SportsWrath

Martellus Bennett: Eli Manning 'an unselfish' QB

Treehugger

• By Brian McIntyre
  • Around the League writer
  • Published: June 29, 2012 at 10:47 a.m.
  • Updated: June 29, 2012 at 11:25 a.m.

The debate over whether or not Eli Manning is an elite quarterback began last summer when he said that he put himself in the same class of quarterbacks that include his brother, Peyton Manning, and Tom Brady. Manning backed up those comments with nearly 5,000-yard passing season while leading the New York Giants to a second Lombardi Trophy with him under center.

"To quote one of our captains, you can't spell elite without Eli," Giants defensive end Justin Tuck said of his quarterback after a regular season win over the New England Patriots.

Another word you can't spell without E-L-I is "unselfish", which is the word newly-signed Giants tight end Martellus Bennett describes Manning.

"Oh man, I don't think there's a better quarterback than him in the NFL right now," Bennett told Mike Garafolo of The Star-Ledger during minicamp. "Watching his approach to the game and the way he coaches everybody up and gets everybody involved, I think he's an unselfish quarterback, which is what you want. He throws a very catchable ball, which is always awesome. He's a great guy, a great quarterback."

Bennett spent the first four seasons of his career as the No. 2 tight end on the Dallas Cowboys behind Jason Witten, who averaged 122.5 targets per season over that four-year span. Bennett, a former second-round pick, was targeted 130 times total with the Cowboys, including a career-low 26 times in 2011.

"I mean, he's just looking for the open guy," said Bennett. "It doesn't matter who it is or what number you are. If you're open, he's going to hit you. You have to be ready. That's what makes it so fun playing in this offense because anytime you beat your guy, you know you could get the ball."

After bulking up to 291 pounds, it will be hard for Manning to miss an open Bennett this season.

Guest StrahansGap

• By Brian McIntyre
  • Around the League writer
  • Published: June 29, 2012 at 10:47 a.m.
  • Updated: June 29, 2012 at 11:25 a.m.

The debate over whether or not Eli Manning is an elite quarterback began last summer when he said that he put himself in the same class of quarterbacks that include his brother, Peyton Manning, and Tom Brady. Manning backed up those comments with nearly 5,000-yard passing season while leading the New York Giants to a second Lombardi Trophy with him under center.

"To quote one of our captains, you can't spell elite without Eli," Giants defensive end Justin Tuck said of his quarterback after a regular season win over the New England Patriots.

Another word you can't spell without E-L-I is "unselfish", which is the word newly-signed Giants tight end Martellus Bennett describes Manning.

"Oh man, I don't think there's a better quarterback than him in the NFL right now," Bennett told Mike Garafolo of The Star-Ledger during minicamp. "Watching his approach to the game and the way he coaches everybody up and gets everybody involved, I think he's an unselfish quarterback, which is what you want. He throws a very catchable ball, which is always awesome. He's a great guy, a great quarterback."

Bennett spent the first four seasons of his career as the No. 2 tight end on the Dallas Cowboys behind Jason Witten, who averaged 122.5 targets per season over that four-year span. Bennett, a former second-round pick, was targeted 130 times total with the Cowboys, including a career-low 26 times in 2011.

"I mean, he's just looking for the open guy," said Bennett. "It doesn't matter who it is or what number you are. If you're open, he's going to hit you. You have to be ready. That's what makes it so fun playing in this offense because anytime you beat your guy, you know you could get the ball."

After bulking up to 291 pounds, it will be hard for Manning to miss an open Bennett this season.

This doesn't sound like the words from a bitter, unhappy, disgruntled player that the other Bennett thread has him sounding like. This guy will be 10 times better than Ballard ever was or will be.

That's some brown nose comment. Wonder what type of butt kissing words coming outta his fat lips when he had romo at QB?

All words are useless until he produce.

Did the artical mention him being 291 pounds?!?

I disagree. I do think Eli is low key... humble and all that was said about him by Bennet.

Everything about eli I agree too. But he doesn't need to say a word. Everyone knows Eli is a top guy. He's probably just trying brown nose for some love

He was probably asked to give his impressions of the new team and Eli.

He was probably asked to give his impressions of the new team and Eli.

in fact, he indeed was asked:

heres the original article:

In your time here so far, what feeling have you gotten about the offensive system and whether it plays to your strengths?

A lot of it is, once I get comfortable in the offense, there are a lot of options. So my thing is getting on the same page with Eli running enough routes where he can read my body language and know what I’m about to do. I want to be as quarterback-friendly as possible and being very consistent. Consistency is my thing right now that I’m working on. I’ve made plays here or there in the past but doing it consistently is what I want to do. In this offense, I think I have a chance to be a consistent playmaker.

Did you have as many options in Dallas?

(Grins) No, I didn’t have any options in Dallas. (Laughs)

Let me rephrase: Did you have as many route options?

Yeah, we did some similar stuff. But here, there’s a lot more detail. You have more options here. A lot of the stuff we did in Dallas was similar to the things they do here. They just added a couple of more options. I have to get used to the play-calling terminology because it’s totally different from what we did in Dallas.

What are your thoughts on Eli so far?

Oh man, I don’t think there’s a better quarterback than him in the NFL right now. Watching his approach to the game and the way he coaches everybody up and gets everybody involved, I think he’s an unselfish quarterback, which is what you want. He throws a very catchable ball, which is always awesome. He’s a great guy, a great quarterback.

What makes him unselfish?

Just his approach. I mean, he’s just looking for the open guy. It doesn’t matter who it is or what number you are. If you’re open, he’s going to hit you. You have to be ready. That’s what makes it so fun playing in this offense because anytime you beat your guy, you know you could get the ball.

Is that rare in the NFL?

Yeah, every quarterback has one or two guys they go to on most teams. But here, it’s not really like that.

What can fans expect from you this season?

I’m a blue-collar football player. I just have a little flare on that blue collar. I just like to pop that blue collar. But I’m a blue-collar player. I’m tough, I’m gritty, I’ll get in there and mix it up.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/06/giants_summer_questionnaire_ti.html