SportsWrath

What to watch for tonight

Treehugger

- which WRs will make the cut? Will Barden actually play like a real WR again?

- who's stepping up at DT? (I'm pretty sure I saw Kuhn break into the backfield twice last week)

- will Reese and General Starchtrousers finally admit that Perrilloux is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Carr?!!!

- will Douglas cement his role as KR/PR?

- Who's the odd man out at LB? Jones?

I hope to get to watch some of this game tonight.. Wed night football is bullshit... I understand it is because our first game is on a Wed (bullshit too)

Perriloux does have a cannon of an arm... but as far as back-up material to our MVP QB. Carr is much better suited. Smart player, can make the throws, given some time behind the starting O-line will make few errors and keep the team in games. But really Eli goes down for multiple games we are fucked.

Kuhn is a physical monster... raw talent type of player I would be shocked if he did not have a good game tonight. Especially against the bottom of the Pats depth chart.

Agreed with everything you said. The only wild card that could rock the boat is a new injury. Hopefully, that won't be the case.

Here's a good article on Douglas and Tracy - both on the bubble according to the author:

David Douglas, Adrian Tracy on bubble as final cuts loom for Giants

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

BY Art Staplet

STAFF WRITER

The Record

The question was a simple one: "Have you done enough?"

David Douglas insists not yet, which is why he can't wait to step inside MetLife Stadium for tonight's preseason finale against the Patriots with one last chance to show the Giants he belongs on the team.

Adrian Tracy believes he already has, at least that is the hope, considering the third-year defensive end likely will not be suiting up because of a sore hamstring he still is nursing.

"I'm not sure you ever feel completely satisfied that you've done enough, but there has to be a level of confidence that you have," Tracy said. "Out of the chances you receive, you'd better do everything you can to make the most of them."

Tracy and Douglas have been two of the brightest albeit unexpected preseason stars for the Giants, making plays and gaining plenty of attention while also garnering raves from teammates and the coaching staff, most notably coach Tom Coughlin.

But with teams needing to trim rosters from 75 players to a regular-season ready 53 by Friday night, there certainly remains a fine line between changing front-office opinions and reinforcing them as the Giants prepare for the final exhibition of the summer.

Douglas is among the group of wide receivers pushing to earn a spot behind mainstays Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz, rookie Rueben Randle, veteran Domenik Hixon and Ramses Barden, whose performance against the Jets likely secured his place.

"When coaches give you an opportunity, you've got to go out and make plays if you want to make this team. That's the bottom line," Douglas said. "You have to do a lot of things to help yourself as far as being versatile to improve your chances of making the team."

Meanwhile, Tracy had emerged as the favorite to replace Dave Tollefson as the fourth DE behind Jason Pierre-Paul, Justin Tuck and Osi Umenyiora with a breakout camp.

He has been with the Giants for two previous seasons – the practice squad last year – although while he is sidelined with the hamstring injury, teammates such as Matt Broha and Adewale Ojomo have seized the moment and earned their share of praise.

"I've been an under-the-radar guy for a long time, and I feel like these younger guys have done stuff to be in the media and they've done well," Tracy said. "And I'm not at all downplaying that, but it always seems like, when things aren't really going 100 percent as I had planned, I kind of get overlooked. I feel like I've worked hard this off-season. I've done well in training camp, OTAs, minicamp and preseason — I don't think I should be tossed to the side that quickly."

While Tracy is still viewed as a pretty good bet to survive final cuts, Douglas admittedly has an uphill battle. His biggest competitor is more than likely Jerrel Jernigan, last year's third-round pick who started off very strong in camp before losing what was believed his stranglehold on the job of punt returner with ball-security issues.

An undrafted free agent out of Arizona, Douglas made an array of spectacular catches during camp and proved steady when given a chance to return punts against the Bears last Friday. At the very least, the Giants could be hoping Douglas clears waivers if released, which would allow them to bring him back to their practice squad.

There's just one problem with that: Douglas might already have done too much, piquing the interest of the rest of the league in the process.

"You don't even think about whether you've done enough," Douglas said. "You just think about this game and go out and do everything you can to make plays. You've got to do everything you can to make the team and put it on them, take advantage of every chance you get to put on that helmet. I'm not going out there thinking about getting cut. You've just got to go out there and play, and whatever happens is going to happen."

I think if Douglas is playing with the first team tonight, and he doesn't mess up catching punts, that he's made the team. If he doesn't show up until the second half, it could mean he's not going to make it. I really hope he does because I think he could become a big time player under the right QB like Eli.

I think if Douglas is playing with the first team tonight, and he doesn't mess up catching punts, that he's made the team. If he doesn't show up until the second half, it could mean he's not going to make it. I really hope he does because I think he could become a big time player under the right QB like Eli.

I've been impressed with Douglas so far....hope the kid makes it.

I like Douglas as much as JJ at this point, and both above Barden.

I also think, regarding Tracy and Ojomo...Ojomo gets cut and we cross our collective fingers he clears waivers so we can get him on the PS.

Agreed. I think Ojomo is going to get claimed, though, by either the Bears or the Jets. You know at the very least, those two teams noticed him.

I can't see keeping more than 4 DEs past Friday's cut down to 53...and with Tuck, JPP, Osi taking 3 of those 4 spots, you have to think that there's only one spot available for Ojomo and Tracy to fight over.

Keeping Ojomo is tempting given his showing thus far and given Tracy is a bit dinged at the moment, but I think that Tracy is more prepared to move into that 4th spot than is Ojomo...and furthermore, Ojomo has shown his ability against lesser talent than has Tracy. I'd bet that Tracy would be as dominant or moreso had he gone up against the same competition that Tracy did. I'd be impressed if anyone could tell the outcomes of when Ojomo and Tracy went up against the same guy, and then analyzed the results of said comparison. Guess that's what the coaches are for...lol.

But yeah, I don't see Ojomo AND Tracy making the 53-man roster.

I would keep Ojomo. He's a pure pass rusher.

I like Ojomo more as a DE than Tracy. I like the big guys... Ojomo has 20+ lbs on Tracy. He's country strong, too. But I think Tracy is probably the better special teams contributor, and that's what is going to give him an edge, as well as what gmenroc said about level of competition they've faced.

That's all true and it very well might go just as you say - they keep Tracy instead (agree it's one or the other)......but I bet Ojomo doesn't make it through waivers. Competition level aside, the guy just looks like a real deal pass rusher.

I was reading ProFootballTalk and the Colts are drooling at the people who are going to be cut. The Colt players on the other hand don't like the idea that they might make the 53 man roster, only to be replaced by someone they pick off the wire. Of course, they get first tibs on anyone who is cut and they are searching for a WR, OT, LB, and according to the upper management, anyone who will improve the team. There is probably no way that Douglas gets to the practice squad if he's cut. Also, whether it's Paysinger or Jones that gets cut, they will be on a team this year. Dittos with Tracy or Ojomo.

Since we are SB champs, we get last dibs on any stud that ends up cut.......in short, we get shit to pick over. Which isn't a bad thing because we have solid players at every position and we're going to have to cut some people we don't want to cut.

I wish the NFL would change rules to allow 10 players on the practice squad with 2 of them untouchable as long as they are paid an NFL salary. I've always thought it would be the right thing to do to allow an NFL team to protect a couple of players that need a couple years of seasoning before joining the main roster. Especially offensive linemen which typically take a few years to be NFL ready. Nothing worse than investing in a player and teaching them the NFL ropes, only to lose that player to a scrub team that snaps him up off your practice squad.

Agreed. I think Ojomo is going to get claimed, though, by either the Bears or the Jets. You know at the very least, those two teams noticed him.

Without a doubt.....you've got to think the entire NFL is watching the Giants for potential castaways, given how deep they are at DE

Seventeen Giants will miss the team’s preseason finale tonight against the Patriots due to injury, the team announced.

The list includes corners Prince Amukamara (ankle), Terrell Thomas (knee), Bruce Johnson (shoulder), Jayron Hosley (toe); safety Tyler Sash (ankle); running back Ahmad Bradshaw (hand); linebackers Michael Boley (hamstring) and Mathias Kiwanuka (groin); offensive linemen Will Beatty (back), Chris Snee (leg), and James Brewer (back); defensive ends Osi Umenyiora (knee), Jason Pierre-Paul (back), Justin Tuck (shoulder), and Adrian Tracy (hamstring), and defensive tackles Shaun Rogers (leg) and Marvin Austin (back).

On offense, Sean Locklear will start at left tackle for Beatty; Mitch Petrus will start at right guard for Snee, and David Wilson will start at running back for Bradshaw.

On defense, Michael Coe will start at cornerback for Amukamara; Craig Marshall and Matt Broha will get the starts at defensive end for Tuck and Pierre-Paul; Jacquian Williams will start for Kiwanuka, and Keith Rivers will start for Boley at weakside linebacker.

http://insidefootball.com/blog/archives/5064?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Fights I'm looking forward to:

Barden vs Jernigan vs Douglas for two roster spots (of course).

Tracy vs Ojomo... Tracy is out, Ojomo has to set the world on fire against better competition.

Dwayne Hendricks vs Marcus Kuhn As an aside, Joseph seems to be rushing the passer very well since last postseason.

Scott vs. Brown for one roster spot (I'm pulling for Scott).

Coe vs Tryon.

How will Carr do with more time and some better receivers?

Will Perriloux beat out both Carr and Eli for the number one spot, and will he join Chase Blackburn in the Hall of Fame?

Fights I'm looking forward to:

Barden vs Jernigan vs Douglas for two roster spots (of course).

Tracy vs Ojomo... Tracy is out, Ojomo has to set the world on fire against better competition.

Dwayne Hendricks vs Marcus Kuhn As an aside, Joseph seems to be rushing the passer very well since last postseason.

Scott vs. Brown for one roster spot (I'm pulling for Scott).

Coe vs Tryon.

Excellent summary of what's on the line tonight. I too want to see Scott beat out Brown.....and I hope that the Ware project is finally put to bed. Enough with that experiment.

Will Perriloux beat out both Carr and Eli for the number one spot, and will he join Chase Blackburn in the Hall of Fame?

:LMAO:

I hope to get to watch some of this game tonight.. Wed night football is bullshit... I understand it is because our first game is on a Wed (bullshit too)

Perriloux does have a cannon of an arm... but as far as back-up material to our MVP QB. Carr is much better suited. Smart player, can make the throws, given some time behind the starting O-line will make few errors and keep the team in games. But really Eli goes down for multiple games we are fucked.

Kuhn is a physical monster... raw talent type of player I would be shocked if he did not have a good game tonight. Especially against the bottom of the Pats depth chart.

Carr is well suited to be an Asst Coach...........all you have to do is hit him hard once and he then becomes Mr Peepers out there. Take a look at our schedule, take a look at Carr ......... now tell me he can win a game.......not a one I'm afraid

a touchdown....

Well you did not get that...it was like watching a Jets game...........I did not see a determined effort by either team offensively. Both defenses seemed to dominate the "game".

Not to worry, come next Wednesday I'msure both teams will give you quite a show. I'm going Giants 24- Dallas 17

These preseason games are little more than dress rehearsals and a little higher level practice against players not on your own team. Winning means nothing....this is a practice and coaches just want to see how players react to certain things. The offensive coach isn't about to show his hand and run plays that are planned for the season. The element of surprise is worth a touchdown or two in real games.

The games mean nothing - it's a dressed up practice - primary objectives are to avoid serious injuries and find out if a player shakes out of the fodder and might fit on the team. Looks like Ojomo, Hill, and possibly Douglas has shaken out of the fodder this year. Last year it was Paysinger and Herzlick. Two years ago it was Cruz. It's a good way to find a diamond in the rough.

Well you did not get that...it was like watching a Jets game...........I did not see a determined effort by either team offensively. Both defenses seemed to dominate the "game".

Not to worry, come next Wednesday I'msure both teams will give you quite a show. I'm going Giants 24- Dallas 17

I don't really think you saw them doing anything other than absolute basic offense, but that normally is how it goes most of preseason.

I don't really think you saw them doing anything other than absolute basic offense, but that normally is how it goes most of preseason.

Basic O and Vanilla D. It's like this every year. We'll be ready to execute next Wednesday.