SportsWrath

Jones likely to not play in 2012

Bigblue25

New York Giants' Chad Jones likely not ready for 2012 season

• Liked: 0 | Comments: 10

• NFL.com
  • Published: May 10, 2012 at 12:24 p.m.
  • Updated: May 10, 2012 at 12:45 p.m.

The New York Giants' third-round draft choice in 2010, Chad Jones, continues his long road to recovery after a serious car accident nearly killed him, but he likely will not be playing football any time soon, the New York Post reported Thursday.

Jones was not cleared for the Giants' three-day rookie minicamp this week, and the Post reported he probably won't be cleared to partake in the team's veteran camp June 12-14 or suit up at all this season.

Giants officials recently announced that Jones has a "long way to go," and after 14 surgeries. Jones remains in the rehabilitation phase of his recovery.

On June 25, 2010, Jones was involved in a solo-vehicle collision in his native New Orleans, which left him with critical injuries, including a badly damaged leg that cast doubt on his future as a football player.

The Giants have been addressing their depth at safety this offseason. In April, they drafted Tyler Sash, who's expected to be their third safety, behind starters Kenny Phillips and Antrel Rolle. The Giants also signed free-agent safeties Stevie Brown and Chris Horton.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828ff40e/article/new-york-giants-chad-jones-likely-not-ready-for-2012-season?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=twitterfeed

I guess Jackson has a good shot to make it.

I honestly don't see him making a single start in the NFL. Glad he can walk and run, just don't see him being the player we expected when we drafted him. Could still have a baseball career though?

I wouldn't rule jones out for 2013

And yes Jackson has a great chance to make the team. I think we rock 11 DBs on our 53

I would. I think Jones' injuries were a bit more severe than was let on.. I wish the guy well but if I feel it's better he takes another year to fully recover.

That article looks like it was written in 2011. :confused:

I agree, we certainly didn't draft Tyler Sash this April. I wonder if they copied and pasted it from 2011....

I agree, we certainly didn't draft Tyler Sash this April. I wonder if they copied and pasted it from 2011....

Yeah, poorly written article. The Sash thing threw me off until I realized the Giants signed Horton this year.

I am really hoping for Chad Jones. The article was poorly written and I don't put much stock in it as a result.

Jones injury nearly cost him his leg and quite a few reports stated that he'd never walk again. Doesn't get much more serious than that. The fact that he's walking/running again is miraculous in and of itself and I really think all would/should be impressed with just that. Jones has about a year or two left on his deal and if he doesn't get back to being fully healthy and able to clear the medical hurdles...than I think we move on. Hats off to the Giants though for keeping him on the roster and giving him the opportunity.