SportsWrath

Dave Diehl DWI

Lughead

Diehl faces up to one year in jail and a $1,000 fine if convicted.

The NFL.com article states it a little more optimistically:

A conviction would potentially land him in jail for up to one year and/or carry a $1,000 fine.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d829bc9f7/article/david-diehls-court-date-coincides-with-camp-start?module=HP11_headline_stack

I think different cases deserve different penaltys.

Diehl was more then double the legal limit and has resources to easily get a safe ride hone. He should be fucked and made an example of.

his resources should not be considered legally.

no, he shouldn't have driven drunk...but he should be treated no differently than the next first offense drunk driver.

What a fuck up!!!

All the money in the world to hire a designated driver or a cabbie, but noooooo, I will drive and fuck up my life instead.

I can almost understand people who live paycheck to paycheck and can barely make ends meet avoiding a cab fare, but NFL players have enough money to avoid stupid, stupid things like this. Pisses me off cuz I like the guy and now I don't think he's nearly as smart as I used to think.

i think most teams have a 24 hour on call DD service too

Putting aside the law & order aspect, what does this do to the Giants O line plans if Diehl is suspended 4 games? Who does this open a door for? Is Brewer ready to step in at RT? Is Beatty going to be ready and if so, is he good enough to protect Eli's blind side over 16 games? Was Diehl going to compete at Guard, as well....and if so, is that competiton now narrowed to Booth and Petrus? As I said earlier, the O line was already the unit I had the most questions about going into camp and now even more so.

Guest StrahansGap

Diehl will not spend a single minute in jail. Ain't happening. He'll get a fine and maybe some community service. But I even doubt the latter......

Putting aside the law & order aspect, what does this do to the Giants O line plans if Diehl is suspended 4 games? Who does this open a door for? Is Brewer ready to step in at RT? Is Beatty going to be ready and if so, is he good enough to protect Eli's blind side over 16 games? Was Diehl going to compete at Guard, as well....and if so, is that competiton now narrowed to Booth and Petrus? As I said earlier, the O line was already the unit I had the most questions about going into camp and now even more so.

There's zero chance of him getting suspended. Sat by Coughlin, maybe, but not by the League.

There's zero chance of him getting suspended. Sat by Coughlin, maybe, but not by the League.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d829c2293/article/nfl-pushing-for-increased-dui-player-discipline-?module=HP11_headline_stack

The NFL and NFL Players Association are expected to continue to look at increased discipline for driving-under-the-influence, in the wake of an incident involving New York Giants offensive lineman David Diehl on Sunday.

Diehl was charged with DUI after hitting several parked cars with his BMW on Sunday night.

DUIs fall under the substance abuse policy, and the league and union are still operating under the terms of the 2010 substance abuse policy, and will until the parties reach agreement on a new drug policy that includes HGH testing.

A league source reiterated Tuesday what Pro Football Talk earlier reported -- that the NFL has been trying to increase the discipline for DUIs for several years. NFLPA spokesman George Atallah declined comment, but he acknowledged that discipline for DUIs is up for negotiation as part of the substance abuse policy.

The current policy states a first DUI results in a fine of a game check, up to a maximum of $50,000, with subsequent violation leading to further discipline, which can include suspensions.

Watch Diehl be the front man for the way the NFL takes on DUI.

This changes nothing as it pertains to how the offensive line will shake out. The most he gets is a 1 game suspension, and even that's somewhat unlikely. Osi did say something right... some people can handle alcohol better than others. And a .08 isn't a lot of alcohol. Most of us who drink wouldn't even notice it as an impairment to our faculties. Not saying driving is still ok, but some people can still drive safely even if they are a little buzzed. In fact, some people (possibly yours truly) are an even better driver, because someone, perhaps like me, who may or may not have been in that situation, is actually more intensely focused on other drivers, the speed I'm going, and in general, making absolutely certain that I'm driving in a fashion that won't get you pulled over (meaning, safely).

My day to day driving... I have a bit of a lead foot, particularly on open highway, and can be a bit of a weaver because all the blue hairs down here seem to want to drive 5 mph under the speed limit in the left lane :furious: :chair: . But in the past, if I were someone that has had a few drinks and driving home.... you would see my hands at 10 and 2 and driving exactly the speed limit if not a mph or two lower.

Of course, there is a limit to that, too... when you've had too much you can't walk straight... it's not going to matter how much you focus, you're probably going to put yourself and others in danger behind the wheel.

I've never had a DWI, but when I was in my early twenties I came close, I was definitely drunk, definitely too much so, and was pulled over for doing about 60-65 in a 45 zone. Cop got me out of the car, searched me, searched my car, and I put on my best sober face, and whether he knew or not, decided not to give me a field sobriety test or a breathalyzer. And he did ask me where I was coming from, I did tell him the truth (a bar), and asked me if I had been drinking, to which I gave the cliche answer of, "I had 2 beers." So he wrote me a warning for speeding, told me to drive safely home... and I have to believe he looked at my age, saw I was pretty close to being home, and decided to do me a solid. Pretty sure you only get that lucky once. So when I see something like this with Diehl, I always think how that could've been me, and I thank my lucky stars for that cop.

I think the scary thing is that he was in Queens. Fucking bombed.

He was gonna drive back to New Jersey?

I don't drive..but Jesus Christ...I've had friends who live in Jersey take cabs home from Astoria because they were so drunk. And they don't make millions of dollars.

I also had a dwi before. I parked and bam dwi. Yes I said I PARKED.... I had to go thru those classes as well and I kinda stop drinking so much now and be careful before driving.

I don't drink at all now

Good point. I guess this bar in Queens is the headquarters for the Croatian soccer fans? But here's what bothers me - going to watch a game in a bar, knowing he'll be drinking, suggests this is something he's maybe done before, don't you think? If I'm going out like that. I have a strategy to avoid driving drunk.

Good point. I guess this bar in Queens is the headquarters for the Croatian soccer fans? But here's what bothers me - going to watch a game in a bar, knowing he'll be drinking, suggests this is something he's maybe done before, don't you think? If I'm going out like that. I have a strategy to avoid driving drunk.

I didn't think alot of Crots lived in Astoria. Pretty much thought it was all Greek and hipsters who can't afford to live in Williamsburg.

I think the scary thing is that he was in Queens. Fucking bombed.

He was gonna drive back to New Jersey?

I don't drive..but Jesus Christ...I've had friends who live in Jersey take cabs home from Astoria because they were so drunk. And they don't make millions of dollars.

Driving thru Astoria alone is atrocious. Absolutely hate driving there... narrow streets no parking anyway...