SportsWrath

Coughlin has 15-20 years left.

BlueInCanada

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a544c8/article/ray-perkins-tom-coughlin-has-15-20-years-left?module=HP11_headline_stack

Ray Perkins: Tom Coughlin has '15, 20 years' left

• By Marc Sessler
  • Writer
  • Published: July 4, 2012 at 03:27 p.m.
  • Updated: July 4, 2012 at 08:13 p.m.

Tom Coughlin turns 66 in August. He's entered a stage in life when lesser men punch the clock one final time, shift comfortably into beach furniture and spend the next three decades complaining about the Knicks.

Not Coughlin. The New York Giants coach has given zero indication he's about to walk away from the game.

His long-time friend Ray Perkins, who coached the Giants and Tampa Bay Buccaneers back in the day, can't fathom Coughlin vanishing into retirement.

"Tom Coughlin's got another 15, 20 years in him," Perkins told the New York Post.

This generated snickers, but Perkins wasn't kidding.

"He does," Perkins said. "He works out, he takes care of himself, he feels good. He's a great coach, and I mean it. He's got 15 or 20 more years in him. And he is totally wrong if he starts thinking of retirement, in my opinion."

Two more decades of dealing with the New York media will age a man, but Coughlin has football in the blood. The game reels these coaches in, drives them to obsession and too often spits them out. It took a lifetime for Coughlin to reach these heights, and we don't expect him to walk away before he's ready to.

I wonder what a 15 year extension would cost.

Off-season news, always the best.

What's all these chit chat about?!?!? If the giants has two losing seasons in a roll. People be calling for his head. This league is unforgiven. Doesn't matter how great a head coach is. If the GM or Draft don't provide the needed asset to produce then fans will be asking for a new coach.

What's all these chit chat about?!?!? If the giants has two losing seasons in a roll. People be calling for his head. This league is unforgiven. Doesn't matter how great a head coach is. If the GM or Draft don't provide the needed asset to produce then fans will be asking for a new coach.

I've always questioned his ability to keep his team consistent and also consistently winning the games his team should be winning...And let's face it, he's been given a solid roster nearly every year he has been here...But he's shut me up for good with the two amazing playoff runs and two SB victories

Personally I never understood the idea of retirement... Sitting there with nothing to do day in day out is a sure way to get old quick. Case in point.. my dad retired in 2007... at the time he looked very good for his age... he came to the US and stayed with me 3 months... and oh shit.. he looked like he aged 20 years since his retirement. My sister and I discussed this numerous times... as in.. wtf happened to our dad... suddenly he looks old and frail. I guess that's what happens when you stop waking up and the morning and engage in an activity... where boredom takes over.

I've always questioned his ability to keep his team consistent and also consistently winning the games his team should be winning...And let's face it, he's been given a solid roster nearly every year he has been here...But he's shut me up for good with the two amazing playoff runs and two SB victories

There are people out there that uses this same statement about TC given a solid team and not producing and wants his head. But I seriously hope the two rings would keep him employed with the Giants till he can't do it no more.

Its becoming increasingly clear Coughlin is the head man but its the co-ordinators, position coaches, and Jerry Reese that have had a huge say in our success.

Tom is not going to last 20 years........the odds of that are preposterous. Then again if we run off say 3 straight Lombardi's, he may be here for a decade.

I think he has evolved as a Head Coach since he got here......sometimes the situation makes the man.....sometimes it breaks him.

Its becoming increasingly clear Coughlin is the head man but its the co-ordinators, position coaches, and Jerry Reese that have had a huge say in our success.

Tom is not going to last 20 years........the odds of that are preposterous. Then again if we run off say 3 straight Lombardi's, he may be here for a decade.

I think he has evolved as a Head Coach since he got here......sometimes the situation makes the man.....sometimes it breaks him.

Coughlin is finally at the point where all his haters look like complete assholes. I can't blame him for wanting to stick around now that everyone is off his ass.

Coughlin has come a long way as a HC with his tenure at the Giants.........he's gotten a lot more comfortable as a head man, and no longer feels the need to discipline everyone within 20 yds of him 24 hours a day

He also has learned how to beat Reid.......now he has Shanahan off his back

Coughlin, like any other coach, is as good as his injury list is short--particularly defensive line. The years we were 8-8 or worse: 2004, 2006, and 2009; we had serious injuries to our defensive line, or our line had multiple surgeries in the previous offseason. 2008 our quick exit had more to do with how beaten-up our dline was at the end than it did Plaxico (though that didn't help matters). Even this year, we really didn't get going until Tuck got healthy, and Osi got back on the field; and we did what we did even with more CBs on IR than on the roster.

The scary part was that our offense is now potent enough to carry us while the dline heals, even with terrible oline play. If this oline actually gets a chance to gel this season, it's going to be even more impressive. Bottom line: if our dline is in good shape at the end of the season, we're in the hunt.

I credit Coughlin with his ability to communicate his needs to Reese, and how he's communicated with his QB. People occasionally defend Fassel because of the roster Coughlin has--but this team is primarily made up of draft picks (especially at its strength positions), and TC puts the time in during the offseason to actively participate in the draft. I also want to stress that I'm not crediting Coughlin with Eli's development, but it should be obvious to all that those two men are on the same page.

He's also pointed the culture of this team in a positive direction--there really hasn't been the negativity that was prevalent in the beginning of his stint and in the Fassel/Reeves years; and I think it's going to last for a while after he eventually retires.

I still think his ability to select a defensive coordinator is dubious, but everyone has a blind spot.

I'm a fan--there have been times, and will be times that I want TC's head on a pike (see after the second Redskins game last season); but I believe he is a better coach than Parcells, and he's doing it without one of the greatest players in the history of the league, or a staff of hall of famers.

Another thought: there were 16 players on the team last year that were on the 2007 squad, including non-factors like DJ Ware and Domenik Hixon (like him or hate him, you can't say he's played a big role). And the place-kicker. Zak DeOssie.

Think about that--a near-complete rebuild while going 12-4, 8-8, 10-6, and SB win. Not bad at all. Yes, Reese got the ingredients; but still that's one hell of a cake.

Coughlin, like any other coach, is as good as his injury list is short--particularly defensive line. The years we were 8-8 or worse: 2004, 2006, and 2009; we had serious injuries to our defensive line, or our line had multiple surgeries in the previous offseason. 2008 our quick exit had more to do with how beaten-up our dline was at the end than it did Plaxico (though that didn't help matters). Even this year, we really didn't get going until Tuck got healthy, and Osi got back on the field; and we did what we did even with more CBs on IR than on the roster.

The scary part was that our offense is now potent enough to carry us while the dline heals, even with terrible oline play. If this oline actually gets a chance to gel this season, it's going to be even more impressive. Bottom line: if our dline is in good shape at the end of the season, we're in the hunt.

I credit Coughlin with his ability to communicate his needs to Reese, and how he's communicated with his QB. People occasionally defend Fassel because of the roster Coughlin has--but this team is primarily made up of draft picks (especially at its strength positions), and TC puts the time in during the offseason to actively participate in the draft. I also want to stress that I'm not crediting Coughlin with Eli's development, but it should be obvious to all that those two men are on the same page.

He's also pointed the culture of this team in a positive direction--there really hasn't been the negativity that was prevalent in the beginning of his stint and in the Fassel/Reeves years; and I think it's going to last for a while after he eventually retires.

I still think his ability to select a defensive coordinator is dubious, but everyone has a blind spot.

I'm a fan--there have been times, and will be times that I want TC's head on a pike (see after the second Redskins game last season); but I believe he is a better coach than Parcells, and he's doing it without one of the greatest players in the history of the league, or a staff of hall of famers.

Agree...

no need to rebuild this year

a tweek or two and we have another

"I'll have another"

You missed my point, Jack. There are 16 players left from 2007 total, including starters and backups. We've already had our rebuild.

I missed no point........yes the core was intact but additions like Cruz, Blackburn (as a starter at MLBer) JPP, Nicks, Rolle etc. etc. built us to a far superior team to the 2007 version

2012 will be the all time dominant Giants squad, and you can quote me on that

Last year we banged on the door of greatness..........THIS YEAR WE KICK IT DOWN.....................19-0 BOOK IT!!!!!!!

We will invite Amani and Tiki to the Parade

I missed no point........yes the core was intact but additions like Cruz, Blackburn (as a starter at MLBer) JPP, Nicks, Rolle etc. etc. built us to a far superior team to the 2007 version

2012 will be the all time dominant Giants squad, and you can quote me on that

Last year we banged on the door of greatness..........THIS YEAR WE KICK IT DOWN.....................19-0 BOOK IT!!!!!!!

We will invite Amani and Tiki to the Parade

Dear god, man...The only guy that was on the 2007 team on the list you mentioned was Blackburn--We had 3 dlinemen left from 2007, Kiwi and Blackburn at linebacker, and Webster and Ross in the backfield. 3 guys left from the Oline, not a single starter at WR.

How the hell is that NOT a rebuild?

Again, I'm not saying we NEED one, I'm saying it ALREADY HAPPENED. And we ARE a better team than '07.

I agree.......This team is far far better than the 2007 miracle team

That same team, essentially, went what, 11-1 to start the following year? I wouldn't say either team is necessarily better. This Giants team is more explosive, that's for sure.

where was the 2007 team stronger?

I do not see it.........our competition is definitely better, so we HAVE to be

I just told you lol. Try reading it again, one more time. Sound it out this time.

"That same team, essentially, went what, 11-1 to start the following year? I wouldn't say either team is necessarily better. This Giants team is more explosive, that's for sure."

I don't think it's correct to say this current team is better than the 2007 team. I think the competition was on the same level or even better. The Patriots were much better then. So were the Cowboys. The Bucs were MUCH better than the Falcons we played this year. Etc. Etc. The level of competition isn't "definitely better". It's worse or the same.

The Packers???? The Falcons, San Fran, Detroit.........any of those teams were better than anyone we faced in 2007........The team I fear most this year is San Fran

Lets hope they get the Sophomore Jinx

you are eating the wrong mushrooms my friend

The Packers???? The Falcons, San Fran, Detroit.........any of those teams were better than anyone we faced in 2007........The team I fear most this year is San Fran

Lets hope they get the Sophomore Jinx

you are eating the wrong mushrooms my friend

We didn't even play Detroit, they don't even factor in. I'm just saying I think you are underrating the 2007 team....which became the 2008 team with not all that many upgrades and went 12-4 and were on their way to great things until a series of misfortunes on and off the field cut that short. Anyway, I think that team is just as good as the current team. And I don't think the level of competition that we faced this season is bounds above what we faced in 2007. The one difference is Manning, though. Manning of 2012 is better than Manning of 2007.

We beat better teams during the playoffs in 2007, IMO. We essentially dominated every playoff game this year except against the 9ers, and honestly, our defense was controlling that game just as much as theirs was (Alex Smith completed what, 1 pass to a WR and aside from those two Davis SNAFUS we pretty much held that team scoreless, and if we had gotten the coverages right on the Davis plays the game would have been a lopsided victory). We were constantly pinning them inside their 20 and were managing to move the ball out of deep in our own territory on numerous occasions. That game was comparable to the 2007 game in Lambeau.

The Packers we played in 2007 was a good team as well. So it was good competition in 2007. On the other hand, the teams we met in the playoffs and regular season this year didn't slaughter us like Dallas and Green Bay did in 2007. The question is whether or not the Green Bay or San Fran teams better than Dallas and Green Bay in 2007, or were we more competitive?