SportsWrath

Giants Rookie Camp Begins With Impressive Showing From Reuben Randle

Mr. P

11001013-large.jpg

After one rookie camp practice, during which the players were not wearing full pads, Tom Coughlin wasn’t ready to proclaim which players stood out to him.

Though he did highlight the morning Rueben Randle had.

The team’s second-round pick, looked very athletic and polished this morning working among fellow draft picks, undrafted free agents, rookie tryouts and veteran hopefuls. He had a couple of drops but they were overshadowed by a nice leaping catch near the sideline and a few other solid plays.

“I was very impressed by Randle out on the field this morning,” Coughlin said. “But they’re all eager. That’s the good thing. You’re going to have to if you’re NFL-ready.”

Randle’s leaping catch came on an intermediate out near the sideline. He also beat CB Jayron Hosley, the team’s third-round pick, on a deep go up the right sideline. Quarterback Ryan Perrilloux threw a perfect ball on that play.

Plus, there was one play on which Randle did a good job of “stacking” the cornerback after beating him. That means he beat the corner to the outside and then worked away from the sideline to give the quarterback an easier throw. That’s a skill Mario Manningham struggled to perfect, even in Super Bowl XLVI.

Other highlights and notes:

--RB David Wilson (first round) looks as slithering as advertising. He gets small to sneak into holes and makes quick cuts. He did try to cut back one run to the outside when he saw there was nothing there. He’s used to getting away with that in college. I’m sure that will be something Coughlin and the coaching staff will have to work on with Wilson to let him know when he can and, when he can’t, do it.

--TE Adrien Robinson showed his athleticism on one play this morning. It was a quick hook over the middle, no more than a few yards off the line. Tryout QB J.R. Suozzo (Merrimack), who had a rough morning, threw a dart over the 6-4 Robinson’s head. I mean, no touch at all. (I’m not trying to rip Suozzo, just setting the scene.) Robinson showed quick reaction to leap and rise up for the catch. It was a glimpse of the athleticism with which the Giants are enamored.

“His hands went up high fast and he made the really tough grab,” Coughlin said. “It was a short-range throw but it got on him quickly and he was able to react to it. That was a plus.”

--WR Damian Davis, a tryout from Mary Hardin-Baylor, made a couple of nifty grabs, including one on a ball up the left sideline that looked like a sure interception out of the QB’s hands. (I believe it was Suozzo but I forgot to note it.) Davis worked from the outside of CB E.J. Whitley, a veteran tryout, to make the grab. Whitley should’ve done a better job of keeping his positioning inside Davis. It seemed secondary coach Peter Giunta was impressed with Davis beating his guys because he sought out Davis after practice for what appeared to be a congratulatory handshake.

--Former Florida DB Will Hill is here on a tryout basis. The St. Peter’s Prep grad went undrafted and unsigned last year because of plenty of baggage. Hill played in the arena league last season. This morning, he jumped in front of a receiver during individual drills but didn’t hold on. “You’ve got to catch that,” Giunta said.

--Defensive coordinator Perry Fewell is in mid-training-camp form. When CB Brandon Bing jumped in front of Randle to knock away a ball on a comeback route, Fewell yelled, “Bada Bing!” Bing, a former Rutgers standout, was on the practice squad last year. As always, the guys who have been around always seem to be so much more advanced than the rookies, for obvious reasons. They just practice so much faster.

--A couple of good rushes off the edge for rookie tryout DE Lindsey Witten (UConn). He got the corner on OT Brandon Mosley (fourth-round pick), who looked a little sluggish coming out of his stance. Mosley also jumped early on one play, as did OT Joel Reinders (veteran free agent signed). It’s the first practice and they were jumpy. It happens. Though that didn’t stop the coaches from getting on them.

--Coughlin said GM Jerry Reese told him all of the draft picks are signed, or at least should be very shortly. Again, the only player whose deal hadn’t yet been reported was DT Markus Kuhn (seventh round).

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/05/giants_rookie_camp_begins_with.html

You been hanging out with Nem?

No just every season atleast one player out of no where gets some praise from the coaches and fans go nuts over them.

Then when they actually see the field you wish they never suited up in Giants blue.

No just every season atleast one player out of no where gets some praise from the coaches and fans go nuts over them.

Then when they actually see the field you wish they never suited up in Giants blue.

Yea I guess that's typical for this kind of profession though.

So who's going to be this years "guy who will be the next big thing then turn out to be nothing" ?

ala Sash, Mix, Seawright.

HAHA you bastard I was one of those guys that wanted Mix