SportsWrath

E.J. Henderson?

Sephiroth

Why not, really? If he comes cheap that is.

It's hard to fathom that a Pro Bowl middle linebacker who registered 105 tackles in 2011 is still available, but E.J. Henderson is still without a contract.

Henderson suffered a career-threatening broken leg in 2009, but he bounced back to become the tackling machine Vikings fans remembered.

However, at 32 years old and with an injury history, teams aren't lining up for Henderson's services anywhere near the price of his last contract. His days as an every-down middle linebacker might be numbered, but he can still provide good depth and leadership to any team's linebacking corps.

The Vikings reportedly tried to tie up Henderson before he hit free agency, but couldn't come to a deal. The most likely scenario for Henderson is that he will have to sit on the sidelines, waiting for an opportunity as his contract price continues to drop.

Henderson shouldn't get paid like a top-tiered middle linebacker,—and he won't—but any team that suffers an injury or has underperforming rookies will have him firmly planted on their radar.

If Henderson comes for vet minimum, and not a dime more in incentives/bonuses or otherwise, I guess I wouldn't complain about our acquiring him for depth. But really, the need just isn't there.

Signing Henderson would (1) stunt the growth of our younger guys by taking snaps from them in practice/games, (2) take opportunities away from the coaches in their evaluations of the younger guys, and (3) add a guy that for all intents and purposes, will be a depth guy anyway behind those we have on the roster.

With Herzlich, Blackburn, Jones...I think we'll be okay at MLB. Boley/Kiwi/Williams/Paysinger at OLB should be just fine.

If Henderson comes for vet minimum, and not a dime more in incentives/bonuses or otherwise, I guess I wouldn't complain about our acquiring him for depth. But really, the need just isn't there.

Signing Henderson would (1) stunt the growth of our younger guys by taking snaps from them in practice/games, (2) take opportunities away from the coaches in their evaluations of the younger guys, and (3) add a guy that for all intents and purposes, will be a depth guy anyway behind those we have on the roster.

With Herzlich, Blackburn, Jones...I think we'll be okay at MLB. Boley/Kiwi/Williams/Paysinger at OLB should be just fine.

I sort of think the younger guys can learn the ropes from a guy like Henderson for a year or until he inevitably gets injured in week 8. He'd be more like an on-field coach. And you're right, he'd have to come cheap.

I sort of think the younger guys can learn the ropes from a guy like Henderson for a year or until he inevitably gets injured in week 8. He'd be more like an on-field coach. And you're right, he'd have to come cheap.

Isn't Blackburn already filling this role?