SportsWrath

toomer says romo is better than eli

Herc

ESPN.com: NFL [Print without images]espn.gif

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Amani Toomer favors Tony Romo

By Calvin Watkins and Matt Ehalt

ESPN.com

Former New York Giants wide receiver Amani Toomer says Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo is better than Giants quarterback Eli Manning.

What makes this interesting is that Toomer played with Manning for three seasons in New York.

941.jpg

If I wanted a guy that is going to throw less interceptions and be more productive, higher completion percentage, I'm going to go with Tony Romo.” -- Ex-wide receiver Amani Toomer

"Tony Romo is probably, if you look at it, statistically, he's probably the best quarterback in the NFC East," Toomer said on the "Movin' the Chains" show on SiriusXM NFL Radio. "You look at Eli Manning and what he does in the fourth quarter, but you talk about consistency, talking about 31 touchdowns and only 10 interceptions, that guy (Romo) can play."

Romo is 18-19 in his career against the NFC East and 5-7 against the Giants, including three losses at Cowboys Stadium.

Manning, fresh off his second Super Bowl title, is 26-20 versus the NFC East and 9-6 against the Cowboys. He never has lost at Cowboys Stadium.

"I'm talking about for me, if I wanted a guy that is going to throw less interceptions and be more productive, higher completion percentage, I'm going to go with Tony Romo," Toomer said.

Yet, the receiver backtracked slightly when told of Romo's late-game struggles.

Manning has 21 fourth-quarter comebacks and 25 game-winning drives, with four of the victories coming against the Cowboys, including one this past season.

Of Romo's 13 fourth-quarter comebacks, only one has come against the Giants.

More on the Cowboys

dal.gif

Calvin Watkins, Tim MacMahon and Todd Archer have the Dallas Cowboys blanketed.

Blog » ESPN Dallas »

All-time Cowboys photo.png

"At crunch time, he's not as good as Eli," Toomer said. "But every other time, he's pretty darn good."

Toomer did not address Manning's 2-0 edge over Romo in Super Bowls. Manning has eight playoff wins in his career, including a road victory in Dallas, compared to Romo's one.

While Manning is undefeated in NFC title games, Romo has yet to reach one. Manning also has the head-to-head edge against Romo, winning the past five starts against him.

NFL players also would seem to disagree with Toomer.

In the NFL Network's "Top 100" list voted on by the players, Manning came in at No. 31, ranking him as the fifth-best quarterback in the league. Romo was ranked 91st, putting him as the 12th-best QB.

Giants public relations director Pat Hanlon, who is not shy about tweeting his thoughts, not surprisingly took the side of the Giants' quarterback. He retweeted a tweet about Toomer's comments asking whether Romo was better and added, "QB or Golfer?" at the end. Romo is known to be a good golfer.

Giants cornerback Terrell Thomas, a former teammate of Toomer, also backed his quarterback, tweeting: "Man toomer my dog and a great giant, helped me a lot as a young rook but aint no way romo better then Eli...both good QB's but... Well."

Giants blog

nyg.gif Looking for more information on Big Blue? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog

Toomer's comments could draw the ire of Giants fans, who did not react well to Tiki Barber after he criticized Manning after the running back's retirement in 2006. When Barber, perhaps the franchise's greatest running back, was inducted into the team's Ring of Honor last year, the crowd serenaded him with boos for his negative comments about Manning and his other rips on coach Tom Coughlin.

Defensive end Osi Umenyiora wouldn't be surprised if Toomer is treated the same way.

"They will be booing my guy Toomer at Giants Stadium," Umenyiora tweeted at ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. "That we can agree on."

Manning and the Giants will host Romo's Cowboys in the first game of the season on Sept. 5.

makes you wonder if there is some beef. even if he thinks they are close or romo is slightly better you don't go out of your way to say something like that unless you are trying to send a passive aggressive message

Giants public relations director Pat Hanlon, who is not shy about tweeting his thoughts, not surprisingly took the side of the Giants' quarterback. He retweeted a tweet about Toomer's comments asking whether Romo was better and added, "QB or Golfer?" at the end. Romo is known to be a good golfer.

This was funny.

But you know.. Toomer is saying based on Stats of completions, TDs, and INTs.. Toomer is better... what I say is..based on overall QB performance especially coming up big when it counts, no one is even close to Eli.

I bet over 80% of the Cowboys fans would take Eli even up for Romo....period. ...and I bet less then 1% fo the Giants fans would take that same trade....there is a reason for that...and its got nothing to do with your completion to Int ratio. Its the difference between going balls deep and finger banging. .....

C. Wagon

This came from the NFL Radio on Sirius.

It was a debate that Amani was part of. And Amani's argument is pretty much based on stats and consistency. Which he makes some good points on. Romo is pretty consistent stats wise in his completion percentage, TD/INT ratio, yards per attempt.

Compared to Eli's stats which tend to be all over the place.

He did go on to say that say Eli is a great QB but from a consistency/Stats perspective Romo is a better QB

First of all. I'm a Giants fan. But anyone who ever play fantasy football would always pick Homo over Eli due to stats. But when it comes to the actual game. Eli hands downs. That late game confidence is unmatched. Unlike homo, you can see his hands shakes sweaty and unsure what the fuck is going on.

I ain't mad at toomer. He's right. And never compare him to tiki. Tiki came straight out trying to start shit. Now the only tv career he has is selling infermercials for adult diapers.

First of all. I'm a Giants fan. But anyone who ever play fantasy football would always pick Homo over Eli due to stats. But when it comes to the actual game. Eli hands downs. That late game confidence is unmatched. Unlike homo, you can see his hands shakes sweaty and unsure what the fuck is going on.

I ain't mad at toomer. He's right. And never compare him to tiki. Tiki came straight out trying to start shit. Now the only tv career he has is selling infermercials for adult diapers.

Tiki is the greatest RB in Giants history BY FAR

Lay off Tiki.......liking Coughlin is NOT a necessity to be in the Giants HOF......he's an old Crumudgeon with a great staff and even better players

George Costanza could be the HC of the Giants, and the results would be the same

When Tiki made his comments about Eli, Eli was not a good QB or a great leader........Tiki might have woken our sleepy boy wonder up a bit with those comments

How quickly we forget all the bad Decembers under Coughlin, and embarrassing loses to Andy Reid, who every game we play against Phill, Andy pulls Coughliins pants to his knees with a trick play or two.

Two SB wins by the skin of our teeth does not wash all that away wholesale

Lay off Tiki.......liking Coughlin is NOT a necessity to be in the Giants HOF......he's an old Crumudgeon with a great staff and even better players

George Costanza could be the HC of the Giants, and the results would be the same

When Tiki made his comments about Eli, Eli was not a good QB or a great leader........Tiki might have woken our sleepy boy wonder up a bit with those comments

How quickly we forget all the bad Decembers under Coughlin, and embarrassing loses to Andy Reid, who every game we play against Phill, Andy pulls Coughliins pants to his knees with a trick play or two.

December 2011

http://www.sportswra...ndpost&p=640440

Jacky-

"Get Fewell and Coughlin some of those Brown shipping boxes and a few rolls of tape............and send them packing after we lose t the Jets and are eliminated

and get Tiki under contract for 2012..........maybe bring Fassel back as OC, and Spags as DC"

Not only did you want Coughlin and Fewell gone but you even said to bring in Fassel.

Now that we have won a second superbowl both Gilly and Fewell are "great staff" who are obviously carrying Coughlin.

Do you actually think for yourself at any moment in your life? Or do you just make shit up as you go along?

You consider them great co-ordinators?

you would not rather have Spags back? Maybe the Fassell comment was off base but not ridiculous............we trailed the league in rushing last year

Statistically we were not a great team in anything but sacks and passing.

We are not yet a DOMINANT team but certainly exciting and good...........I think with Tiki onboard last year things would have been better but Coughlin could not swallow his pride

Eh whatever. Toomer has to say something that creates controversy just like every other former NFL player.

I think its kinda funny that he's looking at statistics nowadays, maybe he should checkout his statistics and start comparing his career to other receivers. Probably have less to say about that, got nothing but love for the job Toomer did as a player.

Eh whatever. Toomer has to say something that creates controversy just like every other former NFL player.

I think its kinda funny that he's looking at statistics nowadays, maybe he should checkout his statistics and start comparing his career to other receivers. Probably have less to say about that, got nothing but love for the job Toomer did as a player.

Believe it or not he talked about how he was not really that good at the beginning of his career in that same segment

Or, maybe, he was a young quarterback learning a new offense, struggling behind a shoddy, piece-meal offensive line and fighting for control over the offense with ego-maniacs like Tiki, Shockey, and....apparently Amani Toomer. Naw, Tiki's gotta be right,....I mean, he scored that what, 94 yard TD against KC that one year or something? Let's not forget, he led many a Giants team to collapse, as well, with his constant fumbling EARLY ON IN HIS CAREER.

But no, Tiki's right, Eli couldn't lead a line of 9 year olds down the school hallway. Amani's right, too, these last several years, when Eli has been THE focal point of the offense....THE guy in NY.....he's been SO INCREDIBLY inconsistent. :rolleyes:

Amani Toomer has no point at all here and he's absolutely incorrect. Throwing more touchdown passes in a season does not necessarily make one QB better than another. His argument lacks any logic or consideration of the two quarterbacks and teams in question.

Or, maybe, he was a young quarterback learning a new offense, struggling behind a shoddy, piece-meal offensive line and fighting for control over the offense with ego-maniacs like Tiki, Shockey, and....apparently Amani Toomer. Naw, Tiki's gotta be right,....I mean, he scored that what, 94 yard TD against KC that one year or something? Let's not forget, he led many a Giants team to collapse, as well, with his constant fumbling EARLY ON IN HIS CAREER.

But no, Tiki's right, Eli couldn't lead a line of 9 year olds down the school hallway. Amani's right, too, these last several years, when Eli has been THE focal point of the offense....THE guy in NY.....he's been SO INCREDIBLY inconsistent. :rolleyes:

Amani Toomer has no point at all here and he's absolutely incorrect. Throwing more touchdown passes in a season does not necessarily make one QB better than another. His argument lacks any logic or consideration of the two quarterbacks and teams in question.

Your the one that is wrong. YOu are taking a sound byte and extrapolating from that one Amani Said.

Amani was very careful in when saying this that he referenced Stats and Consistency

And if you Weigh those two QB's on Stats and Conistency Romo is the better QB. Period. That is all he said. And the whole thing started over him defending Romo from his own fan base.

Romo is not a bad QB. he is actually a very good QB.

But Eli is way more clutch when the pressue is on.

Your the one that is wrong. YOu are taking a sound byte and extrapolating from that one Amani Said.

Amani was very careful in when saying this that he referenced Stats and Consistency

And if you Weigh those two QB's on Stats and Conistency Romo is the better QB. Period. That is all he said. And the whole thing started over him defending Romo from his own fan base.

Romo is not a bad QB. he is actually a very good QB.

But Eli is way more clutch when the pressue is on.

Yeah, because I'm going to take a guy word for it who very obviously doesn't even watch the shit he's analyzing.

"Yet, the receiver backtracked slightly when told of Romo's late-game struggles."

More like "uhhh, how is Tony Romo at actually winning games and throwing touchdown passes outside of garbage time compared to when he does throw interceptions, they aren't like, uhmmm ya know, straight to the other team's end zone to end the game, because ya know, I only look at stat lines now"

Like he had no clue about them, previously. His is a clown statement and in no way encapsulates what it actually means to be a quarterback OR an NFL analyst. LMAO.

Again, he has no point whatsoever. Touchdowns and yardage are pretty but if you aren't consistently contributing to winning the game, even stat-wise, you aren't better because your good stats are garbage when your bad stats (costly interceptions, constantly fumbling every time a d-lineman breathes on you, etc.) completely negate any chance you had of winning the game.

I'll take into consideration the full gamut of differences between Manning's and Romo's situations (again, like having a shit team his first several years and no one besides Toomer to throw the ball to), the offensive styles, the fact that situational stats (ya know, the ones that actually contribute to you winning the game) are completely dominated by Eli, the fact that Romo has had probably the best safety outlet in football in Jason Witten his entire career (to Eli's virtually nothing), and the fact that Eli has two rings.

But some of you folks can take the Toomer way out and dodge the actual question by just stating, "hey, Romo has a better career QB rating".

Looking at career stats is a big-time cop-out and a disservice as an analyst. And currently, their stats aren't that far off from each other. Eli leads in some important aspects, Romo in others.

The BETTER QB is Eli.

If you listened to the michael kay show on espn today, you would see things differently

tumor was positively romophobic

blaming homos chokes AND CREDITING ELI'S SUCCESS on the giants organization............he thinks eli is a good qb, but his boy homo is GREAT

tumor is blind to homos choking and elis coolness under pressure