SportsWrath

Osi to the Ravens???

Guest StrahansGap

Guest StrahansGap

Lots of talk on sports radio and on Internet in regards to Osi going to Baltimore for a high draft pick. Makes sense for the Ravens now that Suggs is out for the season. But I wouldn't take anything less than a 2nd round pick fur him. Thoughts??

Lots of talk on sports radio and on Internet in regards to Osi going to Baltimore for a high draft pick. Makes sense for the Ravens now that Suggs is out for the season. But I wouldn't take anything less than a 2nd round pick fur him. Thoughts??

Agreed.

it's stupid to trade him now. They should have been making a move before THIS draft. Trading Osi now only hurts the prospects for this season.

ha? What's wrong with getting a draft pick for next year? Osi wasn't doing much despite the whoopla... yea thanks for the few QB strips... but that's why we're gonna get something for him.

ha? What's wrong with getting a draft pick for next year? Osi wasn't doing much despite the whoopla... yea thanks for the few QB strips... but that's why we're gonna get something for him.

umm, because it doesn't improve our team this year. it makes it worse. we ARE trying to repeat here. You don't trade away one of your best players while you're trying to repeat and get nothing in return for that year.

i'm going out on a not-so-long limb, and guaranteeing you this trade doesn't happen.

Not doing much? The man had something like 11 sacks in 12 games....and was a big reason our defense didn't suck as bad at the end of the season....

We have 3 options:

1. Extension so he can retire a Giant - I really think that if this was going to happen, it would've happened already. A few things: Osi looks at his value as it would be to ANY team leaguewide whereas the Giants look at his value to the GIANTS. Whereas Osi sees himself as a dominant DE (he can be), the Giants view him as the 3rd best DE on the Giants (he is). So, the difference in perceived value, the history to date of not getting an extension done, plus the drafting of JPP/extending of Kiwi...all lead me to believe this isn't the way the Giants will go.

2. Let him walk after 2012 season - the benefits here are simple. We get his production for this season and we get a 2014 compensatory pick. The bad, that compensatory pick could be buoyed by other gains/losses next offseason. It'd be a tail end of the 4th round AT BEST return for letting him walk. His production this season would be the bigger of the two benefits by far for keeping him this season. One has to take into account his injuries and the his distractions, that I'm sure won't cease until the end of the season or until he signs elsewhere. While the Giants have good leaders and a seemingly solid locker room, I don't know that allowing this to continue and fester will be such a great idea.

3. Trade him now. The benefits - we get a draft pick in 2013 as opposed to 2014. The draft pick would also be in an earlier round. We'd also eliminate any potential distraction and we wouldn't set any sort of precedent for paying the player who bitches publicly about their deal. The cons, our benefit would be delayed AND we'd lose out on his production this season.

I think at the end of the day, we should trade him IF the price is right. The obvious question is how much, in terms of draft picks, his expected production this season is worth. The article I read this morning mentioned that the price last year was a 1st rounder. The price this year should be no less than a 2nd. I'd actually prefer a 3rd + player option. The player we'd pick up would be a DE from the team we'd trade Osi to. With Tuck and JPP drawing double coverages, the DE we'd pick up need not be even as good as Osi was and still would be successful.

If we still had Tolly, I'd trade without requesting a player in return.

looking at this from the Ravens perspective, how does this trade make any more sense for them?? Osi does not play Terrell Suggs position.

And they JUST drafted Courtney Upshaw.

Retarded article.

looking at this from the Ravens perspective, how does this trade make any more sense for them?? Osi does not play Terrell Suggs position.

And they JUST drafted Courtney Upshaw.

Retarded article.

Courtney Upshaw is a rookie who hasn't proven anything yet, but would get playing time regardless.

Suggs was primarily a rush the QB guy regardless of his position, which is pretty much what they'd ask Osi to do. Not sure if they'd stand Osi up though....but maybe.

Courtney Upshaw is a rookie who hasn't proven anything yet, but would get playing time regardless.

Suggs was primarily a rush the QB guy regardless of his position, which is pretty much what they'd ask Osi to do. Not sure if they'd stand Osi up though....but maybe.

then they better make this trade pretty damn soon, 3-4 Terrell Suggs and 4-3 DE Osi Umenyiora are two totally different positions.

then they better make this trade pretty damn soon, 3-4 Terrell Suggs and 4-3 DE Osi Umenyiora are two totally different positions.

I know and I'm only reiterating what I read. I think Osi would have an adjustment to make and not quite sure he could do it. I don't know if one of their current DEs would be able to take Suggs spot, allowing Osi to take the DE's. But fitting Osi into their system would be their problem. If Baltimore is truly interested, which I've seen nothing substantiated I might add, then I would hope the Giants would pull the trigger for a 2nd rounder or a 3rd rounder/player deal.

I don't know.... I think Osi is more like a 3-4 pass rushing linebacker than a traditional 4-3 defensive end. He lines up wide and rushes the passer down after down.

Remember, the Chargers were hot after Osi to play outside in their 3-4.

I think he'd look good as long as he's matched up on a Tackle in space - it doesn't really matter if you call him a linebacker or a defensive end as long as he's doing what he does best.

I want a first for him... I don't think the Ravens will give that. A second rounder from the Ravens is going to be a LATE 2nd rounder. They are a playoff team, and a Super Bowl contender, so remember that 2nd rounder from them is really going to be around pick 57 and later.

I would do a 2nd if they kicked in a 4th rounder.

I don't think his loss would be as bad, with Tuck and Osi taking the majority of the DE snaps, and Kiwi there also rotating in. Canty also can play DE. If Marvin Austin is good to go this year it will free up Canty more to do just that. Plus we can always get a vet in free agency, probably at vet minimum, to take some snaps. Mainly we'd just ask JPP to carry a bit more load this year, which we would want him to do anyway. Osi is a luxury, not a necessity.

Osi Umenyiora replacing Terrell Suggs is unlikely

It's not hard to connect the dots following Terrell Suggs' torn Achilles' tendon injury.

The Baltimore Ravens need a pass rusher, and New York Giants general manager Jerry Reese sounded like he was open to the possibility of trading Osi Umenyiora in comments made after the draft. To make it even juicier, The Baltimore Sun and the New York Daily News reported last year that the Ravens showed interest in Umenyiora for a possible trade.

Sounds like a match made in speculation heaven, right? Not exactly.

The Giants didn't trade Umenyiora last year because teams like the Ravens balked at New York's first-round asking price. The Giants likely received calls on Umenyiora during the draft, but again, no one made an offer Reese couldn't refuse.

It's not in Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome's DNA to give up high future draft picks. Umenyiora is especially costly because he would require a big long-term deal to make the trade sensible. (And the Ravens are tight to the salary cap.) There also are questions about how he'd fit in the 3-4 defense. Newsome probably has more confidence in his young pass rushers than the average Ravens fan.

The biggest obstacle of all here: The Giants aren't motivated sellers. They have Umenyiora under contract at a low price. He's valuable to them, and they can live through a little offseason drama. After all, they have done it plenty of times before.

Umenyiora-to-Baltimore makes sense on message boards, but we suspect the speculation will end there.

Linky-Poo

Osi Umenyiora replacing Terrell Suggs is unlikely

It's not hard to connect the dots following Terrell Suggs' torn Achilles' tendon injury.

The Baltimore Ravens need a pass rusher, and New York Giants general manager Jerry Reese sounded like he was open to the possibility of trading Osi Umenyiora in comments made after the draft. To make it even juicier, The Baltimore Sun and the New York Daily News reported last year that the Ravens showed interest in Umenyiora for a possible trade.

Sounds like a match made in speculation heaven, right? Not exactly.

The Giants didn't trade Umenyiora last year because teams like the Ravens balked at New York's first-round asking price. The Giants likely received calls on Umenyiora during the draft, but again, no one made an offer Reese couldn't refuse.

It's not in Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome's DNA to give up high future draft picks. Umenyiora is especially costly because he would require a big long-term deal to make the trade sensible. (And the Ravens are tight to the salary cap.) There also are questions about how he'd fit in the 3-4 defense. Newsome probably has more confidence in his young pass rushers than the average Ravens fan.

The biggest obstacle of all here: The Giants aren't motivated sellers. They have Umenyiora under contract at a low price. He's valuable to them, and they can live through a little offseason drama. After all, they have done it plenty of times before.

Umenyiora-to-Baltimore makes sense on message boards, but we suspect the speculation will end there.

Linky-Poo

That makes a whole lot more sense.

If I'm the ravens I do it for a 1st

They need Osi to keep there SB dreams realistic.

That defense relies on Suggs pass rush ability, and Osi does just that. Plus when Suggs becomes healthy they will have 2 elite pass rushers.

If Osi really wants out of the New York Giants....you have to let him go and get whatever you can. It's like a cancer on the team when you have an unhappy player. I remember how much better the team acted after we finally got rid of Shockey. You'd think having a couple of superbowl rings and a crazy fan base that loves him, he'd count his blessings (and there are too many to count) and shut his pie hole and get with the program for a chance at a third ring. Many a great HOF player in the NFL has never even gotten a sniff of a SB ring. And those great players would gladly play for a little less just to get one.

If Osi really wants out of the New York Giants....you have to let him go and get whatever you can. It's like a cancer on the team when you have an unhappy player. I remember how much better the team acted after we finally got rid of Shockey. You'd think having a couple of superbowl rings and a crazy fan base that loves him, he'd count his blessings (and there are too many to count) and shut his pie hole and get with the program for a chance at a third ring. Many a great HOF player in the NFL has never even gotten a sniff of a SB ring. And those great players would gladly play for a little less just to get one.

I think had Osi gone about his "demands" the right way, the organization might've extended him a better offer. I don't, and evidently neither does the organization, think Osi is as high valued as he thinks he is... he's the 3rd best DE on our team... he SIGNED a long contract/extension.... demanding a pay increase with years left is laughable... and $4M a year isn't exactly chump change... especially for a guy who is A. Vulnerable against the run, B. Disappears for games on end and C. is a one trick pony. Osi is NOT Michael Strahan and no fucking way the Giants are going to make him the 2nd highest paid player behind Eli... because simply put he is not the 2nd best player on the team.. or the 3rd.. or the 4th.. I can keep going.

The Giants have leverage.. the worst than can happen is he stays.. unhappy (but has to perform in order to get a nice contract) and we get a compensatory picky for him anyway... OR just trade him for a pick next year... others will step up to fill whatever tiny void he leaves behind.

You know, I usually don't let the business aspect of football really get to me, but with Osi, I'm simply f'ing over it. If he would keep his mouth shut to the press, kept his issues with management in house, I still wouldn't be upset if he held out of camp or something similar. But he got a very good contract that was front loaded, and now wants to renegotiate the terms. By the end of this season he'll have collected $41 million. He got a lot of money early in that deal. So Osi, don't like it? Don't let the door hit you on the way out, and the Giants will just save that $3.9 million you're owed next season... otherwise, shut your pie hole, play out your contract like a professional, and quit your damn bitching.

*Edit - If I'm Reese I ask him if he wants the $4 million or not. In no uncertain terms, we are not renegotiating, we are not trading you unless we get a first, and if nobody's willing to pay that, then you will find out how much money you can get on the open market after this season, when you're a UFA, and not before.

By the way Nas, his deal average just shy of $6 million per year. He got more money early in the deal.

I can't say anything bad about Osi

All these "bitching and moaning" "Osi stfu" blah blah blah is a bunch of BS!!

When it's week 1, Osi is all business and every teamate loves him and his hard work ethic.

Osi is an elite pass rusher and yea he just so happens to be the 3rd best DE on our team! Lucky us! Let's not toss that away for peanuts. It's very simple, if he's being trade at this point it better be for a 1st round pick or else I'll be very disappointed.

This is a win now team. We can repeat this year, I know we can. And without Osi it will be much harder to do.

What if Tuck rolls his ankle? Or JPP what if he gets a broken collarbone?

Osi is an incredible luxury to have this year at $4 million and he isn't half the distraction everyone makes him out to be. It's just blown up by the media.

Osi will be back for the year and he will put up 12-14 sacks and make some BANK elsewhere next year.

And Bleedin you can't compare Osi and Shockey IMO.

Nobody on the team hates Osi, they all love him.

Shockey was hated by many lol. Especially Amani Toomer.

Osi just hates Jerry Reese. He would never let Tom Coughlin down though and thats all that matters.

Osi signed that deal way back when his 2nd year coming off a hip flexor injury and he will play out his deal. I feel for him though since $4 mill is underpaid at this point with inflation and DEs making BANK these days. But Tuck doesn't cry. Either way Osi is here and he is staying.

IMO Osi pure up 13 sacks and 7 FFs and gets a 4 year $34 mill deal $21.5 guaranteed deal from another team. Book it.

No, you tell him he's a giant for 1 more year in his contract. He is either going to play and try his best to earn his new contract in free agency, or hes going to hold out all year and earn a horrible contract in free agency.

The Giants aren't going to give away Osi unless it benefits them in some way.

One year of his services as he tries to impress future teams to open their wallets makes him a valuable asset to the team this year.....far more valuable than a draft pick next year which is a crap shoot anyway.

A guaranteed power player in the NFL this year vs. the possiblity of a pretty decent player in the future? I don't think so.