SportsWrath

He's Baaaaack!!!!

Nas

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/08/giants_hakeem_nicks_activated.html

Giants' Hakeem Nicks activated off PUP list, to return to practice

ALBANY, N.Y. – Hakeem Nicks looked good, really good, while opening up his stride as he ran routes on a side field during practice today.

Tom Coughlin's tone when asked about Nicks indicated the Giants' wide receiver was indeed making very good progress in his rehab from a broken foot.

“We’re getting there,” Coughlin said. “You know how he is. He wants to go, wants to go, wants to go, and I think he’s doing well enough in his drills that it’ll be soon.”

How soon? About 30 minutes later.

The Giants have activated Nicks off the physically-unable-to-perform list 11 weeks and four days after he suffered his injury in an OTA practice on May 24. The team originally set forth a timeline of about 12 weeks for Nicks to recover. Despite rumblings to the contrary he'd be back about halfway through that period, the team's initial forecast held up.

Nicks will be limited in practice the next couple of days and it's unlikely he'll play on Saturday against the Jets. Still, this is very good news for Nicks, who maintained all along he'd be ready for Week 1.

This was originally going to be the practice report entry. Obviously, I had to reshuffle. Give me a few to get the report together.

Mike Garafolo: mgarafolo@starledger.com; twitter.com/MikeGarafolo

he should be resting till he's 100%... he scared Cruz and someone else gonna take his spot or something??.. i know football is cut throat.. but you need to be in condition before going out there with one good leg trying to be hero..

No... he's just ready to go. A broken bone isn't that big of a deal especially compared to much more serious injuries.

Just don't fucking rush him, please. We will survivie a rusty Nicks in weeks 1 through 4. We won't survive an injured Nicks in weeks 9 through 17.

He's not being pushed... he's being eased in... he's right on schedule..

I agree with you on almost everything, Pdub, but on this one, I just don't see the benefit you do. In preseason like this, I just wish they'd sit him an extra week with doing nothing that will put an impact on that foot. I'd like to see him maybe play two quarters of football, in preseason week 3, and that's it before the regular season. Let him get his practice in for that game next week and be full go from there on out. I just think Nicks is just too key, too vital to our success to expose to risk. You take him away and that changes a whole lot of what our offense is capable of.

Hakeem Nicks returns to New York Giants practice

• By Gregg Rosenthal
  • Around The League editor
  • Published: Aug. 21, 2012 at 10:04 a.m.
  • Updated: Aug. 21, 2012 at 10:40 a.m.

The New York Giants have said all along they expect wide receiver Hakeem Nicks to be ready for the season opener -- Sept. 5 against the Dallas Cowboys -- as he recovers from his foot injury. He appears to be on track.

Nicks made his return to a full-squad practice on Monday for the first time since being activated off the PUP list. He only took roughly half the snaps, but Nicks caught a touchdown and looked good making an over-the-shoulder catch during 11-on-11 drills.

"He seemed to be pretty good, seemed to feel good," coach Tom Coughlin said, via The Star-Ledger. "He moved around well and did a good job with it."

It's uncertain if Nicks will play in this week's preseason game against the Chicago Bears, but we would anticipate him getting a few snaps before the season opener.

At running back, Ahmad Bradshaw was able to practice some despite a bruised hand. Giants coach Tom Coughlin's response: "I think he could do more."

(So much for that kinder, gentler Coughlin.)

Perhaps trying to send a message, the Giants gave first-round draft pick David Wilson some snaps with the first team. Coughlin said that was the plan all along, but Wilson has run as the team's No. 4 running back until this point of training camp.