Jump to content
SportsWrath

Terrell Thomas might be back in a month


JMFP
 Share

Recommended Posts

This is some good news....but I'm not banking on anything right now.

 

 

 

 

Tom Coughlin delivered the long-awaited news on cornerback Terrell Thomas and afterward was asked if this was the best-case scenario for the Giants.

 

“I think it is,’’ Coughlin said Monday afternoon following practice at the University at Albany.

 

Thomas is headed back here as soon as possible to begin a rehabilitation program on his right knee, which was feared to have suffered another season-ending injury to his anterior cruciate ligament. Thomas missed the entire 2011 season with a torn right ACL and he went down early in camp this summer with what the Giants reported as another injury to the ACL. If further surgery was needed, his 2012 season would have been over before it started.

 

Thomas on Monday received the news he wanted to hear from a third opinion, renowned orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala. That opinion was in line with what Thomas’ own surgeon, Dr. Arthur Ting in California, and the Giants medical team had been thinking.

 

“He’s coming back to camp, he’ll jump into a rehab program, we’ll watch him very, very closely, we’ll hopefully accelerate his strengthening of the knee and see how soon he can join us and we’ll hope for the very best,’’ Coughlin said.

 

 

Read more: http://www.nypost.co...L#ixzz22ooSQn2m

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fingers crossed.

 

Not to be a dick to T2 but if hesitant prove he can play by the end of camp we should IR him or cut him. We can afford to let go of a good backup CB just to take a gamble on T2s knee.

 

I agree....we need the worst, hope for the best.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You guys are crazy. He needs to be on the field, this season, for the first game. No waiting 3 months into the freaking season for a player we will be letting go of in the near future if he doesn't produce this season or even see the field. If not, he needs to be cut, like Osi said.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You guys are crazy. He needs to be on the field, this season, for the first game. No waiting 3 months into the freaking season for a player we will be letting go of in the near future if he doesn't produce this season or even see the field. If not, he needs to be cut, like Osi said.

Exactly, we have a deep roster and can't afford to keep a guy who is an unknown. Means well have to cut a talented contributor at CB.

 

If I'm TC I make him show me he can play soon before week 1.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think if T2 doesn't make it through the season, he'll be cut and there won't be ANY re-signing necessary, especially with Prince and Hosley developing.

 

I give T2 until week 3 or so...if he can't start by then, and play at a high level, he's off to IR and he'll be cut in the offseason. Hats off to the Giants for giving him a deal that gave the Giants the utmost flexibility while giving T2 a huge opportunity to prove he's completed the rehab process. The roster bonus next offseason will be the decision maker.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think if T2 doesn't make it through the season, he'll be cut and there won't be ANY re-signing necessary, especially with Prince and Hosley developing.

 

I give T2 until week 3 or so...if he can't start by then, and play at a high level, he's off to IR and he'll be cut in the offseason. Hats off to the Giants for giving him a deal that gave the Giants the utmost flexibility while giving T2 a huge opportunity to prove he's completed the rehab process. The roster bonus next offseason will be the decision maker.

 

I'd go the other way. I'd give him more time to make sure he's ready so we can have him towards the latter part of the season and the post-season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd go the other way. I'd give him more time to make sure he's ready so we can have him towards the latter part of the season and the post-season.

latter part of the season might be a moot point if our secondary sucks the first part...just sayin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If he's ready in two weeks, give him two, if he's ready in three give him three. etc. Don't just keep him sitting while he's ready to go.

 

Well yeah, nobody is saying to keep him back if he's ready to go. What's under debate I think is at what point does the team consider him ready to go. When he's cleared to practice, is he cleared for games? When he feels ready to go, is he cleared for all activity? I think that the point is to be extraordinarily careful this time around and take it slower than what's recommended by the docs to err on the side of caution, per se. So if in two weeks, he's cleared to practice, hold him back an additional two weeks simply to allow for strengthening of the ligaments. If he's cleared to practice a month from now, hold him back until week 2 or 3 of the regular season. In other words, make doubly damn sure that he's ready before putting him out there. Sure, it's always a risk and you're always one play away from the end of your season, but approaching it with the most extreme caution is my opinion of the way they need to proceed. That's all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well yeah, nobody is saying to keep him back if he's ready to go. What's under debate I think is at what point does the team consider him ready to go. When he's cleared to practice, is he cleared for games? When he feels ready to go, is he cleared for all activity? I think that the point is to be extraordinarily careful this time around and take it slower than what's recommended by the docs to err on the side of caution, per se. So if in two weeks, he's cleared to practice, hold him back an additional two weeks simply to allow for strengthening of the ligaments. If he's cleared to practice a month from now, hold him back until week 2 or 3 of the regular season. In other words, make doubly damn sure that he's ready before putting him out there. Sure, it's always a risk and you're always one play away from the end of your season, but approaching it with the most extreme caution is my opinion of the way they need to proceed. That's all.

 

 

I totally agree.

 

My first question is whether he can get back to 100%, my next question is when, and the last question is how.

 

If time is required to get Thomas back to his old form (Pro Bowl caliber CB), then the time is worth it.

 

By no means am I saying he should be getting baby treatment.....but it's pretty obvious to me based on his last setback that he's not ready to go yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I totally agree.

 

My first question is whether he can get back to 100%, my next question is when, and the last question is how.

 

If time is required to get Thomas back to his old form (Pro Bowl caliber CB), then the time is worth it.

 

By no means am I saying he should be getting baby treatment.....but it's pretty obvious to me based on his last setback that he's not ready to go yet.

 

Having had my fair share of sports injuries and I don't mean sprained ankles although I had a tone of those... I mean concussions, ligament sprains/partial tares, torn meniscus, torn Achellis, I can tell you that you're never ever 100%.. and I mean ever. Yea you could still play at a high level but to say you're the same person is horseshit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think it's conceivable that he'll be ready to contribute on September 5th. I think Osi is right, they should've just put him on PUP and continued to work on strengthening the joint for awhile longer. But hindsight is 20/20 as they say.

 

The only thing they can do at this point is either carry him on the roster and hope he can contribute maybe in October, at the expense of a guy like Bruce Johnson, Antwuan Molden, or Brandon Bing. I think that is worth doing, assuming the Giants can carry 6 CB's on the final 53, which, in this scenario, would look like:

 

Webby, Thomas, Amukamara, Coe, Tryon, Hosley (not necessarily in that order).

 

Or, you could cut him and use that spot on a guy like Bruce Johnson, Bing, or Molden, and if T2 clears waivers, maybe he's still around a bit later and you can snatch him back up.

 

Scenario one, at least in my opinion, is more preferrable. I think you keep T2 and wait until he's ready... and if you need a corner later (if he eventually does get put on IR), you can probably still get at least one of those guys you had to cut to keep him.

 

It's better than giving up on T2 too soon in favor of a 6th CB that isn't going to play much anyway, and when he does isn't likely to be very good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't see him being ready by the start of the season and cutting him in Sept is a horrible idea based on what is known so far. If he has to take a roster spot and be inactive for half the season so be it. We have players who have shown less and sat on the bench for most of the season.

 

Have to admit that I'm going to LMAO if they decide to cut Shaun Rogers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...