflo:

I just want to go over the new IR rule for you folks, considering some aspects have been explained while others haven’t. I checked with the NFL to clarify some of the finer points. Here’s a rundown of everything:

--Only one player may be designated the short-term IR player for the season.

--The designation must be made at the time the player is placed on IR.

--As I stated above, the player must remain on IR for at least eight weeks. After that, he can come off at any point or can remain on IR for as long as it takes him to get healthy.

--The player must be on the 53-man roster until Tuesday at 4 p.m. (Initial cutdowns to 53 must be made by 9 p.m. this Friday.)

--However, there is one exception. Since this change is being made so late in the process, players who are already on IR can be designated as short-term players. In those cases, the designation must be made by 9 p.m. Friday. This part doesn’t really affect the Giants, I wouldn’t think, because the players already on IR are DE Justin Trattou, DT Martin Parker and OL Brandon Mosley. I’d think they’d use the designation on a more integral player.

--The short-term designation is not transferrable. So for example, let’s say the Giants put Thomas on IR as their short-term guy and then he blows out his knee while trying to rehab and can’t come back. They can’t say, “Well, he was supposed to be our short-term guy, so we’re going to use that designation for somebody else.” Nope. Once a guy is your short-term guy, he’s your short-term guy and that’s it. No exceptions.

-------------------------------------------------------

That one rule that the IR designate must be on the team from Friday to Tuesday before you can bring a cut player back means there's a good chance a cut player you planned on bringing right back will be a Colt or a Ram or something before you can get him on the roster.

Why not just make the roster 54?

One word: Union!

The union is the reason that teams can't protect more people. The less people eating at the trough, the more money for the players. They make sure that a handful get lots of money at the expense of hundreds of pretty good players with plenty of potential get sent home. The roster size and practice squad size is non-negotiable with the union. I'm flabbergasted that the unions let the teams have this one little change.

Marvin Austin is another possibility. Haven't really heard if he's close to being ready and Coughlin made a statement about him not going to be anywhere near ready because of all the time he's missed when he comes off of this injury.

So, Shaun Rogers, Marvin Austin, or Terrell Thomas, one of them will more than likely go on partial IR. My guess is Thomas.