SportsWrath

As I sit here watching the NFL yearbook highlights from last year

RandolphScott

and thinking about this upcoming season, I think that this season will be the Giants best season ever.

Better than 1986 and 1990.

The Giants have a top 5 ELITE quarterback in Eli Manning, set an NFL record for 4th quarter touchdown passes last year with 15, set a record for most passing yards throw in the 4th quarter. Simply put, as departed running back Brandon Jacobs said about him: "he's an assassin, the baby face assassin."

The Giants have depth at the running back position in Ahmad Bradshaw, explosive new rookie David Wilson and a reliable DJ/Danny Ware. I say he's reliable because he isn't the best, but he's a good blocker and scored 3 two point conversions on the same play last year. SAME PLAY TWICE ON BACK TO BACK WEEKS.

When Hakeem Nicks returns, with Victor Cruz and guys like Rueben Randal (who I believe will win the 3rd wide out position in camp) Dominik Hixon (hopefully he stays healthy so I don't have to turn and cough when a punt is being kicked to us. I don't believe Ramses Barden will make the team (sorry Seph) just because of depth and his inability to stay healthy and actually catch a football. The Giants coaches have also raved about Dan DePalma who was on our practice squad last year, he's a guy to watch. The Giants defensive backs have also said DePalma is the quickest wide out on the team.

The tight ends? Well it sucked to lose Jake Ballard to the Patriots, but lets not get carried away here...he was a good player for us, I wish him well. Right now the starter is Martellus Bennett who is being backed up by Bear Pascoe and Adrian Robinson, this year's 4th round pick who's very raw, but talented. Travis Beckum will be on PUP till week 6. The Giants don't use the tight end often, just hope that Bennett can put up the same numbers as Ballard did last year. Bennett's blocking is superb though. That should help the running game and Eli Manning alot.

The offensive line is where I believe the Giants have the most questions. Will William Beatty's back hold up during the course of the season? He is also recovering from a eye injury that put him on IR last year. I think Kevin Boothe was the Giants best offensive lineman last year, he's starting at left guard. Mitch Petrus will back him up, who is a beast in the running game, but wasn't a great pass protector when he started games last year. David Bass and Chris Snee are the incumbents at center and guard. Bass battled neck and head injuries while Snee battled through numerous elbow aliments that hampered his play. These two need to have much better year this year. I won't be asking David Diehl for a ride anytime soon, but it looks like he and James Brewer are going to battle it out for the starting right tackle job. Giants also signed veteran Sean Locklear and drafted guys Matt McCants and Brandon Mosely for depth purposes.

The defensive line is an embarrassing of riches. Guys like JPP, Tuck, Osi, swing man Kiwanuka make an offensive line quiver when it's 2nd and 3rd and long. For the first time, all these guys are healthy at the same time. The sky is the limit for JPP, whom I believe will be the defensive player of the year this season. Canty and Linval Joseph are starting at defensive tackle, two big guys and I believe Joseph will have a breakout season this year. Marvin Austin can bring quick penetration to the DT spot, but he hasn't played a meaningful down of football in nearly 2 years. Perry Fewell has stated that if Austin can do what he is supposed to, then this defense can be really, really scary.

For the first time in my lifetime, the Giants actually have linebackers. Well, they've always had linebackers..but not as good as the crop we've got now. Boley had his best season as a Giant last year and we've managed to not get killed by tight ends as much as we used too. Boley gets credit for that. THE WARDEN Chase Blackburn starts at middle linebacker after sitting on his couch for most of last season and leading the Giants to the Superbowl victory. He may very well be a backup though. Mark Herzlich and Greg Jones are going to challenge him for the MLB spot neck and neck. Kiwi plays our joker position and the Giants have ultra athletic Jaquain Williams for nickle and dime packages. Also look for Keith Rivers to make an impact, traded to the Giants for a 6th rounder...he was playing well before Hines Ward cheap shotted him and ended his season. He is injured alot, but it's a low risk..high reward trade.

Defensive backs. Corey Webster is the best corner that you've never heard of. Terrell Thomas is back and healthy, as is Prince Amukamara from his foot injury that cost him most of last year. Thomas does take some gambles and he does get beat alot, in my opinion anyone who says he is the Giants best corner is kidding themselves. Thomas is, however our best tackling corner and that's by a mile. I'm excited to see what a healthy Amukamara can bring to the team. Would be great to have two great corners on the same team. He's got all the tools that you need and was a shutdown corner in college. Michael Coe, Justin Tryon, 3rd round pick Jaryon Hosely (who plays more of a slot type of corner) are my picks to be the backups. Some good special teamers as well, especially Tryon.

The safties. Antrel Rolle and Kenny Phillips are the unquestioned starters, but the Giants don't have much depth at the safety position. Tyler Sash is more of an in the box safety that a coverage safety. I think it would say a lot for guys like Sash, Will Hill and Chris Horton if the Giants re-signed Deon Grant during training camp. I'd hate to give up on Sash on his 2nd year though and I do believe Will Hill and Sash will be the backups at safety. Will Hill could surprise some people if he keeps his head in the correct place and not on twitter.

Special teams are solid. Tynes is good and Weatherford enjoyed his best season as a pro. Zak DeOssie is probably one of the best long snappers in the game and that makes me very happy.

With that being said, I do really believe that this will be the greatest Giants season of them all. We've got all the tools that a team needs to win a Superbowl and I think we'll repeat and beat the New England Patriots again in 'Nawlins.

ALL IN.

Edging towards being over-optimistic if you ask me. I agree that confidence this year is, and should be, higher than last...but the offensive line is a real concern, the secondary hinges on T2's return, and while we've heard/seen glimpses of David Wilson...he hasn't done anything on gameday just yet. We have reason to be excited and we have reason to be happy about the moves we made in the offseason...but let's keep our emotions a bit in check.

Great write-up, GG! I was nodding my head in agreement through all of that. We all just have to pray that we don't suffer the major injuries this camp/exhibition. I know some are going to happen, but hopefully not to any of our starters.

A lot of break out candidates. Guys that could turn into stars like Wilson, Austin, Amukamara, and Bennett are here. More stability at linebacker and I'm anxious to see what kind of ability Rivers has. Not all of our pick ups are going to turn into monsters, but realistically, even if none of them do, we don't have any major losses from last season's Super Bowl winning team! So if just 1 or 2 of these guys step up and we uncover a gem... then it makes a championship team even more dangerous. I agree, I think this is a 10+ win team. We have a helluva tough schedule, so I'm not saying we go 14-2 or anything. But I think this team has what it takes to win this division.

About Keith Rivers, nobody around here (I live in Cincinnati) really understands what happened to him, myself included. He's had a bunch of contact injuries, but he played well the few times he's had any continuity on the field. Some say he played soft after the Hines Ward hit, but if thats all it is then a change of scenery may be just what he needs, like Domenick Hixon when he came over from Denver. I've got a good feeling about him.

I'm less optimistic about Terrell Thomas. He was quality though, very nice player... if he comes back as the same guy he was before the injury then the Giants have one hell of a set of DBs; I'm more comfortable with the Webster-(healthy)Thomas-Amukamara-Rolle-Phillips backfield then any as long as I've been watching the Giants.

I usually don't go crazy over players, but recently I've been guilty with JPP. I'm not sure if I saw him play more than a few snaps against pro players before I was set with Reggie White comparisons, and I'm sure people thought I was crazy - I did too - but it turns out that he's one hell of a player. Remains to be seen if he's truly in White's class, but he's off to a good start.

I usually tend towards the doom and gloom, but I found myself agreeing with almost everything, GG. I feel better about this team than I did about the 2008 Giants.

Great write-up, GG! I was nodding my head in agreement through all of that. We all just have to pray that we don't suffer the major injuries this camp/exhibition. I know some are going to happen, but hopefully not to any of our starters.

A lot of break out candidates. Guys that could turn into stars like Wilson, Austin, Amukamara, and Bennett are here. More stability at linebacker and I'm anxious to see what kind of ability Rivers has. Not all of our pick ups are going to turn into monsters, but realistically, even if none of them do, we don't have any major losses from last season's Super Bowl winning team! So if just 1 or 2 of these guys step up and we uncover a gem... then it makes a championship team even more dangerous. I agree, I think this is a 10+ win team. We have a helluva tough schedule, so I'm not saying we go 14-2 or anything. But I think this team has what it takes to win this division.

Agreed....

My biggest questions:

Will Baas earn his contract? He needs to improve from last season.

Will Diehl be effective at RT?

Can Beatty stay healthy, and take another step forward at LT?

Will Rivers pan out at LB?

Can T2 regain his old form?

Edging towards being over-optimistic if you ask me. I agree that confidence this year is, and should be, higher than last...but the offensive line is a real concern, the secondary hinges on T2's return, and while we've heard/seen glimpses of David Wilson...he hasn't done anything on gameday just yet. We have reason to be excited and we have reason to be happy about the moves we made in the offseason...but let's keep our emotions a bit in check.

This

you need to watch his interview.......he is the keystone of that defense and no Herzlichs or Rivers are taking his job

Maybe in 6-8 years from now

Jack. You know I enjoy your nutty post and everything giants are entertaining to me but I think Blackburn gonna loose his job this season.

Let's bet your social security check on it!!!

When Hakeem Nicks returns, with Victor Cruz and guys like Rueben Randal (who I believe will win the 3rd wide out position in camp) Dominik Hixon (hopefully he stays healthy so I don't have to turn and cough when a punt is being kicked to us. I don't believe Ramses Barden will make the team (sorry Seph) just because of depth and his inability to stay healthy and actually catch a football. The Giants coaches have also raved about Dan DePalma who was on our practice squad last year, he's a guy to watch. The Giants defensive backs have also said DePalma is the quickest wide out on the team.

This kid knows what he's talking about.

Jack. You know I enjoy your nutty post and everything giants are entertaining to me but I think Blackburn gonna loose his job this season.

Let's bet your social security check on it!!!

I'll bet you a bottle of Tequilla........he's the brains of the operation apparently....who knew? I got in a fight with Ross Tucker last night on Sirius over Tebow

still smarting from his tongue lashing.....hes another jemope who has us out of the playoffs 3rd in the NFC East

• 4 months later...