SportsWrath

Positions to watch tonight: Link

Allstarjim

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/08/giants_gameday_three_positions.html

Giants Gameday: Three positions to watch as Giants face Bears

Published: Friday, August 24, 2012, 1:34 PM Updated: Friday, August 24, 2012, 1:38 PM

1828094.png By Star-Ledger Staff

11475586-large.jpg

Mark L. Baer/US Presswire

Rueben Randle, the Giants' second-round draft pick this year, has drawn attention during the preseason.

By Mike Garafolo and Jorge Castillo/The Star-Ledger

Three positions to watch

Cornerback

More specifically, Prince Amukamara. The second-year cornerback was the one Jason Pierre-Paul tossed into the cold tub on the video that has the NFL buzzing and, in the meantime, has solidified himself as a starter opposite Corey Webster. Teammates this week admitted Amukamara has been the target of extra humiliation as the effort to have him develop an edge and swagger continues. They noted he has gained confidence in training camp and it has a resulted in better play, but tonight will be a significant test against the Bears’ potent passing game, and he should see plenty of time on the field.

Left tackle

As we approach the Sept. 5 opener against the Cowboys, Will Beatty’s chances of being the starting left tackle decrease with each day of practice he misses due to a nagging back injury. In his place has been the veteran Sean Locklear, who signed with the team during the offseason and has played right tackle for the majority of his career. Conceivably, the Giants could also decide to flip Locklear and David Diehl, who has exclusively been at right tackle but has spent most of his career on the left side. Either way, Locklear will face a stiff challenge tonight as he tries to protect Eli Manning’s blindside against Julius Peppers.

Wide receiver

It’s a position we were watching for last week and will be keeping a close eye on again tonight as the competition for the No. 3 wide receiver spot remains wide open heading into the most important game of the preseason. Jerrel Jernigan and Rueben Randle were the most impressive last week against the Jets. Jernigan, targeted twice, had two catches for 26 yards, including a 19-yard gain after he eluded a couple defenders. Randle was targeted twice and had a 49-yard catch. Domenik Hixon caught the only ball thrown to him for four yards and Ramses Barden, seemingly running out of time to impress the coaching staff, couldn’t come up with either of his two targets.

Four downs with Hakeem Nicks

1. What have you seen from Rueben Randle so far and what impresses you most about him?

I think he’s ready. I talk with him a lot. He takes a lot of advice. I look at it like I’m here to make this as smooth a transition as you want. I’m here, pick my brain, ask me whatever you need, and he does that. He catches on, he caught on to the offense rather quickly while playing both sides -- the ‘X’ (receiver), the ‘W’ and the ‘Z’ in OTAs. And he was still able to catch on real quick.

2. You do a lot of bouncing around like that when you were a rookie, right? How tough was that?

I did, yeah. And it depends on what kind of offense you come from. He came from a pro-style offense, too, so that helped him out a lot. So I definitely see a similar progression. He came out, as they say, ‘NFL-ready.’ He’s ready to just go out there and make plays.

3. When a young guy like him or you is able to get adjusted quickly, what kind of advantage does that provide?

It allows you to not think as much when you’re out there playing. It eliminates that thinking process and just allows you to go out there and do what you do best, which is play football and let your athletic ability take over. You can see that with Rueben right now.

4. What did you like about his 49-yard catch against the Jets last week?

Specifically, I liked how he attacked the ball in the air. He didn’t wait for it to come to him. The DB was kind of right with him, so he went up and attacked the ball with his hands. That’s what you have to do at this level because there won’t be as much separation as you’re used to (having) in college.

Also, Coughlin already said that David Wilson "will get a lot of snaps". So that's something I'm excited about seeing. This will be the one to really see what the rook can do.

There's certainly plenty to watch. Special teams always produces interesting insight into the hunger meter of a player. The Prince of course is top of the list to watch, but I'm also interested in the D-Line....especially the inside as the outside is a lock. I'd love to see Kuhn step up in a game and make himself a commodity the Giants can't let go. Also, the O-line to see who steps up and acts like a man. I like Petrus and hate to see him cut, but he's gotta step it up a notch I believe. I've been impressed with Will Hill and will keep an eye on him and also the battle between Paysinger and Jones to see which one looks like a real player.

Even the kickoffs are fun to watch as Tynes seems to have gotten a bionic leg installed since last season.

What if the Prince continues to struggle? What is plan B?

No way they'll give up on him without another year or two to find out what he's capable of doing. He's got the tools....just needs to get up to NFL speed. I'm not worried about him. You've got Hosley and Coe on the bench, but they won't see a lot of action this year. I'm far more worried about TT getting hurt again. If he's healthy and stays healthy, we're in good shape.

No way they'll give up on him without another year or two to find out what he's capable of doing. He's got the tools....just needs to get up to NFL speed. I'm not worried about him. You've got Hosley and Coe on the bench, but they won't see a lot of action this year. I'm far more worried about TT getting hurt again. If he's healthy and stays healthy, we're in good shape.

Yeah Prince is still a rookie after missing much of his first year with an injury, at arguably the hardest position to make a transition from College to the NFL.

He isnt going to live up to the potential if we just keep him on the bench, or in the cold tub.

Yeah Prince is still a rookie after missing much of his first year with an injury, at arguably the hardest position to make a transition from College to the NFL.

He isnt going to live up to the potential if we just keep him on the bench, or in the cold tub.

Yeah.....a strike shortened season where he got no practice time and then he ended up hurt. He'll come through in the end. He'll make some dumb mistakes, but that's how a lot of people learn and learn well. Sorta like, "How do you remember your wife's birthday?".......Forget it once!

There's certainly plenty to watch. Special teams always produces interesting insight into the hunger meter of a player. The Prince of course is top of the list to watch, but I'm also interested in the D-Line....especially the inside as the outside is a lock. I'd love to see Kuhn step up in a game and make himself a commodity the Giants can't let go. Also, the O-line to see who steps up and acts like a man. I like Petrus and hate to see him cut, but he's gotta step it up a notch I believe. I've been impressed with Will Hill and will keep an eye on him and also the battle between Paysinger and Jones to see which one looks like a real player.

Even the kickoffs are fun to watch as Tynes seems to have gotten a bionic leg installed since last season.

I keep seeing this. You guys realize the kickoff is no longer at the 30 anymore, correct? Tynes touchback percentage increased 30% (also the league average) last year from the 2010 season to the 2011 season. Like, you should have noticed this last year.

He's still in the bottom half of the league, but he's knocking 40% of his kicks for touchbacks compared to 8% from 2010.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/kickoff-touchback-pct