SportsWrath

Now that the offense is soaring, can we turn our D around?

JackStroud

Spags was too strong a personality for Coughlin to handle.....Coughlin rules with an iron fist and Fewell appears a lot more passive than Spags

Spags saved Coughlin's job but he does not need to be saved at this point.

In Gilbride and Fewell Coughlin has his perfect matched set, and they are not terrible. I'd rate both as above average,and Gilbride in the top ten OC's

This is the one huge mistake I feel the Giants made. When Spags got fired, we should have brought him in on a red carpet. Imagine this Team as a whole, with spags back at the wheel on D? Dont get me wrong, im glad fewell learned his lesson. But it still wasnt anywhere near enough to keep him over Spags.

Agreed but it would have been quite awkward for us to do that.. We stayed with the lesser of the 2 because of the circumstances and I feel it was the right thing to do.

Agreed but it would have been quite awkward for us to do that.. We stayed with the lesser of the 2 because of the circumstances and I feel it was the right thing to do.

Yea it would have been awkward, but business is business. Im pumped for this coming season, but im definitly worried fewell is gonna screw this up in one way or another. He left me scratching my head so many times last year. I never felt that with spags. Even after the 80 points they put up on us in his first 2 games. oh well enough with the coulda shoulda crap.

Yea it would have been awkward, but business is business. Im pumped for this coming season, but im definitly worried fewell is gonna screw this up in one way or another. He left me scratching my head so many times last year. I never felt that with spags. Even after the 80 points they put up on us in his first 2 games. oh well enough with the coulda shoulda crap.

I feel you but there were no guarantees spags would've come back... and if the news of us contacting him surfaces, then it would be even more awkward for the FO and Fewel. Trust I want our D to be lethal... I miss that feeling knowing when we needed a 3 and out out of our D, we'd get it...

I feel you but there were no guarantees spags would've come back... and if the news of us contacting him surfaces, then it would be even more awkward for the FO and Fewel. Trust I want our D to be lethal... I miss that feeling knowing when we needed a 3 and out out of our D, we'd get it...

Not to keep dreaming about something thats not gonna happen, but if Im running the show, Id be all like screw you Fewell. Your lucky I didnt fire your ass mid season. Im mean you go into full coverage against Drew Brees on 3rd and goal, with the game on the line? You dont try to rush ANYONE?? MMM LOL, dont get me started.

you could have taken Harry and LT and two kickers and put them out there and they still would have been the best

I understand what you're saying, but Carl Banks had the best technique I've ever seen in a Giant's linebacker. He didn't have the natural ability of LT, or the power to get in the middle like Carson, but i would put him up against any running back in the open field.

Dude, don't waste your time, I told some of these guys that ALL freakin' season. Logic and reason is often lost when you have Giants fans who are keen on blitzing on every down, no matter what the personnel looks like.

Fewell deserves a lot of credit for turning that defense around. And it shouldn't be lost on any of these guys that they improved when players got healthy....but it will be.

Fewell didn't turn anything around. His players got healthy, and were able to play the scheme he was running all season. That's not a sign of someone turning a defense around: that's an indication that a coordinator is dogmatic, and not able to make the necessary changes in his schemes when things go wrong.

On paper, he had JPP and Tuck for most of the year. The reality was he had Tuck for the playoffs. He never adjusted to the injuries, and that killed us for most of the season. I said it all season: You can't rush 3 on an obvious passing down and expect success if you have a ramshackle secondary--especially if one of those 3 is a beat up Tuck or a Tollefson.

I understand what you're saying, but Carl Banks had the best technique I've ever seen in a Giant's linebacker. He didn't have the natural ability of LT, or the power to get in the middle like Carson, but i would put him up against any running back in the open field.

Fewell didn't turn anything around. His players got healthy, and were able to play the scheme he was running all season. That's not a sign of someone turning a defense around: that's an indication that a coordinator is dogmatic, and not able to make the necessary changes in his schemes when things go wrong.

On paper, he had JPP and Tuck for most of the year. The reality was he had Tuck for the playoffs. He never adjusted to the injuries, and that killed us for most of the season. I said it all season: You can't rush 3 on an obvious passing down and expect success if you have a ramshackle secondary--especially if one of those 3 is a beat up Tuck or a Tollefson.

I understand what you're saying, but I respectfully disagree that he did nothing to change it around. It's not exactly easy to totally modify your defense because a few key players went down. Fact is, there should be guys capable of stepping up and playing in the defense they learned all training camp and offseason so Fewell doesn't have to completely change his scheme.

I understand what you're saying, but I respectfully disagree that he did nothing to change it around. It's not exactly easy to totally modify your defense because a few key players went down. Fact is, there should be guys capable of stepping up and playing in the defense they learned all training camp and offseason so Fewell doesn't have to completely change his scheme.

It's fair to say both Fox and Spags did more with less... a lot more if you ask me. Fish is spot on in his assessment of Fewel.