SportsWrath

Bobby Carpenter at 25?

shockjock

Usually I simply put the TV on mute when Sean Salsbury is about to offer his "expert advice"...but during todays mock draft on ESPN, Sean choose Bobby Carpenter for the Giants at 25...and if got me thinking, why not?

Bobby Carpenter is a big, athletic, nasty linebacker. He plays with tons of energy and passion and could really add something to the defense. Not to mention that the departure of Greisen leaves a big hole that needs filling....the token white guy on defense....

Now, while I am still a strong supporter of Reggie Torbor to be the heir apparant to Emmons on the strong side, a talent like Carpenter's may be too good to pass up at that point of the draft. He seems to have the ability and instincts to come in and contribute on this defense from day one as a situational pass rusher from the linebacker position and would eventually take over Emmons SAM spot. If the Giants happened to select Bobby at 25, I would be very pleased with the pick and would be REAL comfortable with our backers heading into next season.

Thoughts? :afro:

Guest Floyd The Barber
Usually I simply put the TV on mute when Sean Salsbury is about to offer his "expert advice"...but during todays mock draft on ESPN, Sean choose Bobby Carpenter for the Giants at 25...and if got me thinking, why not?

Bobby Carpenter is a big, athletic, nasty linebacker. He plays with tons of energy and passion and could really add something to the defense. Not to mention that the departure of Greisen leaves a big hole that needs filling....the token white guy on defense....

Now, while I am still a strong supporter of Reggie Torbor to be the heir apparant to Emmons on the strong side, a talent like Carpenter's may be too good to pass up at that point of the draft. He seems to have the ability and instincts to come in and contribute on this defense from day one as a situational pass rusher from the linebacker position and would eventually take over Emmons SAM spot. If the Giants happened to select Bobby at 25, I would be very pleased with the pick and would be REAL comfortable with our backers heading into next season.

your line of thought is right on, but is EA's ?? did you happen to hear him on Mike and the Mad Dog yesterday ?? he feels now that we signed Short and Arrington that our woes at LB are solved, quickly changed topics and began getting blood flow over that guy Cromartie...worthy of a first round gamble...a guy who has never started a college level game, and blew out his ACL...

this is why we have/had guys like Ron Dayne, Will Allen, William Joseph etc. in NYG BLUE...

he is pathetic

Guest Lockhart

Makes sense - Carpenter is the long-term answer and Arrington the stopgap - we already saw this with Kurt Warner as the stopgap for Eli Mainning. Arrington couldn't cover a school girl on a pass route - Carpenter can. Look for Arrington to start the injury, and after his inevitable knee swelling, Carpenter will take over, just as Eli replaced Warner.

Guest Floyd The Barber
Makes sense - Carpenter is the long-term answer and Arrington the stopgap - we already saw this with Kurt Warner as the stopgap for Eli Mainning. Arrington couldn't cover a school girl on a pass route - Carpenter can. Look for Arrington to start the injury, and after his inevitable knee swelling, Carpenter will take over, just as Eli replaced Warner.

again, this is the thinking mans train of thought...but not Ernie's...i guarentee you this years 1st , 2nd and 3rd round picks will be guys totally off of everyones charts and guys labeled as "project types"...

EA is a retard...

I wouldn't be opposed or upset at all should we draft another linebacker, or even one in the first round. However, I think we need to seriously think about a DT as well. My concern is that I don't know what kind of value there will be at the DT position when we draft in the second round.

If it were me, and I had the chance given that mock draft, I'd have traded down a few picks (if I could find a taker) and draft a DT. Then again, the RB position was awfully tempting with the guy from Memphis whose name I can never remember. I like Brandon Jacobs, but I think this Memphis kid is going to be awfully good.

At this point, I don't see that happening. After Arrington signing, I have believe to believe that the Giants have someone else in mind, and are more than happy to find some LB depth later in the draft.

your line of thought is right on, but is EA's ?? did you happen to hear him on Mike and the Mad Dog yesterday ?? he feels now that we signed Short and Arrington that our woes at LB are solved, quickly changed topics and began getting blood flow over that guy Cromartie...worthy of a first round gamble...a guy who has never started a college level game, and blew out his ACL...

this is why we have/had guys like Ron Dayne, Will Allen, William Joseph etc. in NYG BLUE...

he is pathetic

I wouldnt be suprised if he actually really wants Carpenter and didnt want to talk about it so he changed the subject to discuss a player that we have no chance of getting. Cromartie's going to be long gone before we pick. The whole, throwing people off thing. He might be pathetic but hes not retarded so as to discuss players in depth that he's targeting.

As for the 2003 Draft -- for those of you who critisize EA (looking at you fab 4) who did you guys want and who would you have picked instead of Osi and WJ in the first 2 rounds? Here's a couple of links to refresh your memory if you forgot that draft....

http://www.bigblueinteractive.com/draft/drpros03.htm

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/years/2003

I wouldnt be suprised if he actually really wants Carpenter and didnt want to talk about it so he changed the subject to discuss a player that we have no chance of getting. Cromartie's going to be long gone before we pick. The whole, throwing people off thing. He might be pathetic but hes not retarded so as to discuss players in depth that he's targeting.

As for the 2003 Draft -- for those of you who critisize EA (looking at you fab 4) who did you guys want and who would you have picked instead of Osi and WJ in the first 2 rounds? Here's a couple of links to refresh your memory if you forgot that draft....

http://www.bigblueinteractive.com/draft/drpros03.htm

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/years/2003

The FAG 4 is universally known for their "selective retention." :doh:

i woudlnt be disappointed but i wouldnt be thrilled about it either. nothing stands out in regards to carpenter if you ask me.

His size, athletic ability and pass rushing are all top notch for a strong side linebacker...the reason he had fallen this far down the boards is because of his partner in crime on that Buckeye defense. If AJ Hawk was not in this draft Carpenter would be a top 15-top 20 pick

Well if he's not available, I still think Demeco Ryans would be a great pick. Or Chad Greenway but I think that it's even less likely he drops to 25 than Carpenter.

Either Ryans or Carpenter would be good pick for us at that point. Now, before we signed Arrington I was pushing Demeco Ryans, and while he would still be a nice pickup for us, he is a WILL. Arrington is only 27 and signed to a 7 year deal, so he might just end up stuck behind Lavar for years to come. Of course, he has the smarts to move over to the strong side, but if it comes down to Carpenter or Ryans I would prefer Mama Carpenter's pride and joy to be in Giants blue next season. He is a pure SAM backer who is a great pass rusher and plays well over the TE...I'm crossing my fingers he slids past the Patriots...