SportsWrath

Former Giant Ward retires.

BlueInCanada

Derrick Ward 'calling it a career' after eight seasons

• By Marc Sessler
  • Writer
  • Published: July 3, 2012 at 03:46 p.m.
  • Updated: July 3, 2012 at 04:19 p.m.

After eight seasons spent with three teams, running back Derrick Ward said Tuesday that his NFL career has come to an end.

To all my fans just wanted to let u know its been a great ride the last 9yrs but I'm calling it a career. I thank u all for believing in me!- Derrick Ward (@DerrickWard32)

Ward spent the past two seasons with the Houston Texans, but made it clear last month his run with the team is over. The rise of Arian Foster and Ben Tate didn't help Ward's cause in a crowded backfield.

His most productive years were spent with the New York Giants, who snagged Ward in the seventh round of the 2004 NFL Draft. He and Brandon Jacobs both topped 1,000 yards in New York in 2008, but Ward hasn't rushed for more than 500 yards in a season since. He spent the 2009 season with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers before heading to Houston.

The league-wide demand for 31-year-old running backs is at an all-time low, but this might not be the end for Ward.

Nobody's calling today, but a rash of injuries could make Ward a candidate for work later this summer. If he does receive another shot, Ward will remain a supporting character, and nothing more. It might not be enough to lure him back.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a4e611/article/derrick-ward-calling-it-a-career-after-eight-seasons-

The article says giants got him in the 7th round, the jets actually drafted him and giants grabbed him off their practice squad.

I was just gonna say this. We didnt draft him, the Jets did.

Oh well, thanks for the 07-08 yr........see ya.

The article says giants got him in the 7th round, the jets actually drafted him and giants grabbed him off their practice squad.

yeah I definitely caught that error immediately, as well.

And I was just thinking about how I would probably take Derrick Ward over DJ Ware at this very moment in time...oh well...he must not have a drop left in the tank if no teams are calling at all.