SportsWrath

The Barden Ticker

Treehugger

• 2 weeks later...

So, Barden started Week 1 as the #3. This week he was #4 with Hixon seeing the field before him. Will Randle or Jernigan see reps in Week 3 before Barden hits the field? I bet at least one of them does.

This week Barden gave a perfect example of what I mean by him "playing small". He drops a pass in which he has inside position and about 7" on his defender but somehow still lets the other guy in at the ball. Then on a streak (Barden's "correct" use, right?!") he doesn't even make it to the ball or out of his defender's shadow. With Randle making some nice catches Barden playing his way down the roster. I think we keep Stanback too due to both his WR and ST play.

If football was a trading card game then Barden would be a prize card in your deck. In the real world he's crap.

You know still to this day I never understood the fascination with Barden.

Third round pick out of a no name division, the only reason he did anything was because he had two feet on the tallest CB in college.

Outside of his height there isnt to much to like about him as a football player, even then it's obvious he doesnt know how to use his height to his advantage.

At the same time, I was one of the few who kept saying "This is the year Moss will break out", atleast I stuck with Webster to make up for it.

I think Barden needs to make a couple of big plays in this game against Bears' corners that are actual players, not their scrubs that won't be there week 1.

Or else, I think Barden is done. He has to make the routine plays, like that ball he dropped on the slant. And even more of an indictment, is the fade Tree mentioned where he never got off the press coverage to get to the spot. You can't be a 6'6" whipping boy for opposing DB's and make this team.

He's had enough time. I don't know if that means Stanback (or David Douglas, who is also playing well) makes it. Personally, I think there's a halfway decent chance that the Giants just start the season with 5 WR's this year, Nicks, Cruz, Hixon, Jernigan, and Randle, and keep an extra corner or linebacker.

He's had enough time. I don't know if that means Stanback (or David Douglas, who is also playing well) makes it. Personally, I think there's a halfway decent chance that the Giants just start the season with 5 WR's this year, Nicks, Cruz, Hixon, Jernigan, and Randle, and keep an extra corner or linebacker.

I bet they don't, just because of Nicks' foot.

You know still to this day I never understood the fascination with Barden.

Third round pick out of a no name division, the only reason he did anything was because he had two feet on the tallest CB in college.

Outside of his height there isnt to much to like about him as a football player, even then it's obvious he doesnt know how to use his height to his advantage.

At the same time, I was one of the few who kept saying "This is the year Moss will break out", atleast I stuck with Webster to make up for it.

didn't he break Jerry Rice's record 1-AA records or some shit, thought I remembered seeing something about that.

But you're right, he plays like not only a much smaller player, a lazy player.

At this point I might as well just pay Treehugger his dollar. Dude hasn't done a damn thing to really distinguish himself at this point.

Though I have to admit I couldn't tell if Barden ran the wrong route or Eli just tossed up a shit ball on that second one... usually I'm giving Eli the benefit of the doubt but after that horrible INT I'm willing to concede he may have just been off.

At this point I might as well just pay Treehugger his dollar. Dude hasn't done a damn thing to really distinguish himself at this point.

Though I have to admit I couldn't tell if Barden ran the wrong route or Eli just tossed up a shit ball on that second one... usually I'm giving Eli the benefit of the doubt but after that horrible INT I'm willing to concede he may have just been off.

someone posted it somewhere here, but eli said he was trying to throw it away and didn't get enough under it.

Pdouble was talking about the throw over Randle's head that was picked off, but Seph was comparing the two plays, as both were "overthrows". Personally, I don't believe either were overthrows. Barden completely got held up on that timing play because he couldn't beat the press, and the ball was probably where it was supposed to be.

The Randle play I think Eli expected him to angle toward the sideline and deep, not just a straight out route, so he through it where he thought Randle was going. I don't see Eli missing the sideline by that much, and I really believe he was just protecting the rook with the comment about trying to get it out of bounds and throwing it short. No doubt they'll get on the same page.

100% though, the "overthrow" of Barden was completely Ramses' fault, though.

If you keep handing me money like this I'm going to need to start declaring you on my taxes.

Week 3 Depth Chart/Order of Appearance:

(Nicks)

Cruz

Hixon

Randle

Barden

Jernigan/Stanback (I think they first appeared together on the same play)

The other guys

The coaches also ran several 2/3 WR, 2 TE plays with Bennett going deep before Barden saw the field. Barden also owes Douglas lunch for helping to negate his big punt return with a hold. He did however play like a real WR for the first time of ever and totally bitched CB Tillman on his TD route; I'll give him credit for that. He may have saved his job last night but I think Randle has claimed the #4 spot on the dept chart and he's battling Jernigan (who's slipped), Stanback (good STs) and Douglas (who's a lock just for STs alone) for the remaining spots.

Week 3 Depth Chart/Order of Appearance:

(Nicks)

Cruz

Hixon

Randle

Barden

Jernigan/Stanback (I think they first appeared together on the same play)

The other guys

The coaches also ran several 2/3 WR, 2 TE plays with Bennett going deep before Barden saw the field. Barden also owes Douglas lunch for helping to negate his big punt return with a hold. He did however play like a real WR for the first time of ever and totally bitched CB Tillman on his TD route; I'll give him credit for that. He may have saved his job last night but I think Randle has claimed the #4 spot on the dept chart and he's battling Jernigan (who's slipped), Stanback (good STs) and Douglas (who's a lock just for STs alone) for the remaining spots.

Yeah....that was discussed last night. Barden was called for a hold, yet he wasn't even on the field. These temporary refs have a hard time getting things straight. I'm still waiting for one of the refs to call roughing the passer on Eli after he gets his head taken off. Officially, it was Will Hill who actually got caught holding.

My first thought was, "I can't believe Barden negated Douglas' run with a hold....especially since TC doesn't put Barden in on special teams". Then I found out the refs screwed up and Barden was on the bench when getting called for the hold.

Ive been very impress with how Douglas has played.

I agree. He's played like a man possessed since coming to camp. Almost every practice something good is said about him by the coaches. He might not be the next Cruz, but he sure knows how to battle for the ball and hang on to it. Also, he's very self-disciplined and smart and understands the need to have his timing and routes down to perfection. He doesn't rely totally on athleticism (the downfall of many promising WRs).....which tells me, he has a good shot at making the team. I'm pulling for him. From all I've read, coaches like him and that says a lot because those guys don't fawn over players or hand out many compliments.

I think that WR looks a little somethin' like this going into the last preaseason game.

Nicks-Cruz-Hixon-Randel-JJ-Douglas-Barden

Hixon gets the nod over Randel simply because he's been around longer and is more familiar with the offense. That said, I believe Randel moves up to #3 by the end of the season.

I believe that the Giants coaches are hoping to see JJ now take the 4th WR spot as opposed to their hopes for his taking the 3rd spot. JJ, I feel, is moving in the wrong direction on the depth chart. Randel up, JJ down.

Douglas sticks for his ST play first and foremost. While he's shown decent ability at WR against other teams' backups, let's hope he's not our #1 on any given week. He's a guy that is a big time effort guy and will keep guys like JJ and Hixon on their toes. I also think he's worth keeping until Hixon is on his way out, presumably due to age, health, or both.

If we only keep 6 WR, I have to believe Barden is the odd man out. Barden, given the talent already on the team, is a situational player at best. I'd really only ever foresee him making the field in a 4 WR set, inside the 20, where we could take advantage of his size...over that of a JJ or Hixon. So while I think he showed some potential in the Bears game, unless he sets the world on fire tonight, or unless the Giants are looking at 7 WR in their 53 man roster...Barden will be released on Friday.

gmenroc, there's simply too many other positions that are thin or have some injury concerns to carry 7 receivers.

I think Barden is as good as gone. He's had a good moment or two, but he's also shown that he has developed little polish or refinement in his game since he's been here. They simply can't keep a guy who isn't valuable to specials and isn't likely to be a factor in the receiving game either.

I think Hixon has certainly earned his spot on the team. He's been there, done that. I while the injury risk is a concern, even if the Giants let him go and need a receiver later, it's likely they will pick up a guy like the did in years' past like Hagan or Michael Clayton. Barden isn't adding that much to us at this point. The time has passed for him to reach his potential. He's a free agent after this season, anyway, so his time was already coming to an end.

I think Douglas' ability on specials gets him in over Barden, and I think JJ gets another season based on this being only his second year.

The Giants won't keep 7 receivers because they are going to need 9 OL. They are going to need at minimum, 6 corners. Not enough spots for everyone.

gmenroc, there's simply too many other positions that are thin or have some injury concerns to carry 7 receivers.

I think Barden is as good as gone. He's had a good moment or two, but he's also shown that he has developed little polish or refinement in his game since he's been here. They simply can't keep a guy who isn't valuable to specials and isn't likely to be a factor in the receiving game either.

I think Hixon has certainly earned his spot on the team. He's been there, done that. I while the injury risk is a concern, even if the Giants let him go and need a receiver later, it's likely they will pick up a guy like the did in years' past like Hagan or Michael Clayton. Barden isn't adding that much to us at this point. The time has passed for him to reach his potential. He's a free agent after this season, anyway, so his time was already coming to an end.

I think Douglas' ability on specials gets him in over Barden, and I think JJ gets another season based on this being only his second year.

The Giants won't keep 7 receivers because they are going to need 9 OL. They are going to need at minimum, 6 corners. Not enough spots for everyone.

Oh, I agree 100%...my point was simply that despite Barden's play against the Bears, his value to the team puts him 7th at his position. I can't say he's the 7th best WR on our team...because honestly, I think he's a better WR than Douglas, maybe Hixon, and maybe JJ...but the value as a player on the roster isn't there.

Should Barden be the odd man out, does he clear waivers?

Not sure if Barden clears waivers. You have to think there will be some veterans out there at that position that could get cut. And if a team needs a guy to come in and learn the playbook quickly to contribute, I think they would go with a more experienced, known commodity. So I could see Barden clearing waivers, yes.

Not sure if Barden clears waivers. You have to think there will be some veterans out there at that position that could get cut. And if a team needs a guy to come in and learn the playbook quickly to contribute, I think they would go with a more experienced, known commodity. So I could see Barden clearing waivers, yes.

I think Barden is out as well unless he absolutely sets the world on fire tonight. He needs at least four big plays to stick, and a TD.

That being said, I could easily see him staying in NY with the Jets, who have ZERO red-zone targets right now. Receivers with his kind of height usually end up finding a home somewhere.