SportsWrath

If Jacobs doesn't retire a Giant down the road, I'll be shocked

Tempest

Depends.. if they are old enough copper prices are up lately. Had a homeless guy ripping exposed wires off of one of the bridges i work at last week.

I've read that some people are collecting nickels because it's the only coin left worth more in metal than the cost of the coin. Not sure though where you could dump $1000s in nickels though.

I've read that some people are collecting nickels because it's the only coin left worth more in metal than the cost of the coin. Not sure though where you could dump $1000s in nickels though.

There's an investment guy in the US doing this, though I think if you tried to actually harvest the metal you'd a) lose about 15-20% in the smelting and b) potentially go to jail for defacing legal tender (not sure if that's an offense there).

There's an investment guy in the US doing this, though I think if you tried to actually harvest the metal you'd a) lose about 15-20% in the smelting and b) potentially go to jail for defacing legal tender (not sure if that's an offense there).

I don't see how it's possible to actually make money. It's a 5 gram coin that is 75% copper, 25% nickel.....but just because it costs the US mint more than 5 cents to mint a nickel, doesn't mean it contains enough precious metal content to be worth more than 5 cents. It just means that with the cost of the metal and production, they can't make a nickel for under 5 cents.

They also spend over 1 cent to make a penny, too.

And, all of what you said is also true.

I don't see how it's possible to actually make money. It's a 5 gram coin that is 75% copper, 25% nickel.....but just because it costs the US mint more than 5 cents to mint a nickel, doesn't mean it contains enough precious metal content to be worth more than 5 cents. It just means that with the cost of the metal and production, they can't make a nickel for under 5 cents.

They also spend over 1 cent to make a penny, too.

And, all of what you said is also true.

Did you stay at a holiday inn express last night?

• 2 weeks later...

If you happened to be at the Jump On In bounce house in Boonton, N.J. today, you saw quite a spectacle: a 6-4, 266-pound NFL running back flailing about on inflatable castles and slides like a first grader hopped up on Sweet-Tarts.

That running back was the 49ers' Brandon Jacobs, who took six-year-old Joseph Armento and his four-year-old brother for an outing they are not soon to forget. Armento, you'll recall, is the New Jersey boy who upon being told the Giants could no longer afford to keep Jacobs, emptied his piggy bank -- $3.36 - and sent it to California in an effort keep his favorite player with the Giants.

Jacobs was touched by the gesture and told Armento's mother, Julie, that he would be in New Jersey for a short time this week while he packed up his belongings and moved his family to the Bay Area. He thought his original idea for a meeting place, Chuck E. Cheese, might cause too much of scene. So they settled on a bounce house.

Jacobs, 29, brought his five-year-old son, Brayden, and the four kids - Jacobs included - played non-stop for nearly two hours. No one even took a water break.

"He told me he really wanted to get out there with the kids," Julie Armento said in a phone interview with The Bee. "He really wanted to enjoy it, and he did. It was amazing."

Said Jacobs, also by phone: "It was just us in the whole place and we were just going room to room - just bouncing and flipping all over the place, hitting each other with balls, sweating, our shirts filthy. We were just dirty, stinky boys, you know?"

Young Joseph, as you might expect, was blown away. Jacobs also gave him a signed football helmet. It's a Giants helmet, and Jacobs signed it with his former number, No. 27. He wears No. 45 with the 49ers. It reads: To Joe: Thanks for being a fan. God bless, Brandon Jacobs.

Julie Armento said she sent the letter in March soon after the 49ers had inked Jacobs to a one-year contract. But she sent it to Candlestick Park in San Francisco whereas Jacobs and the 49ers practice in Santa Clara, 45 miles to the south. Jacobs didn't get the letter until earlier this month. He called the Armentos the next day.

"When we first spoke, he said that he was genuinely touched by the letter, that it almost brought him to tears," Julie said. "He said it came at just the right time for him."

Said Jacobs: "I'm at a point in my career when people have stopped believing in me and not believing that I can still play. But that's not the case. Joe believes in me, gave me a lot of confidence and a lot of want-to. And I'm ready to go. I can't wait until the season starts."

Jacobs had one final gift -- a five-dollar bill. After all, he ended up signing with the 49ers, so it was only fair that the boy get his piggybank money back.

"He had some interest in there just for being a good kid," Jacobs said. "He's worth a lot more than that $5 bill I gave him."

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/06/jacobs-repays-six-year-old-giants-fan-with-interest.html

Is Jacobs San Fran contract guaranteed? If not, he might not make their final cut. Mario has bone on bone in one knee........nice final catch as a Giant though.

The Giants have a great track record of discarding players who are on their way out.........how many former Giants are starters in the NFL?

Steve Smith? Plaxico?, Shockey?, ............I cannot think of any.................even Grant went down with a knee

Is Jacobs San Fran contract guaranteed? If not, he might not make their final cut. Mario has bone on bone in one knee........nice final catch as a Giant though.

The Giants have a great track record of discarding players who are on their way out.........how many former Giants are starters in the NFL?

Steve Smith? Plaxico?, Shockey?, ............I cannot think of any.................even Grant went down with a knee

huh? he went down in one game last year, but appeared in everygame last season.

huh? he went down in one game last year, but appeared in everygame last season.

again picking on a nit and missing the big picture........you're the nit pick Zen Master

are we talking about GB's Grant? Thats who I was referring to

I cannot think of anyone who ever left the Giants and became a star.....or even thrived.......maybe Sam Huff

again picking on a nit and missing the big picture........you're the nit pick Zen Master

are we talking about GB's Grant? Thats who I was referring to

I cannot think of anyone who ever left the Giants and became a star.....or even thrived.......maybe Sam Huff

I totally thought you were talking about Deon Grant for some reason, that one's my bad.

Ed mccafferey

vishante shancoe

tyrone wheatley

Outside of those guys, I can't really name others. I could say someone like Kevin Walter who plays opposite Andre Johnson in Houston..but he's more of a bit player than a flat out star.

More recently, guy's who had great seasons with the Giants have done shit else where. Steve Smith, Derrick Ward, Kevin Boss, James Butler, etc.

Outside of those guys, I can't really name others. I could say someone like Kevin Walter who plays opposite Andre Johnson in Houston..but he's more of a bit player than a flat out star.

More recently, guy's who had great seasons with the Giants have done shit else where. Steve Smith, Derrick Ward, Kevin Boss, James Butler, etc.

Yeah, I'd add Gibril Wilson and even Jeremy Shockey to that list, too....though Shockey has been decent elsewhere, he was never a force to be gameplanned for like he was with the Giants. Soon to add Mario Manningham and Brandon Jacobs to that list, too.

Gibril was a MONSTER for the Raiders in 08, but they abused the FUCK out of him playing him down at the LOS on like 80% of plays. Lol. He got his pay though.

Maybe Aaron Ross will become a starter for Jax?

Shockey made out ok, he won another SB as The starting TE with NO.

Will Allen did ok in Miami for a while, still played a little last season.

Dhani Jones had an ok Career in Cincy

Bunch of scrubs like Ralph Brown and Frank Walker stuck in the league for a while lol.

I think Steve Smith will bounce back.

But we mainly Do a good job in letting the right guys go.

Let's see how Coefield holds up.

Does Jacobs have a guaranteed contract? If not that retirement may be coming in September.

If Harbaugh cuts him there will be no takers

His best shot at staying in the NFL was here........he should have taken a big pay cut and a seat

Does Jacobs have a guaranteed contract? If not that retirement may be coming in September.

If Harbaugh cuts him there will be no takers

His best shot at staying in the NFL was here........he should have taken a big pay cut and a seat

I don't see him making it, they drafted LaMichael James,have Kendall Hunter and Frank Gore.

Cameron Wake

We did have Osi and Strahan....

And in their defense, it took Wake 7 years to get any good....

And personally, Miami is HIGHLY overpaying him. He makes a ton more than Osi, as far as I know. Wake is 4 years 49 million and while I don't think Osi's contract has been disclosed, he sure as hell isn't making 12 million a year. They are essentially, both one-dimensional pass rushers, but Osi is better if he stays healthy an entire season, IMO

Ryan Grant to the Packers

Yes I noted Grant but his star seems to have faded........I forgot McCaffery and Jereviscious............losing Tollesfon was a huge blow too.....but lets see how he does without the best DL teammates in the NFL

Also Grant never played a single down for the Giants in a real game