SportsWrath

Rookie WR, LB earn spots on Giants roster

Mr. P

The Giants had 37 different players attending all or part of their three-day rookie mini-camp on a tryout basis. Receiver Brandon Collins and linebacker Jake Muasau were the only two who will be coming back.

Both players signed contracts with the Giants on Sunday as soon as camp was over. The additions of Collins, a 5-11, 180-pound receiver out of Southeastern Louisiana and Muasau, a 6-1, 243-pound linebacker out of Georgia State, give the Giants a full, 90-man roster heading into their full-team mandatory minicamp next month.

Muasau was a playmaking linebacker for the brand new football program at Georgia State, which has only been fielding a football team since 2010. He was coached their by former NFL player and Alabama head coach Bill Curry. He played the “Bandit” spot – a hybrid defensive end/linebacker position and was the team’s defensive MVP in both ’10 and ’11. He is Georgia State’s career leader in tackles for loss (16 1/2) and interceptions (3).

Collins began his career as a promising receiver at Texas, where he caught 35 passes for 430 yards as a sophomore in 2008. But things quickly derailed. He was suspended at one point for academic issues. Then, during his junior year while he was redshirting in 2010, he was kicked off the team in January after he was arrested on two first-degree felony chargers in Pflugerville, Texas, according to reports.

Collins was arrested on suspicion of driving a vehicle that was engaged in an armed robbery, according to various reports, and was charged with aggravated robbery and engaging in organized criminal activity. The charges were later dropped and he was eventually cleared to play at Southeastern Louisiana. In his two seasons there he caught 117 passes for 1,621 yards and nine touchdowns.

The Giants are expected to announce the signings of both players on Monday. Both Collins and Muasau confirmed they have signed via Twitter, and a team source confirmed it, too.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2012/05/rookie-wr-lb-earn-spots-on-giants-roster

Always nice to bolster depth.

It's going to be an interesting camp for WRs.

You know Nicks and Cruz have down the 1 and 2 spot but we have a log jam of talent at the WR position. Going to be interesting who is cut and who stays.

Always nice to bolster depth.

It's going to be an interesting camp for WRs.

You know Nicks and Cruz have down the 1 and 2 spot but we have a log jam of talent at the WR position. Going to be interesting who is cut and who stays.

Isn't it nice to have a half dozen potential stars fighting for 3rd and 4th receiver? I remember years when we searched for filling the 1 spot and filling the 2 spot used to be a perrenial issue.

This team is loaded at nearly every position. We have a ton of depth that will come in handy once the injuries start piling up as they always do.

1) Nicks

2) Cruz

3) Hixon

4) Randle

5) Sweed

6) Jernigan

7) Douglas

8) Collins

9) Waterboy

10) Barden

You really think Hixon will beat out Randle? I don't think so. There might be some serious competition for the 4th spot, but they are going to throw Randle into the fire right away. And of course, that could all change once Barden breaks out!

1) Nicks

2) Cruz

3) Hixon

4) Randle

5) Sweed

6) Jernigan

7) Douglas

8) Collins

9) Waterboy

10) Barden

Sweed wasn't one of the two who got a call-back from the workouts this weekend. He will in all likelihood not have anything else to do with this team, let alone end up 5th on the depth chart.

Not to mention that all the reports said he struggled.

there is another WR Not sure where he stands his Name is Talley

Is WR Talley the next Victor Cruz?

Posted May 12, 2012

By Dan Salomone

Comments:3

Like Victor Cruz, WR Julian Talley is a New Jersey native who went on to play at UMass and now tries to make the team as an undrafted rookie free agent.

05-12-cruz-tally.jpg

There was a time when you didn’t know

Victor Cruzicon-article-link.gif.

There was a time when Victor Cruz wore No. 3 and used a rusting, faded blue locker that’s standard issue for rookies trying to make the team.

There was also a time when you didn’t know Victor Cruz could salsa.

If you’re having difficulty remembering all that in the wake of what transpired since then, you’re not alone. Meanwhile, Julian Talleyicon-article-link.gif is here for a refresher course.

Brought in as an undrafted rookie free agent, Talley, like Cruz, is a New Jersey native who went on to play wide receiver at UMass. Now he’s also dawning the white No. 3 practice jersey around the Timex Performance center.

“Being at UMass with him and him coming here doing the things he’s doing and me coming right after him, it’s probably expected for them to kind of put me in the same situation he was in,” said Talley, whose locker is situated near Cruz’s. “I’m just taking it in stride.”

The Minutemen’s careers overlapped in the 2008 and 2009 seasons, when Cruz had the bulk of his nearly 2,000 receiving yards with the school. Following Cruz’s departure in 2009, Talley’s numbers more than doubled as a redshirt junior and eventually finished his college career with 162 receptions for 2,090 yards (12.9-yard average) and 11 touchdowns.

A few years behind, Cruz’s accomplishments serve as blueprints for not only Talley and players from smaller schools, but undrafted rookies as a whole.

“Him leaving and coming here and watching the things he’s done on the professional level, it definitely gives me hope seeing somebody you were so close to,” Talley, who graduated from Winslow High School, said in between practices on the second day of rookie minicamp. “It gives me hope and encouragement that I potentially could do the same things as long as I do the right things first.”

If he does that, he’ll have a shot. But he’ll still have to write his own story.

“I’ve been adjusting day by day, practice by practice, drill by drill, and it’s starting to come together for me – the offense, the concepts, what they’re trying to get me to do,” he continued. “I feel good. I’m comfortable. I’m starting to get comfortable with the offense and way things work.”

JULIAN TALLEY UMASS CAREER

RECEIVING g rec yards td long 2008 12 18 234 0 34 2009 11 28 350 1 55 2010 11 56 747 6 45 2011 11 60 759 4 51 TOTAL 45 162 2090 11 55

VICTOR CRUZ UMASS CAREER

RECEIVING g rec yards td long 2007 8 1 26 0 26 2008 12 71 1064 6 69 2009 11 59 868 5 67 TOTAL 31 131 1958 11 69

You really think Hixon will beat out Randle? I don't think so. There might be some serious competition for the 4th spot, but they are going to throw Randle into the fire right away. And of course, that could all change once Barden breaks out!

Not by the end of the season, no way Randle doesn't overtake HIxon, but he'll have to earn it.

Only because Hixon knows the play book.

there is another WR Not sure where he stands his Name is Talley

They also added Brandon Collins to the WR competition this past weekend.

Scout.com had him down as a 6th or 7th round pick. He's been in trouble with the law and was kicked off the Texas Longhorns' team, but has some good numbers. 40 times were 4.37 (low) / 4.40 (high)....5'11", 187lbs.

Great to have a ton of competition at a spot that is already stocked.

I think Hixon enters camp as #3 with Barden at #4. That's entering camp. I don't doubt for a second that Randall and Jernigan will get their shots.

Nicks - Cruz - Hixon - Barden - Jernigan - Randall

The rook will have to earn his way up the depth chart. I don't think Randall will have a problem passing Jernigan and even Barden by the first couple games. Hixon/Randall WR competition may depend upon the KR/PR competition.

They also added Brandon Collins to the WR competition this past weekend.

Scout.com had him down as a 6th or 7th round pick. He's been in trouble with the law and was kicked off the Texas Longhorns' team, but has some good numbers. 40 times were 4.37 (low) / 4.40 (high)....5'11", 187lbs.

Great to have a ton of competition at a spot that is already stocked.

Practice squad/camp fodder...I don't see him making the cut. His off the field issues did not seem to be minor by any means. It's not like he got caught with pot just once and can blame it on experimentation/youth/peer pressure. He had big time legal issues from what I read.

Practice squad/camp fodder...I don't see him making the cut. His off the field issues did not seem to be minor by any means. It's not like he got caught with pot just once and can blame it on experimentation/youth/peer pressure. He had big time legal issues from what I read.

Obviously. We have at least 10 WR's in camp with at least 4 that are pre-ordained to make the team and that leaves 6 WR's fighting for maybe 1 spot on the team (the best of the bunch for special teams - ala, Tyree) and maybe 1 spot on the practice squad.

That's a great, great problem to have.

Obviously. We have at least 10 WR's in camp with at least 4 that are pre-ordained to make the team and that leaves 6 WR's fighting for maybe 1 spot on the team (the best of the bunch for special teams - ala, Tyree) and maybe 1 spot on the practice squad.

That's a great, great problem to have.

I love competition for training camp too. Nicks/Cruz/Randle/Hixon/Barden/Jernigan I have to believe are definites. I find it difficult to carry many more than 6 at the position.

RB is going to be the same. I don't see carrying any more than 4 tops..thinking it'd be 3 if it weren't for Bradshaw's feet. Bradshaw/Wilson/Scott/Ware...leaves Brown out

I think Hixon enters camp as #3 with Barden at #4. That's entering camp. I don't doubt for a second that Randall and Jernigan will get their shots.

Nicks - Cruz - Hixon - Barden - Jernigan - Randall

The rook will have to earn his way up the depth chart. I don't think Randall will have a problem passing Jernigan and even Barden by the first couple games. Hixon/Randall WR competition may depend upon the KR/PR competition.

STs is going to be key, and Barden has shown nothing there either. I just don't see how he'll suit up over Hixon, Jernigan or Randel come week 1.

STs is going to be key, and Barden has shown nothing there either. I just don't see how he'll suit up over Hixon, Jernigan or Randel come week 1.

I concur. I think the Barden project is almost at an end.

keep in mind Randle hasn't shown anything on ST either...at the NFL level anyhow...but you're right in that the 5th and 6th WR will be largely involved in ST.

Another consideration is how many you can carry on the roster vs. how many you can suit up on Sunday. Not so sure that number is the same.

I also think this will be the year that Barden will be the odd man out. Right now, I project him behind Hixon, Jernigan (even though Jernigan really has done even less than Barden, he's only had a single year to adjust to the NFL) and even Randle will be ahead of Barden. That puts Barden at #6....do we carry a 6th WR who can't play special teams and has a hard time getting in and out of routes (IE getting open)? Or, if we really need a 6th WR and think one might be the next Cruz-style player, they might keep a guy like Talley over Barden...

It all depends on how camp/exhibition season goes. Who distinguishes themselves. And I hate to say it, but how many bodies are there when the cuts are made. Because we all know that just because we have about 10 healthy bodies right now, it could change very quickly, I really hope that it doesn't though. But based on the information we have right now, I would say that the only safe receivers are Nicks, Cruz, Randle and Jernigan. I don't think Hixon is safe. Depending on what we have from other guys as far as kick returning/punt returning. We all know Jernigan has done some of that duty... Hosley can do it, Wilson can do it, Randle can do it, and even though he struggled last season, Scott would still likely be a candidate. So we can't just assume Hixon will be around because he can return kicks. His downside is that we know what he is, not really any upside with Hixon... and we know he's had some significant injuries and has shown to be somewhat fragile. All of that has to go into consideration.

Now, I thought Barden was ok on specials, but not as a returner, just on the kickoff, punting team to run downfield and make a tackle, I could be wrong.

I think if it comes down to Hixon or Barden, Hixon's special teams' value may not give him as much of an edge. Even though a lot of what I said about Hixon can be said about Barden, with respect to injuries and upside. But I believe Barden still has upside, because every year he flashes in camp. He hasn't really had a lot of opportunity when the games that count start, but opportunities are also earned. So it will be interesting to see how it plays out. For me, right now, which means nothing, I like Barden because he could still be a weapon in the receiving game. I know many smart Giants' fans on this board would disagree and say that he's already shown to be a bust. But that's how I feel right now.

It all depends on how camp/exhibition season goes. Who distinguishes themselves. And I hate to say it, but how many bodies are there when the cuts are made. Because we all know that just because we have about 10 healthy bodies right now, it could change very quickly, I really hope that it doesn't though. But based on the information we have right now, I would say that the only safe receivers are Nicks, Cruz, Randle and Jernigan. I don't think Hixon is safe. Depending on what we have from other guys as far as kick returning/punt returning. We all know Jernigan has done some of that duty... Hosley can do it, Wilson can do it, Randle can do it, and even though he struggled last season, Scott would still likely be a candidate. So we can't just assume Hixon will be around because he can return kicks. His downside is that we know what he is, not really any upside with Hixon... and we know he's had some significant injuries and has shown to be somewhat fragile. All of that has to go into consideration.

Now, I thought Barden was ok on specials, but not as a returner, just on the kickoff, punting team to run downfield and make a tackle, I could be wrong.

I think if it comes down to Hixon or Barden, Hixon's special teams' value may not give him as much of an edge. Even though a lot of what I said about Hixon can be said about Barden, with respect to injuries and upside. But I believe Barden still has upside, because every year he flashes in camp. He hasn't really had a lot of opportunity when the games that count start, but opportunities are also earned. So it will be interesting to see how it plays out. For me, right now, which means nothing, I like Barden because he could still be a weapon in the receiving game. I know many smart Giants' fans on this board would disagree and say that he's already shown to be a bust. But that's how I feel right now.

I don't think it's fair to say Scott struggled.

In pre-season he took took the ball 97 yards for a touchdown against the Bears. Then against New England, he took a fake punt flip out and went 65 yards for a touchdown. He only got 5 touches in real games and had a fumble on one of those so people were ready to write him off already.

Let me remind you that the kid was the fastest of all RB's in last years draft (4.34) even though he was bigger than the average RB....and in preseason, he didn't just outrun the pack of defenders, he gained distance between them with every step leaving those fast CB's in the dust as they couldn't even come close to matching his speed.

Also....remember that last year was a strike shortened season in which there was precious little time for the new guys to learn anything about the playbook. Now they've had a full year to study it and will have the summer to re-enforce what they've learned.

I'm really high on Scott and don't think he's been given a decent chance to make any evaluations. I think in a year or two down the road, it's going to be the Wilson/Scott show.

I don't think it's fair to say Scott struggled.

In pre-season he took took the ball 97 yards for a touchdown against the Bears. Then against New England, he took a fake punt flip out and went 65 yards for a touchdown. He only got 5 touches in real games and had a fumble on one of those so people were ready to write him off already.

Let me remind you that the kid was the fastest of all RB's in last years draft (4.34) even though he was bigger than the average RB....and in preseason, he didn't just outrun the pack of defenders, he gained distance between them with every step leaving those fast CB's in the dust as they couldn't even come close to matching his speed.

Also....remember that last year was a strike shortened season in which there was precious little time for the new guys to learn anything about the playbook. Now they've had a full year to study it and will have the summer to re-enforce what they've learned.

I'm really high on Scott and don't think he's been given a decent chance to make any evaluations. I think in a year or two down the road, it's going to be the Wilson/Scott show.

This.

If you have a small sample size, which Scott has, and you fumble in that sample size, yeah, that's not good. Plus, I think he fumbled twice, just once he got away with it. He definitely struggled when he got a chance in games that count. Preseason aside... big plays against other teams' camp fodder don't count for shit.

They tried to work him in and ball security was an issue. Can it be fixed? Hell yeah. But on what there is to go on right now, saying he struggled is a fair statement. But hey, I wouldn't have included him in that group of people that could be able to do the job if I didn't think he could get better and put that behind him.

If you have a small sample size, which Scott has, and you fumble in that sample size, yeah, that's not good. Plus, I think he fumbled twice, just once he got away with it. He definitely struggled when he got a chance in games that count. Preseason aside... big plays against other teams' camp fodder don't count for shit.

They tried to work him in and ball security was an issue. Can it be fixed? Hell yeah. But on what there is to go on right now, saying he struggled is a fair statement. But hey, I wouldn't have included him in that group of people that could be able to do the job if I didn't think he could get better and put that behind him.

According to the record book, he had 1 fumble, 5 touches (15 yds) in regular NFL games which is not a small sample.....it's an itsy, bitsy, teeny, useless sample. It's like a team's best pitcher in the minors who comes up for a cup of coffee in the majors and gets to throw 1 inning of relief where he walks a batter, then strikes out two, but then gives up a homerun by the opposition's star hitter. His ERA is now the worst in the majors at 18.00 and he is sent to back to triple-A where his 2 1/2 year ERA is below 2.00. In short.....one inning of pitching does not tell the manager that you aren't that good and they don't write him off as a failure or even struggling.

I think Scott is going to surprise a lot of people. He spent the offseason getting in better shape than he's ever been in his life and spent hundreds of hours studying tapes and familiarizing himself with the playbook. We know he has the physical tools, but he also has a chip on his shoulder and has boasted that he's going to become the team's top RB. I know that's a lot of bravado, but it's a great attitude to have.