SportsWrath

Nicks Out 12 Weeks

BronxRik

New York Giants wide receiver Hakeem Nicks broke the fifth metatarsal in his right foot while running a route during a Thursday morning OTA session, the club announced.

According to a news release issued by the team, Nicks will undergo surgery on Friday in Charlotte, N.C. Dr. Robert Anderson in Charlotte will insert a screw into the broken bone; Nicks faces an expected recovery time of 12 weeks.

Nicks will likely miss most, if not all, of the team's 2012 training camp, which is scheduled to begin at the University of Albany on July 26.

A 2009 first-round pick out of North Carolina, Nicks has 202 receptions for 3,034 yards and 24 touchdowns over a 42-game career with the Giants. Over the last two seasons, Nicks has averaged 77 receptions for 1,122 yards and nine touchdowns. Nicks led all receivers last postseason with 28 receptions for 444 yards, and he tied for the postseason lead with four touchdowns.

With Nicks out for an extended period of time, and Mario Manningham having departed via free agency, the team will likely give more reps to 2012 first-round pick Rueben Randle and recent third-round picks Ramses Barden and Jerrel Jernigan. Victor Cruz, who grabbed 82 catches for 1,536 yards and nine scores in 2011, also gains considerable leverage as he looks for a raise over the $540,000 he's currently scheduled to make in 2012.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82951be8/article/hakeem-nicks-has-broken-bone-in-foot-surgery-set?module=HP11_breaking_news

Jesus Fucking Christ!!!! What the fuck is it with us getting these freaky, flukey injuries?!?!

Positive way to look at it is, those other guys are going to get a ton of opportunity and if one or more of them rise to the occassion, we'll be that much stronger at WR when Hakeem returns.

But I'm still pissed!

I don't know that he'll be as ready as he claims. The structure of the foot is very, very complex and it is extremely painful if there is a break. It seems Bradshaw has been dealing with the pain for some time now and not sure he's been 100% since his foot injury.

I hope I am wrong as all get out, but there is a nervousness shadowing around inside my brain that he won't be the same this season or will come back too soon and end up lost for the season.

I don't know that he'll be as ready as he claims. The structure of the foot is very, very complex and it is extremely painful if there is a break. It seems Bradshaw has been dealing with the pain for some time now and not sure he's been 100% since his foot injury.

I hope I am wrong as all get out, but there is a nervousness shadowing around inside my brain that he won't be the same this season or will come back too soon and end up lost for the season.

Yes Bleedin', I completely agree. I wasn't too concerned until I read "surgery" and "a screw will be inserted". Once they go in and start drilling in screws, the foot can be a problem for the rest of his career. It's compromised now. This is very concerning to me. Like you said, look at Bradshaw. Ahmad has been a gamer and has played through a lot, but his foot is a constant issue that needs to be managed and has to have some good luck, too, to get it through the season.

This has me majorly worried that they just can't put a cast on it and let it heal naturally.

You guys are buggin out.

He will be fine. This happens all the time and players almost always make it back 100%. the screw is a good thing. It's adding strong metal to his body.

If only Chad Jones responded as well to his cyborg-ness.....

If only Chad Jones responded as well to his cyborg-ness.....

Fruits and vegetables man.

Nicks is having a common procedure with a high success rate and a

Consistent 12 week heeling time.

Jones obviously suffered severe life threatening trauma to his legs. He is lucky he's able to run today. Let alone walk.

Herzlich will never break his steel

Leg playing football.

Nicks will be fine, I'm 99% sure. Nicks is also a notoriously fast and strong healer. He suffers many injuries, but always heels fast and is always able to play through pain.

Don't be worried, the time to worry is when he starts to practice and train again. That prime hamstring pull time.