SportsWrath

"Plan B" (now that T2 is out)

JMFP

http://espn.go.com/b...ingency-options

ALBANY, N.Y. -- Terrell Thomas is heading west to consult with Dr. Arthur Ting on his injured right ACL.

Ting performed an allograft reconstruction of the ACL last September and Thomas likely will undergo an arthroscopic procedure to determine the full damage to his knee.

A source said Monday that Thomas' knee has at least a partial tear. Considering this is the third time he has injured his right ACL since 2005, Thomas could miss significant time, if not the entire season. We'll still have to wait for final word.

While we wait, let's take a look at what the Giants might do if Thomas is out indefinitely or for the season.

THE REPLACEMENTS: GM Jerry Reese knew there was a risk with Thomas' knee. That is why Thomas only got $1 million guaranteed in a signing bonus when he re-signed this offseason, and why the Giants have a $6 million option on Thomas next March. It is also why he brought so many cornerbacks into camp. Here's a look at some of the guys who could start opposite Corey Webster:

Amukamara

Prince Amukamara: Reese says his expectation is for Amukamara to play like the 19th overall pick of the 2011 draft. And if Prince does that, he'll be the starter if Thomas is out for the season. It may take some time, though, for Amukamara to win the job. The lockout last year cost him his first offseason of vital classroom time with coaches. He missed pretty much all of camp and most of his rookie season due to a foot injury. So this is his first true year of NFL training and coaching. He has flashed some of his skills so far with an interception and some tight coverage the past couple of days in camp. Prince is the guy the Giants would like to become the starter, but they won't rush him into that spot.

Coe

Michael Coe: The veteran cornerback is attempting a comeback from a season-ending shoulder injury suffered last year. He has pretty much been the guy starting at corner when Thomas wasn't on the field in practice during OTAs, minicamp and training camp. Coe is a solid veteran presence and he might be the front-runner for the job until Prince emerges.

Tryon

Justin Tryon: Tryon is scrappy and quick, works hard and the Giants like him. He is coming off a season-ending broken arm suffered last year. He and Coe have impressed in OTAs and minicamp and he definitely is in the mix to replace Thomas as the starter and could be right there on the depth chart with Coe. Tryon is a good special teams player as well.

Johnson

Bruce Johnson: Johnson was off to a great start at camp last year before he ruptured his Achilles tendon. He is back and has been working with the second-team defense. He is solid and the Giants have always liked him.

Jayron Hosley: The Giants drafted Hosley in the third round this year and Reese likened him to Pacman Jones on the field, as far as how he plays bigger and stronger than his 5-10 frame. Hosley might need more time to get acclimated to the defense and pro game, but he has flashed speed during camp. He also could be a special teams factor eventually. He suffered a laceration to his knee, though, on Monday and required stitches.

Other options in camp (but more likely depth) include Antwaun Molden, Brandon Bing, Dante Hughes and CB/S Janzen Jackson.

Grant

POTENTIAL MOVE: If Thomas is out for the year and the Giants place him on IR, they could always bring back veteran safety Deon Grant. Grant isn't a cornerback, but he was a pivotal piece in Perry Fewell's defense. He would allow the Giants to play their three-safety look again and perhaps use Antrel Rolle on slot receivers again if there isn't a cornerback to emerge that they trust against slot receivers.

Last year, when Thomas and so many other corners were lost for the season, the Giants went with three safeties and Grant would provide them with one more guy to help the coverage team. Grant's knowledge of the defense is excellent and he was one of the most respected leaders in the locker room.

The Giants also could wait to see what else becomes available later in camp and if any cornerbacks are released by other teams. If they don't bring Grant back, they could use Thomas' roster spot to keep another safety like Stevie Brown or Will Hill if Thomas is out for the season.

In the meantime, we'll wait to see the final word with Thomas. Fewell has said in the past that the team had a Plan B in place in case Thomas wasn't ready to come back.

looks like were covered but I would have liked to have kept Arron Ross, and Dave Tollefson......don't get me started on Ballard

STUPID STUPID STUPID to have let them go, and also Manningham

Reese always has to dismantle our SB winning teams to some extent......sometimes the best move is no move at all

You can't keep people who don't want to stay. You also can't keep people you cannot afford to pay. There was a known risk with Terrell Thomas and every other player who has ever been hurt. Sometimes it just doesn't work out.

You can't keep people who don't want to stay. You also can't keep people you cannot afford to pay. There was a known risk with Terrell Thomas and every other player who has ever been hurt. Sometimes it just doesn't work out.

And sometimes you don't realize how good you have it, woo people to stay, and show some love.........and re-structure a few contracts

This is the second time Reese has let significant players walk after winning a trophy

Oh cmon.

Randle and co are highly likely to be upgrades over Manningham.

Wilson over Jacobs at this point is safe to say.

Aaron Ross was good for us, but he's already 29 and T2 was the better option on paper. Add in the beast Webster plus a guy like Pronce who has elite talent and throw in Hosely and about 7 scrubs with some talent fighting for a couple spots.

We are fine. I knew this was a possibility.

And sometimes you don't realize how good you have it, woo people to stay, and show some love.........and re-structure a few contracts

This is the second time Reese has let significant players walk after winning a trophy

I'm not going to argue with Jack on this one. I think Ross was more important than people admit.

I'm not going to argue with Jack on this one. I think Ross was more important than people admit.

Ross is in London watching his wife compete instead of in camp with his new teammates learning the new system.

I like Ross and always defended him, but he's expendable at 3 years $15 mill when you got guys like Cruz, Nicks, JPP, Tuck, Joseph, Phillips etc who need big raises soon.

Lots of people are sleeping on Justin Tryon. I was shocked that the Colts cut him mid-season and we got him. He is a good player.

I think we've got enough depth regardless of T2's injury status. Webster, Amukamara, Tryon, and Hosley in the slot. Coe will make it on specials.

Tolefson might turn out to the be the biggest loss of all

what did he have 5 sacks and 2 forced fumbles last year playing spot duty?

You don't let guys like that walk

yeah ya do wen you know down the line jpp, cruz, and whoever else are gonna get big time deals.

Tolefson might turn out to the be the biggest loss of all

what did he have 5 sacks and 2 forced fumbles last year playing spot duty?

You don't let guys like that walk

Possibly, but let's see what Trattou, Tracy, and Ojomo have to offer. Remember now that Kiwi will see some time at DE. Tollefson is another guy that is expendable.

It's not like we lost any key can't lose guys. All

Of the guys can be replaced if Reese made the right moves which I think he did. The guy I'll miss most is probly Jacobs just for his insane pass blocking at RB. We have nobody that can pass block like him, but again this is a small issue to worry about and Wilson brings more to the table overall. He's an explosive dynamic, modern, 2012 model fresh new toy for Eli to play with.

were they going to get them in 2012?

Tolefson was an important cog in the D Line rotation

He was Jack, I agree to some extent. He came in fresh and hungry with a high motor and made some plays. It will suck if there's nobody to do that for us and keep our guys fresh,

But I have hope in our young guys to see what they can do. Young guys are hungry and athletic, sometimes you find ones worth keeping. Out of Ojomo, Trattou, and Tracy I think one of those guys can play in a poor mans Tolly Role.

Tuck and Osi are in incredible shape And should be good for more snaps, JPP is just a beast I hope his conditioning is still awesome with the weight gain.

Marvin Austin can make some noise too, he can line up at DE sometimes as well. Same with CC.

Im not losing any sleep over these losses.

We should have the guys on our roster to replace them and keep the starters fresh and eager.

Jesus Christ.

You can't pay everyone. Learn the fucking salary cap, faggot.

Osi, this is not directed towards you.

Lol I can tell.

Agreed on Tryon, hes another guy that has the potential to fill in as a 3rd or 4th CB. I was shocked when the Colts cut him.

I hope Bruce Johnson's achilles is healed up, he's a nice zone corner. Between him, the rookie Hosley, Coe, who seems to be playing well, and a 1st round pick Amukamara, I think the team already is prepared for life without T2.

The problem in 2011 wasn't merely that Thomas went down.... its that Thomas went down, then Amukamara, then Bruce Johnson, then Coe... and then the Giants start playing safeties at cornerback.

And people wonder why they were 9-7 in the regular season.... :facepalm:

Not that important. We have 2 young CBs who should get playing time. Bleedin pointed out Prince should just start (granted he is in training camp)... and the Rook we got this year should be fine at the back up spot. I never liked Ross... he was ok.. not great.. nothing spectacular... and oh we couldn't afford him anyway.