SportsWrath

JPP - Is He The Best Pass Rusher in the Past Decade?

BleedinBlue

Great article from NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8292eebc/article/calvin-johnson-headlines-seven-most-dominant-players-today )

It will cost the Giants a small fortune to keep JPP if he gets any better. A nice problem to have. And it doesn't make it any easier for Osi to reclaim the starting role.

The Seven Most Dominant Players in the NFL Today

By Daniel Jeremiah NFL.com Analyst Published: May 18, 2012

So much of our time is spent bloviating on quarterbacks, and justifiably so, but that is not the only position on the field where one player can dominate the game.

I enlisted the help of several NFL coaches, executives and scouts and compiled a list of the seven most dominant players in the NFL. And in this exercise, quarterbacks aren't eligible

Calvin Johnson, WR, Detroit Lions

You aren't given the nickname "Megatron" for being just an above-average wide receiver. Johnson is the epitome of dominance. Everyone in the stadium knows where the ball is going and there is absolutely nothing a defense can do about it. If you are looking for a witness, give Rob Ryan or anyone in the Dallas secondary a call. As one NFC executive put it, "He's a bigger, tougher Randy Moss."

Rob Gronkowski, TE, New England Patriots

You don't normally equate the word "dominant" with the tight end position. Gronkowski changed that perception last season. His 17 touchdown catches (an NFL TE record) led the entire league. I asked an opposing defensive coach about trying to slow down Gronk. "It's helpless; there is nothing you can do." This coach went on to explain that Gronkowski's a matchup nightmare for anybody you throw at him. He's too fast and athletic for linebackers to cover and his size and strength overwhelms cornerbacks and safeties.

Darrelle Revis, CB, New York Jets

This should come as no surprise to anyone who watches NFL football on a regular basis. He's the best cornerback in the game and the only current player at the position worthy of the "shutdown" label. I asked several opposing coaches and personnel execs if there was any reason he shouldn't be on this list. Crickets ...

DeMarcus Ware, OLB, Dallas Cowboys

Stats don't always tell the story, but in this case they are hard to ignore. In seven seasons, Ware has sacked opposing quarterbacks 99.5 times. He's had four different seasons where he's collected 14 or more sacks and only one year in which he failed to reach double digits (his rookie season, when he had eight). He's also forced 27 fumbles in his career. "He's the one guy we play against that we don't have an answer for," said one NFC executive who is very familiar with Ware's ability to dominate games. "How do you stop him? I wish I knew."

Jared Allen, DE, Minnesota Vikings

Everyone in the NFL uses the same word to describe Allen: "Warrior." A relentless motor is his trademark, and he's proven capable of completely destroying an opposing passing attack. Want dominance? He recorded 22 sacks last season while playing on a team that won three games. Pass rushers love to play with leads. It allows them to pin their ears back and abandon any thought of a possible run. Jared wasn't afforded that luxury, yet he fell only half a sack short of Michael Strahan's single-season record.

Jason Peirre-Paul, DE, New York Giants

Pierre-Paul is the defensive version of Calvin Johnson. His physical size and athletic ability are so off the charts that it is tough to come up with a defensive comparison from the present or the past. His length and ability to corner the edge is similar to Jevon Kearse, but he's much thicker and stronger. In 2011, JPP was a dominant force with 86 tackles and 16.5 sacks. He creates major matchup problems no matter where he aligns. From the outside, his power is a major issue for offensive tackles, while his quickness gives interior offensive lineman fits. One highly respected NFL defensive line coach believes he's the best pass rusher to enter the league in the past 10 years.

Justin Smith, DT, San Francisco 49ers

I think the cat might finally be out of the bag: Justin Smith is one bad dude! It's hard for a 5-technique in a three-man front to dominate a football game, but Smith does just that on a weekly basis. He has rare strength, power and balance to hold the point of attack against the run. Simply put, he's immovable. He also has the quickness and awareness to shed blockers, locate the football and make the tackle. As a pass rusher, he makes it close to impossible for the offensive line to establish a clean pocket. He constantly gets push and offers a wide variety of hand moves to create pressure. The term walk-off usually applies to baseball players, but Justin made it relevant in the NFL last season. He made key plays to clinch wins over the Eagles, Lions and Giants (in their regular season matchup).

If he can continue to not only put up similar numbers but become more adept at the game of football (because he already obviously has the raw talent and ability to just seek and destroy whoever has the football) and become a team leader, than yes, absolutely-provided he stays healthy.

I would love to see Justin Tuck mentor him and pass the torch off to him when he retires (hopefully both as Giants).

I'd put Adrian Peterson or Patrick Willis ahead of Gronk.

I would even argue that Graham is the better TE and cause's worst matchup problems. Graham was in a offense that was 50/50 run/pass and had more receptions, also Gronk and Hernandez is all Brady had to throw to, while Brees had four other receivers to throw to.

I would even argue that Graham is the better TE and cause's worst matchup problems. Graham was in a offense that was 50/50 run/pass and had more receptions, also Gronk and Hernandez is all Brady had to throw to, while Brees had four other receivers to throw to.

Wouldn't that be an argument FOR dominance; the other team know the ball's going to him and they still can't stop him?

I don't ever remember seeing a TE that's as freakishly gifted as Gronkowski. Guy seems like he's 11 feet tall, strong as an ox, and is too fast for a linebacker to keep up with him.

JPP is pretty amazing as well, but let's see what he does in the next few years.

I don't ever remember seeing a TE that's as freakishly gifted as Gronkowski. Guy seems like he's 11 feet tall, strong as an ox, and is too fast for a linebacker to keep up with him.

JPP is pretty amazing as well, but let's see what he does in the next few years.

I only recall Gronk not being able to adjust to a deep ball thrown to him where Chase Blackburn intercepted it.

I only recall Gronk not being able to adjust to a deep ball thrown to him where Chase Blackburn intercepted it.

Could spin that pretty easily to emphasize his toughness playing on a pretty fucked up ankle. As nice of a play as it was for Chase, let's be a bit more realistic here and agree that Gronk's bum wheel had as much to do with that play as Blackburn.

Could spin that pretty easily to emphasize his toughness playing on a pretty fucked up ankle. As nice of a play as it was for Chase, let's be a bit more realistic here and agree that Gronk's bum wheel had as much to do with that play as Blackburn. how awesome Chase Blackburn is.

:TU:

Could spin that pretty easily to emphasize his toughness playing on a pretty fucked up ankle. As nice of a play as it was for Chase, let's be a bit more realistic here and agree that Gronk's bum wheel had as much to do with that play as Blackburn.

And it was a pretty underthrown ball, too. Regardless, Chase DID outposition Gronk for the ball....even if the bum ankle prevented Gronk from jumping more than 2 inches off of the ground, lol.

Fucked up ankle is a very over-rated injury. Adrenaline makes up for it. I kid you not I played on a fractured ankle.. I finished the game .. a pick up game.. and in the ER it was an "oh shit" moment... I just think he was over-hyped.

Fucked up ankle is a very over-rated injury. Adrenaline makes up for it. I kid you not I played on a fractured ankle.. I finished the game .. a pick up game.. and in the ER it was an "oh shit" moment... I just think he was over-hyped.

Let's be fair here. First off, one ankle injury isn't the same as the next. And, the competition in the Super Bowl was probably a bit stiffer than your pickup game.

Gronk is a very good player, and he did not look 100% in the Super Bowl. Whether he is a top 7 player in the league is a different argument, but he did average more than 1 touchdown per game. He's pretty damn good.

Let's be fair here. First off, one ankle injury isn't the same as the next. And, the competition in the Super Bowl was probably a bit stiffer than your pickup game.

Gronk is a very good player, and he did not look 100% in the Super Bowl. Whether he is a top 7 player in the league is a different argument, but he did average more than 1 touchdown per game. He's pretty damn good.

He honestly looked at less than 50%....the Giants defense has even made comments post-SB stating that they knew as soon as he first stepped on the field that they weren't going to have to worry about him.